Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
A while back "Blaserman" started an interesting thread regarding the whereabouts (status?) of 220 Swift fans.
I responded along with many other folks and I enjoyed/enjoy that thread.
By coincidence I bought a mint condition used Remington 40-X in caliber 220 Swift during the early term of that thread.
I have been on hold trying to get to the range with my newly set-up 220 Swift - mostly weather delays but many family obligations and out of state visitors added to the delay in shooting.
AND... I have not been able to find any 220 Swift brass in the last month to build my own ammo for this nifty old Rifle (manufactured May of 1992).
So I settled on buying some Hornady 220 Swift ammo that uses the Hornady 55 grain V-Max bullet.
Well today in mixed/marginal conditions (raining, head wind at 3 to 5 MPH and heavy smoke/poor light) I finally got to my friends private range and sighted the new to me Swift in.
I had bought 5 boxes of the Hornady 55 grain V-Max ammo so I was hoping it would shoot even just okay with that factory stuff.
Well to say I was thrilled with the results (the Rifle and the Hornady factory ammo) would be an understatement!
To begin with the first two shots (from a cleaned and oiled barrel!) at 100 yards were cutting each other on the cardboard backing that I attached my target to!
Promising that - I thought.
I adjusted up a foot and over a few inches and fired two more shots (again they were touching each other there at 100 yards).
I decided to fire a five shot group next - no matter where they were to hit from my point of aim.
The resulting 5 shot group at 100 yards measured .304"!
Remember this is with factory ammunition in a "high performance" caliber!
I was just shaking my head in semi-disbelief at those results - and at the same time thanking my lucky stars.
I fired one more round after adjusting the Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope to adjust to final intended point of impact.
Now I had 10 rounds of Hornady brass to someday begin load development with and as the rain was now coming down hard (and I left my coat back at home where it wasn't raining when I left) I decided to call it a day.
I know that ONE five shot group at 100 yards is not absolute proof of a Rifle/ammunitions prowess/potential but in this instance I am very confident that Rock Chucks and Prairie Dogs better be wary.

Over the last several years I have had occasion to shoot factory Hornady ammunition in several different heavy barrel Rifles (including 7 Rifles in 204 Ruger, 3 in 223 Remington and 1 in 22-250 Remington) and in every case the factory ammunition performed (accuracy and lethality wise) way better than I expected.
So here is an "atta-boy" to the folks at Hornady munitions - keep up the good work.

Anyway here is another long time "Swift fan" with another big smile on his face!
Long live the 220 Swift.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: And to you few Leupold "naysayers" on this forum, I say - you are getting easier and easier to ignore.
The Leupold scope today performed just wonderfully - and as I adjusted out EVERY bit of parallax on my 100 yard target I looked at the "parallax yard markers" on the Leupolds adjustable objective and it read EXACTLY on the 100 yard indicator!
In full disclosure I have had some Leupolds in the past that were a bit off "the mark" at 100 yards, parallax markings wise - but again NOT today.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I got a number of boxes of "Frontier" (I think this is Hornady) .220 Swift ammo at a gun shop auction twenty-five years ago. It was 50, 55, and 60 grain ammo. I've only had one .220 Swift , a Ruger 77V. I still have this rifle that I bought used thirty or so years ago, but it's now on its second barrel. As I recall, the Frontier/ Hornady ammo shot very well, but I don't remember chronographing any of it. I'm still using some of the brass and it's good brass.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've Had very good luck with Hornandy 220 Swift 55 gr. also!

For me it almost doesn't pay to re load my own, with the Hornandy in mind!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have had excellent results with the Hornady .220 Swift ammo in my Remington.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
I've Had very good luck with Hornandy 220 Swift 55 gr. also!

For me it almost doesn't pay to re load my own, with the Hornandy in mind!

