Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Employer presented me an opportunity for 12 month stint in Johannesburg starting February 2022. Who would say no?!!

So, I'll be lurking on these Africa pages and reaching out for input.

I'm not a biggame nor a trophy hunter, but certainly want to take advantage of opportunity to hunt while in SA. I'm in Michigan and hunt whitetail, moose and upland birds.

What are the best small to medium size critters to hunt in Africa which I could bring back to my apartment in Johannesburg to increase my culinary enjoyment while on the safari continent for a year?
I do all my own aging & butchering at home in Michigan, but need to do more research on transporting game between African countries for personal consumption.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nyala is superb table fare.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Chilled capuchin monkey brains is good eats....

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JeffP

Not planning on blowgun hunting, so I'll stick with nyala. grin

Nyala are interesting creatures. Females are somewhat reminiscent of whitetail, but the males are uniquely african.
Although I'm not a trophy hunter, the male's spiral horn would make for interesting contrast to my whitetail euro mounts. Also curious how backstraps compare.

Looking forward to learning more about African game species.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Buy the perfect shot book by Kevin Robertson, it’s gives a brief look into the most common African game animals.

IC B2

K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks GRF! Just ordered the THE PERFECT SHOT II - A Complete Revision of the Shot Placement for African Big Game. Will certainly tempt me to expand my hunting pursuits after I see everything the continent has to offer.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You do realize that Africa is a huge continent and Joberg is at the southern end…. Best to concentrate on common plains game in RSA. They can be hunted quite cheaply for meat/biltong.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
jdollar, I think I saw where you said you were going over before long. What are your thoughts on getting the COVID vaccination, and are you vaxed?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Gemsbok backstraps cooked over Mopane coals are like the best Filet Mignon at Ruth Chris Steakhouse

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
oryx or gemsbok is best eating

you find find hunts for cheap if you look/dig

there's american prices, and then local prices.

make sure to make it to namibia.

plenty of cheap fallow deer hunts east cape.

bird hunting is real good.

as for living in jo-berg

normally i'd be jelly but ur stepping into a war zone right now. keep ur crap in a pile and heed all local advice about who to avoid, and places to not go. operate like ur south of 8 mile on a hot friday summer night and you should be fine.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite game meat in Africa is Zebra.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
jdollar, I think I saw where you said you were going over before long. What are your thoughts on getting the COVID vaccination, and are you vaxed?

Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw this post. I leave in 4 days for the Caprivi via Doha, Joberg, and Kasane, then drive into Namibia. I and my wife( who has a PhD in nursing education) are vaccinated. As a retired physician, I consider anyone that is refusing the vaccine as stupid. It’s free insurance against a potentially fatal disease. Granted, the mortality rate is low, but the hospitalization rate isn’t for unvaccinated people. 85-90 % of people in hospitals due to COVID are unvaccinated. Enough said.
)

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kappa8
Originally Posted by JeffP

Not planning on blowgun hunting, so I'll stick with nyala. grin

Nyala are interesting creatures. Females are somewhat reminiscent of whitetail, but the males are uniquely african.
Although I'm not a trophy hunter, the male's spiral horn would make for interesting contrast to my whitetail euro mounts. Also curious how backstraps compare.

Looking forward to learning more about African game species.

Stop BSing everybody. EVERY HUNTER is a trophy hunter. Whether the meat, or a spike buck, or a B&C buck, everyone hunts for THEIR trophy, whatever it is.

Do not apologize for being a hunter!

Impala can be found in most of South Africa. They are roughly the size of a whitetail and are interesting to hunt. They taste good, although the old ram I shot last time was not aged for a great length of time and was pretty chewy.

I haven't eaten bushbuck, but they are neat to hunt and slightly smaller than a whitetail.

Most Africans rate eland as the best.

Enjoy your stay.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Once you get there I doubt you will have any problems deciding which "trophies" you would like to take. It's one thing to see them in a book and another to see them in person. When I went it was clear I wanted a:
Gensbok
Impala
Wildebeast
Kudu
Blesbok
Zebra
Warthog
I'm sorry I didn't get an opportunity at a Nyala
I have no doubt you'll easily come up with your own list.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Eland. Full stop.
Impala
Kudu
Nyala
Warthog

That's all I can recommend that I've had.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J Dollar
I would say You Suck! smile smile
But I have been back from Botswana just barely 2 weeks!
Hope your trip goes as well as ours, hunt report coming
Kevin

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope Doha airport is back to normal. I went Qatar (dfw) Doha, Joburg, Bulawayo in May and transit to BUBYE VALLEY. QATAR business class is the best value I have seen.

