Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pull up alaskagunshipping .com, they will handle getting your handgun to you in Tok.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As to alaskagunshipping.com, if you do not use one of their preferred dealers to ship to them it would be a real good idea to call them so it is not treated as a transfer. Otherwise the deal won't go through for a non resident.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
If a non-resident hunter or hiker was hunting or backpacking in Alaska could she or he carry, or even purchase a pistol in Alaska?

They cannot purchase a handgun in Alaska, but I am aware of no law that says they cannot concealed-carry anywhere a resident could.

They are required to immediately advise any LE officer they have contact with that they are carrying.

You know, it might be a good idea to know something before posting it...

You are absolutely NOT REQUIRED to immediately advise anybody.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Hastings
So, a routine background check? I was thinking of how immpossible it would be to bring a pistol through Canada to get to Alaska. Even when the border reopens. Driving not flying.
Carry a long gun through Canada (assuming they allow travel).Mail your handgun to the FFL in Tok, Alaska and pick it up there is one way to handle it.

Wouldnt that ffl in Tok have to do a background check in order for them to receive that pistol? Does the OP have any friends up here they can mail stuff to?

Nope...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just wondering about a purchase from a Alaskan FFL holder? Seems to me a purchase in Alaska would be less complicated rather than going through all above. Then, when trip is complete sell the pistol back. That may sound foolish, but just a thought.
Iam currently considering a permit in.my home state, our laws go by County judge in residing county. Their call, regardless of past offences, or if any.

Buying a gun in any state is a function of the laws of the State you are buying in. Most states require the purchase be legal in your home state also. That is not always the case... in AK, residents of most eastern states may not purchase firearms.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is illegal to mail a handgun unless it goes FFL to FFL. It is legal to mail long-guns to yourself "in care of" someone else, but note that the someone else can neither open the box NOR "take possession" of the weapon. ATF has said before that means YOU have to BE THERE to receive the package.

Though I do not use them, my understanding is that neither UPS nor FedEx will let anyone ship a handgun to someone who is not an FFL holder.

I would talk to the FFL holder "in Tok" you want to ship "in care of," because if I were him I would refuse to participate because I would have no way to be sure it was not an illegal transfer. Anyone can write any name and address they want in the return-address area on the package.

Why do you insist on posting stuff that is not correct or reasonable?

You are wrong on FedEx and UPS... both allow anyone to ship guns and handguns and they do not check for legality. They open their own can of worms when they start trying to interpret law.

Simply because you fail to understand how ridiculous you are does not mean everyone else would not laugh at it... why would anyone willing to break the law worry about any other particular law?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sec. 11.61.220. Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree.
(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person
(1) is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon,
(A) that is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person fails to
(i) immediately inform the peace officer of that possession; or

(ii) allow the peace officer to secure the deadly weapon, or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, during the duration of the contact;

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LoadClear
(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person
(1) is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon,
(A) that is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person fails to

(ii) allow the peace officer to secure the deadly weapon, or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, during the duration of the contact;

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good information.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I don’t understand your intent with the quote and red text… a defensive weapon per AK is something like a taser or baton. Firearms definitely count. Also, through case law, a firearm is considered concealed if it is within ready access- like under the seat of the car, etc.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I don’t understand your intent with the quote and red text… a defensive weapon per AK is something like a taser or baton. Firearms definitely count. Also, through case law, a firearm is considered concealed if it is within ready access- like under the seat of the car, etc.

Not the way it has been explained to me as a juror in an AK court...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
(20) "defensive weapon" means an electric stun gun, or a device to dispense mace or a similar chemical agent, that is not designed to cause death or serious physical injury;

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If a non-resident hunter or hiker was hunting or backpacking in Alaska could she or he carry, or even purchase a pistol in Alaska?

They cannot purchase a handgun in Alaska, but I am aware of no law that says they cannot concealed-carry anywhere a resident could.

They are required to immediately advise any LE officer they have contact with that they are carrying.

You know, it might be a good idea to know something before posting it...

Why is it that the fools always have the biggest mouths?

The statute could hardly be any more clear.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
(20) "defensive weapon" means an electric stun gun, or a device to dispense mace or a similar chemical agent, that is not designed to cause death or serious physical injury;

Yes, the statute makes an exception for ordinary pocket knives and defensive weapons. So what? Why are we discussing the exception when the question is about concealed handguns?

Simply because some dimwit highlighted it?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yes, the statute makes an exception for ordinary pocket knives and defensive weapons. So what? Why are we discussing the exception when the question is about concealed handguns?

Simply because some dimwit highlighted it?

You really want to go there?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

The only thing we need to hear from you is an apology for this absolutely terrible advice that, if followed, would get people immediately hauled to jail.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The only thing we need to hear from you is an apology for this absolutely terrible advice that, if followed, would get people immediately hauled to jail.

Would far rather take advice from the judge. Little thing about self-incrimination... the fact they cannot change.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Hastings
Pull up alaskagunshipping .com, they will handle getting your handgun to you in Tok.

Pissing contests aside, this is the answer the OP is looking for. And no, an AK FFL cannot sell you a handgun unless he ships it to a FFL in your home state for pickup. That would defeat your purpose. No doubt many thousands of others have had the same issue you do. No need to reinvent the wheel. Have fun and don’t get kilt by a bear or molested by some bad guy. I’ll soon be flying up with my 10mm myself, and hope to avoid the same grisly fate.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Correct

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

You are completely wrong, but I'm sure you are proud of owning the stupid badge.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 49 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.