Forgot to add; Winchester Model 70 .220 Swift! Mfg. 1948, !W/Unertle Scope

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Lotech, HunterShooter58 & Just a Hunter: I just returned from a 170 mile (round trip) journey to the gunshop where I bought the Hornady 55 grain V-Max ammo originally and alas they were now sold out of that ammo!
Oh well - I did well on firearms and scopes there - so that mitigated the fact that no more 220 Swift Hornady ammo was to be bought today.
I am still stunned at the accuracy results I got yesterday with this factory Hornady 220 Swift ammo.
I also am puzzled as to whether or not I need to even try to develop handloads for this Rifle at this time.
The 90 rounds I have left of the factory stuff should last me a while.
I am still puzzled how the Hornady folks can get such consistent neck tension and charge loads from their automated loading equipment.
Last night I decided NOT to clean the barrel of the new to me Remington 40-X and when I get some dead calm conditions I am going to try one more five shot group at 100 yards to make sure of the accuracy potential of this ammo with this Rifle.
If anyone comes across any Hornady 220 Swift 55 grain V-Max ammunition please give me a heads up.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
HunterShooter58: Good for you on the cool Rifle and the good results with the Hornady ammo - and if I might ask is your 1948 Winchester a "Standard Rifle" or a "Target Model"?
Also which model of Unertl scope is it?
I have been a long time user, admirer and trader of Unertl target scopes.
Aaaahh..... for the old times to return.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I guess I am the odd man out on this one, I only have one 220 Swift left but it is my favorite. A Winchester "Heavy Varmint". It also has a Leupold 6.5x20 scope on it. With this factory ammo my rifle will never shoot a three shot group under 1", with my hand loads this rifle will shoot sub 1/2"

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Boatanchor: Your experiences are appreciated even though there is differences.
More proof that each Rifle is "an individual" and so often one set of components that shoots great in one Rifle won't shoot well in another.
Like my old friend used to say "Rifle shooting causes questions".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
HunterShooter58: Good for you on the cool Rifle and the good results with the Hornady ammo - and if I might ask is your 1948 Winchester a "Standard Rifle" or a "Target Model"?
Also which model of Unertl scope is it?
I have been a long time user, admirer and trader of Unertl target scopes.
Aaaahh..... for the old times to return.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Target, Bull Barrel! Shoots unbelievable!
15 or 20 Power Ultra Varmint! (Trying to Remember)
I have a few Unertl's! Old School! I like em!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 08/21/21.

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
HunterShooter58: Oh my, what a cool Rifle you have there - you are making me swoon!
I have owned "Ultra-Varmints" in both 12 and 15 power and I believe they came in 20 power as well - at one time I had three of them on heavy barrel Varminters.
I am down to just one now and an ultra-clear Unertl BV-20!
Yeah a sad day when Unertl ended.
Heres to old times.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
All: Well the second trip to the range with the new to me 220 Swift this morning "proved up" - I drove the 26 miles to my friends private range in dead calm conditions parked the VarmintMobile and sure enough here comes the wind (breeze!).
I sped up the prep and settled the heavy Rifle into my Hart benchrest and fired 5 shots in pretty rapid order as conditions were getting worse (wind and smoke).
Again, today, the resulting five shot group at 100 yards just amazed me - todays grouping measured .346"!
And remember this was done with the factory Hornady 55 grain V-Max ammo.
The breeze at my back and the smoke were bad enough after that to discourage me from firing anymore of this "precious" factory ammo.
I've about made up my mind to just dedicate this Rifle to firing the Hornady ammo and forsaking my normal routine of tuning some handloads for my Rifles.
I only have two Rifles as of now that shoot factory ammo so well I don't handload for them - one is a Remington 700 BDL in 25/06 Remington (that shoots the 100 grain Remington PSP ammo) and a Tikka T-3 in 338 Federal (that shoots the Federal 185 grain Barnes TSX).
I guess I am gonna have a third Rifle that I won't have to buy dies and components for - just go with the factory ammo?
Again kudos to the folks at Hornady for the good job on the 55 grain V-Max loads.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Well when you get ready to load for it you know one bullet that will shoot accurately and have a good place to start.

The factory has thrown down the gauntlet. You’ve been challenged and if you can’t beat it you can no longer post on this forum. 😁
You will also have to relinquish your reloader’s license and re-apply for a learner’s permit. 😁

Last edited by navlav8r; 08/23/21.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Well when you get ready to load for it you know one bullet that will shoot accurately and have a good place to start.

The factory has thrown down the gauntlet. You’ve been challenged and if you can’t beat it you can no longer post on this forum. 😁
You will also have to relinquish your reloader’s license and re-apply for a learner’s permit. 😁

Does .278 outside to outside for 5 shots qualify? Taint no factory that costs 1.50 per. Think all in for that group was about 1.75 at most. Sure it was 52 grain but 55’s do just as well for about 5 cents more per group.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Swifty52: Yes that grouping with those handloads in that caliber "qualifies" (for what I don't know?) but I am still impressed with the Hornady factory ammunition!
And yes I paid $31.00 (no sales tax in Montana) per box of twenty rounds for that ammo - so your estimate is just a tad low (actually $1.55 per round/shot).
Would love to hear about the particulars on the bullet/loading/Rifle that made that super grouping for you.
Enjoy that rig.

