Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
If a non-resident hunter or hiker was hunting or backpacking in Alaska could she or he carry, or even purchase a pistol in Alaska?

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
BP-B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nr can’t buy a pistol here, nr can carry a pistol here this isn’t New Jersey

Last edited by 79S; 08/19/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
wrong state, bud. Helpful replies please.

Oscar Wilde~~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
If a non-resident hunter or hiker was hunting or backpacking in Alaska could she or he carry, or even purchase a pistol in Alaska?

In the "Field" Yes, as far as Alaska laws. Would still be subject to convicted felon federal restriction. To purchase they would need to meet BATF&E requirements, but most important would be having valid identification. Now if it is illegal for you to possess said handgun in you resident state or country, you would need to leave it here (Maybe a safe deposit box) or sell it. It might get grey area, if you were concealed carrying in an urban area. Alaska has that pretty much reserved for residents, that meet the simple requirements.

Last edited by AGL4now; 08/19/21.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So, a routine background check? I was thinking of how immpossible it would be to bring a pistol through Canada to get to Alaska. Even when the border reopens. Driving not flying.

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, a routine background check? I was thinking of how immpossible it would be to bring a pistol through Canada to get to Alaska. Even when the border reopens. Driving not flying.
Carry a long gun through Canada (assuming they allow travel).Mail your handgun to the FFL in Tok, Alaska and pick it up there is one way to handle it.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hastings
Carry a long gun through Canada (assuming they allow travel).Mail your handgun to the FFL in Tok, Alaska and pick it up there is one way to handle it.

Great idea, so, that is settled.

Thanks

Oscar Wilde~~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

You CANNOT bring a pistol through Canada. You can fly with one to Alaska or take one on the ferry, but you can't cross the border into Canada with one. Long guns are another story but you need to have your paperwork in order before you get to the border crossing.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ryoushi

You CANNOT bring a pistol through Canada. You can fly with one to Alaska or take one on the ferry, but you can't cross the border into Canada with one. Long guns are another story but you need to have your paperwork in order before you get to the border crossing.

I knew Canada was a NO on pistols, someday they may not allow long guns to come through, even as an Alaskan destination. I was checking on paper work for long guns, plus paper work for reentry back into the states.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AGL4now

In the "Field" Yes, as far as Alaska laws. Would still be subject to convicted felon federal restriction. To purchase they would need to meet BATF&E requirements, but most important would be having valid identification. Now if it is illegal for you to possess said handgun in you resident state or country, you would need to leave it here (Maybe a safe deposit box) or sell it. It might get grey area, if you were concealed carrying in an urban area. Alaska has that pretty much reserved for residents, that meet the simple requirements.

Being clueless never slows you down! That is a rare talent!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes you can carry, open or concealed anywhere in AK, except for closed areas like Federal buildings, courthouses, bars, etc.

Unless they have probable cause police cannot even ask for ID.

There is no such thing as a standard background check. NICS checks are absolutely reserved for changes in possession.
Originally Posted by ryoushi

How does one get through Canada after you leave the ferry? Ferries through Canada to Seward or Whittier are rare, if they are even running them this year.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That went right over your head.... I was Insinuating that alaska is not New Jersey and carrying pistol is not frowned upon.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wouldnt that ffl in Tok have to do a background check in order for them to receive that pistol? Does the OP have any friends up here they can mail stuff to?

Last edited by 79S; 08/19/21.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 79S

That went right over your head.... I was Insinuating that alaska is not New Jersey and carrying pistol is not frowned upon.

It's okay. No worries.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 08/19/21.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 79S
So, a routine background check? I was thinking of how impossible it would be to bring a pistol through Canada to get to Alaska. Even when the border reopens. Driving not flying.

Wouldnt that ffl in Tok have to do a background check in order for them to receive that pistol? Does the OP have any friends up here they can mail stuff to?

Everybody I have ever met that has been to Alaska is from New York, so, to answer the question: "No I haven't made any friends that could help me". Kinda wish I knew some folks though, but that is why I am here I guess.

Oscar Wilde~~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
https://dps.alaska.gov/Statewide/R-I/PermitsLicensing/InAlaska

Alaska Statutes Alaska Statutes 11.61.190 through 11.61.220 describe conduct with a weapon that is criminal. There is no prohibition against carrying a concealed weapon so long as the prohibited behaviors regarding the carry are respected:

The person is 21 years or older.
The person is eligible to own or possess a handgun under state and federal laws
The firearm is legal.
Upon contact with a peace officer, the person immediately informs the officer about the weapon, and allows the officer to secure the weapon for the duration of the contact.
The person does not carry the weapon if they are intoxicated or impaired by alcohol or controlled substances
The person does not carry the concealed weapon in certain places:
In someone else's home without their specific knowledge and permission
In any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for on-site consumption, except a restaurant and the person does not consume alcohol beverages
In or around any public or private K-12 school or on a school bus without the knowledge and consent of the school's administrator. (weapons may be unloaded and locked in the trunk of a car or secured in a locked container)
In or around a child care facility. (weapons may be unloaded and locked in the trunk of a car or secured in a locked container)
In a courthouse, court room, or office of the court system or justice related agencies
In domestic violence or sexual assault shelters.

Alaska's laws do not apply to federal property, offices, installations, or places under federal jurisdiction. Such places can include national parks, military bases, federal court buildings, space rented by federal offices, airports, or airport terminal areas. Please consult with the appropriate federal agency before deciding if weapon carry or concealed carry is permitted.

The owners or management of facilities, including such places as hospitals, universities, gymnasiums, or private property, may restrict or deny concealed carry on their premises. Failure to comply while on their property could violate trespass statutes.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have mailed guns to myself several times. It is not illegal to do so.

I have not used a general delivery address, but that may be a possibility.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It is illegal to mail a handgun unless it goes FFL to FFL. It is legal to mail long-guns to yourself "in care of" someone else, but note that the someone else can neither open the box NOR "take possession" of the weapon. ATF has said before that means YOU have to BE THERE to receive the package.

Though I do not use them, my understanding is that neither UPS nor FedEx will let anyone ship a handgun to someone who is not an FFL holder.

I would talk to the FFL holder "in Tok" you want to ship "in care of," because if I were him I would refuse to participate because I would have no way to be sure it was not an illegal transfer. Anyone can write any name and address they want in the return-address area on the package.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

They cannot purchase a handgun in Alaska, but I am aware of no law that says they cannot concealed-carry anywhere a resident could.

They are required to immediately advise any LE officer they have contact with that they are carrying.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just wondering about a purchase from a Alaskan FFL holder? Seems to me a purchase in Alaska would be less complicated rather than going through all above. Then, when trip is complete sell the pistol back. That may sound foolish, but just a thought.
Iam currently considering a permit in.my home state, our laws go by County judge in residing county. Their call, regardless of past offences, or if any.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 08/20/21.

Oscar Wilde~~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.