God’s speed and enjoy the Bush. It was way lush in the Bubye after remnants of two cyclones left roads terrible. The folks working roads did miracles to make Safari doable. Unfortunately the lucky hunter after me got MY leopard!😎

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jdollar
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw this post. I leave in 4 days for the Caprivi via Doha, Joberg, and Kasane, then drive into Namibia. I and my wife( who has a PhD in nursing education) are vaccinated. As a retired physician, I consider anyone that is refusing the vaccine as stupid. It’s free insurance against a potentially fatal disease. Granted, the mortality rate is low, but the hospitalization rate isn’t for unvaccinated people. 85-90 % of people in hospitals due to COVID are unvaccinated. Enough said.
)

I knew you were some sort of Dr, so thanks for the info. Best of luck on your trip.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kushtaka
Eland. Full stop.
Impala
Kudu
Nyala
Warthog

That's all I can recommend that I've had.

Eland was easily my favorite. Zebra can be very good, also. If you like liver eland liver is the best I ever ate. The "problem" with these two are size. THEY'RE B I G !!! You can no doubt arrange with the landowner to sell a lot of it.

Take the saddle out of a Steenbok and make a crown roast. Stuff the center with fatty pork sausage/seasoned bread dressing. wink

Pork crown roast at our Christmas table a few years ago. Looks fancy, but it's easy.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang you Bruce---your making me hungry.

Cape Buffalo is also good.

K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Appreciate all the great replies! I'm enjoying Robertson's book and looking at his entries per all your suggestions. Obviously highly subjective, but including a "tastiness" or "table fare" rating might be a worthwhile addition for Perfect Shot III.

The most interesting part for each game species are his varied rifle/caliber/bullet selections (and always being reminded that you're in dangerous game country). He does have a preference for 7x57 for many medium size ruminants, but I'm not hurrying out to get one. My 7mm mag will handle anything on the larger side of medium. Even though I do have a 223/5.56, perhaps this is a good time to consider 22-250 or 243 or similar fast/flat shooting. Not sure I wanna join the 6.5 Creedmoor ballyhoo (although it is quite versatile). Basically, since I don't reload, something with good commercial offerings.

K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
as for living in jo-berg

normally i'd be jelly but ur stepping into a war zone right now. keep ur crap in a pile and heed all local advice about who to avoid, and places to not go. operate like ur south of 8 mile on a hot friday summer night and you should be fine.

Yep, aware and definitely not sharing that kind of intel with wife. But, will definitely be mindful when family comes down to visit. What does SA say about CCW? Or pistols in apartments for self-protection? Do they even acknowledge such a right?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jo-berg may not be the a$$hole of Africa, but it is the dark skin next to it. It's a rough place so be careful.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Well, I harken from Detroit and spend time in Chicago so am aware of how to identify "no go" unsafe zones. That adaptation is valuable everywhere.

Problem is, sometimes trouble comes & finds you. Any idea whether pistols are legal for self-defense inside one's abode in Pretoria?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any idea whether pistols are legal for self-defense inside one's abode in Pretoria?

I don't know the exact laws, but I can tell you every private resident I have met has handguns in their home. Not sure if that's possible being a US citizen and all. If I lived there I would have one either way, law be damned.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
J
J
If your a bow hunter I can hook you up with the best outfitter there. Pelser Bowhunting Adventure. I’ve hunted with them 8 times and they are the best.

K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks John. Offer noted & appreciated. Will get back to you in future if I do end up bringing archery gear in addition to firearms.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Any idea whether pistols are legal for self-defense inside one's abode in Pretoria?

I don't know the exact laws, but I can tell you every private resident I have met has handguns in their home. Not sure if that's possible being a US citizen and all. If I lived there I would have one either way, law be damned.

All firearms in RSA must be licensed. Each individual gun
As visiting hunters we get a temporary importation license for hunting and MUST take the firearm home when we leave (The SAPS form)

Residents must get a license per gun. The process includes interviews, background check and home inspection. It used to be a “speedy” two year average but since COVID 2 years is a pipe dream

They are pushing to eliminate licensing for personal defense

“The law be dammed”??? Trust me, you don’t want to find out what the inside of a South African prison looks like. And if you are found with an unlicensed firearm you will.

Recent article on the topic

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thecon...frica-tightening-the-law-and-more-166194

Last edited by Termin8r; 10/08/21.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Oh…for me…Kudu Tenderloin is the best meat I have ever eaten

Meat…not game meat

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,254
Posts18,467,002
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.