Navlav8r: I taught myself to reload 62 years ago when I was 12 years old - so "I" have permanent "Handloading License".
Back when the 204 Ruger first came out (and I was among the first to buy and use one) all that was available to shoot was Hornady factory ammunition (2,004).
My first 204 Ruger Rifle was a heavy barrel Ruger Model 77 V/T - it shot that Hornady factory ammo so well I was HARD PRESSED to eventually overtake the accuracy of that factory ammo with my handloads.
Had to go to Berger 35 grain match quality bullets to best the factory stuff - and then NOT by much!
If I get bored and curious as to just how well this Remington 40-X will shoot I will be using some of the wonderful Berger 52 grainers for "testing"!
I will let you know if I go to handloading for this new to me rig.
I do know this I am certain the 40-X and the factory ammo will be "minute-of-Rock Chuck" out to 600 yards and "minute of Prairie Dog" out to 500 yards - and that is as far as I wish to poke at'em.
Long live the 220 Swift.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i went a different twist 1-10 reason in Berger book was posted better twist for 60 gr. bullets for a 220 Swift we use 60 gr. Nosler partitions for coyote hunting with dogs that reason is too not ruin the coyote hides they still have some value if the hide does not have big holes in hide. the 220 Swift is still my favorite all time varmint cartridge , 2nd would be the little old school 22 Hornet .

Last edited by pete53; 08/24/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Pete53: Keep after'em!
Of all the bullets I have used in my hoard of 220 Swifts I have never tried anything heavier than 55 grains.
For instance I have another Remington 40-X in 220 Swift - it is a 40XB-KS model - this single shot stainless version has the standard 27 1/4" barrel and it shoots the old timey 55 grain Sierra Blitz bullets (not the Blitz-Kings just the Blitz) into incredibly small groups and is very deadly on Coyotes (and Rock Chucks!).
Its been a while since I kill't a Coyote with it but I don't remember these bullets being especially "pelt unfriendly".
One of my Hunting partners years ago cautioned me not to try/use these bullets in my Swifts as it would "disintegrate" mid-flight. That caution turned out to be baseless and again it is VERY accurate.
Yep the 220 Swift is in my top five all-time favorite Varmint/predator cartridges.
Ultra-flat trajectory, super-speeds (gets to the target "immediately" thus diminishing wind drift!) and excellent accuracy. The only drawbacks I have encountered in my long time usage of this cartridge is barrel heat, throat wear and brass life.
These can be dealt with.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hi VG - Hornady seems to have their act together regarding ammo these days. Using their ammo, one of my 204 Rugers shoots in the 0.3s and my 17 hornet shoots in the high teens! They shot so well I bought a couple cases of ammo for each one. I normally reload, but with this kind of accuracy combined with not a lot of extra time these days, it made sense to just buy ammo. I’ve tried their Superformance in one of my 222s and it didn’t do quite as well, 0.6”, but still acceptable for most folks. The pdogs in Wyoming didn’t seem to notice. Glad to hear your 40x swift is a shooter. I bought a brand new 220 Swift 40x-ks twin to yours at an estate sale a couple years ago. Still haven’t fired it, but have the components so hopefully I’ll get it running soon.

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 08/24/21.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ben Lurkin: Every one of my heavy barrel 204's shot the Hornady 32 grain factory ammo really well!
I had to buy that ammo when the cartridge was new and had a stash of it for sighting in/testing the following 204's that I purchased.
And I have a Varmint Hunting friend who does NOT reload and he brings me a few boxes of factory Hornady 204 ammo every year - I fire form it in whichever 204 needs more brass and again can attest to its inherent accuracy in all my guns.
Thank you for reminding me about my relatively new heavy barrel Ruger 77/17 Hornet it is also shooting the Hornady factory 17 Hornet ammo into surprisingly good groupings - plenty of Ground Squirrels and one Badger from this season can attest to that also.
And you have to get that 220 Swift 40X at least sighted/dialed in - you never know when a Coyote or Badger is going to pop-up.
Either that or I will jump on I-15 and drive on down and buy it from you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’m down to one 220S. Sold my heavy barreled 700s that I used for PDs. Lots of barrel heat if you’re into good shooting. I still have a custom sporter, R700 trued action, Lilja 26”, #4 contour, McMillan Sako Hunter stock, Zeiss 4.5-14. I use it for coyote hunting, with 50 gr ballistic tips. It’s very accurate on paper and deadly on coyotes.

NRA Patron
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own 1 Remington 700 SS varmint fluted barrel ,Winchester pre64 , 2 - Ruger # 1`s and 1 Ruger #1 custom 7 1/2 twist Brux barrel all 220 Swifts i have a hard time not to keep my Swift rifles . the only 220 Swift i use i carry in my truck all year long the custom Ruger #1 Brux barrel 7 1/2 twist 220 Swift ,works great in and out of my truck with grin . when i P.D. hunt i just use 223/556`s , 204 Ruger`s or my 22 Hornets. my 220 Swift or the 22 Hornet take care of Varmints all sizes !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ben Lurkin: Every one of my heavy barrel 204's shot the Hornady 32 grain factory ammo really well!
I had to buy that ammo when the cartridge was new and had a stash of it for sighting in/testing the following 204's that I purchased.
And I have a Varmint Hunting friend who does NOT reload and he brings me a few boxes of factory Hornady 204 ammo every year - I fire form it in whichever 204 needs more brass and again can attest to its inherent accuracy in all my guns.
Thank you for reminding me about my relatively new heavy barrel Ruger 77/17 Hornet it is also shooting the Hornady factory 17 Hornet ammo into surprisingly good groupings - plenty of Ground Squirrels and one Badger from this season can attest to that also.
And you have to get that 220 Swift 40X at least sighted/dialed in - you never know when a Coyote or Badger is going to pop-up.
Either that or I will jump on I-15 and drive on down and buy it from you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Well come on down. I don’t know about buying the Swift but I’ll let you buy lunch 😃

Yours in Liberty,

BL
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ben Lurkin: Thank you for the invite and offer - it is appreciated.
Only Hunted Utah a couple times (once for Mule Deer and once for Prairie Dogs) but I just love the place.
The VarmintWife and I did a full week long guided tour of southern (middle?) Utah's "Big Five" National Parks early this spring and we were blown away by the beauty and expanse of Utah.
We were so impressed that instead of taking the guided Utah tour in the luxury Mercedes vans, next year, we are going to drive ourselves and spend two weeks thereabouts.
Long live Utah.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ben Lurkin: Thank you for the invite and offer - it is appreciated.
Only Hunted Utah a couple times (once for Mule Deer and once for Prairie Dogs) but I just love the place.
The VarmintWife and I did a full week long guided tour of southern (middle?) Utah's "Big Five" National Parks early this spring and we were blown away by the beauty and expanse of Utah.
We were so impressed that instead of taking the guided Utah tour in the luxury Mercedes vans, next year, we are going to drive ourselves and spend two weeks thereabouts.
Long live Utah.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Beautiful area. I lived in So Utah for a while as a kid and worked on the grandparents farm down there as a teen. Great place but like many places; it’s being overrun by Californiacators.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Swifty52: Yes that grouping with those handloads in that caliber "qualifies" (for what I don't know?) but I am still impressed with the Hornady factory ammunition!
And yes I paid $31.00 (no sales tax in Montana) per box of twenty rounds for that ammo - so your estimate is just a tad low (actually $1.55 per round/shot).
Would love to hear about the particulars on the bullet/loading/Rifle that made that super grouping for you.
Enjoy that rig.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Load 44 grains AA2700, Norma brass, 52 SMK , Federal GMM primer, Nikon Monarch 6.5x20x44 fine plex target scope, velocity 3900+. Cooper Model 22 Montana Varminter

Last edited by Swifty52; 08/28/21.

Swifty
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Swifty52: Thank you very much for getting back to me.
One of my Swifts shoots the Norma brass - I like that brass.
Thanks for the load information/suggestion.
Earlier this year I bought my first Cooper Rifle after years of coveting them!
It is a Model 21 MT-Varmint in caliber 223 Remington - and it shoots splendidly.
Enjoy your Swift.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I will second the Norma brass for the 220 Swift, much better than Winchester and Hornady brass.

was shocked when I went into my LGS a month ago and they had a box of 100 Norma brass for cheap, they have never stocked it before and probably wont again. couldn't pass it up

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Boatanchor: That indeed was a lucky day for you.
Reminds me of a lucky find I came across about 25 years ago.
I was driving south on Pacific Highway from Tacoma, Washington doing all the pawn and gunshops thereon when I came across 10 twenty round boxes of Norma 220 Swift brass and they were on close-out for $3.00 per box!
Needless to say i bought'em all.
Still using that brass in one of my Swifts today (about 4 reloadings so far).
I find it pays to "get around" and check things out.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
93 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 16 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 649 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.