Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
You are absolutely NOT REQUIRED to immediately advise anybody.

The only thing we need to hear from you is an apology for this absolutely terrible advice that, if followed, would get people immediately hauled to jail.

Would far rather take advice from the judge. Little thing about self-incrimination... the fact they cannot change.

You should read the decision on DUNLAP V Anchorage Police Department 2017

The court ruled (in 2017) that since having a concealed firearm is legal, there is no self incrimination in the duty to notify.

First of all, I want to say that I THINK THE LAW IS WRONG AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL. However, it is a law that has been upheld by federal court, and I seriously doubt that a guy coming up here for a hunting trip wants to fight a Class B Misdemeanor charge.

Ive served on the Grand Jury in AK, and a trial jury as well. Obviously, we saw a lot of firearms cases in the Grand Jury... however none related to that provision of the law specifically, since we only dealt with felonies. I HAVE WITNESSED FIRST HAND firearms being confiscated by the troopers and a court summons issued do to not notifying the trooper of a handgun under the seat of a vehicle.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by LoadClear

The only thing we need to hear from you is an apology for this absolutely terrible advice that, if followed, would get people immediately hauled to jail.

Would far rather take advice from the judge. Little thing about self-incrimination... the fact they cannot change.

The court ruled (in 2017) that since having a concealed firearm is legal, there is no self incrimination in the duty to notify.

First of all, I want to say that I THINK THE LAW IS WRONG AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL. However, it is a law that has been upheld by federal court, and I seriously doubt that a guy coming up here for a hunting trip wants to fight a Class B Misdemeanor charge.

Ive served on the Grand Jury in AK, and a trial jury as well. Obviously, we saw a lot of firearms cases in the Grand Jury... however none related to that provision of the law specifically, since we only dealt with felonies. I HAVE WITNESSED FIRST HAND firearms being confiscated by the troopers and a court summons issued do to not notifying the trooper of a handgun under the seat of a vehicle.

You aren't overly bright.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert

You aren't overly bright.

For arguing with Art, for replying to you?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

How does one get through Canada after you leave the ferry? Ferries through Canada to Seward or Whittier are rare, if they are even running them this year.

You don't. But if you were staying in SE it wouldn't be an issue.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You are running in circles talking about Federal courts, Alaska law and so on. Judge in a State Court in a trial I sat on refused to hear a charge on failing to disclose.

Roughly, he said the defendant had bad intent and therefore could not be required to testify against himself. Requiring only those with good intent to declare. The contradiction moots the law.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 08/21/21.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

You are running in circles talking about Federal courts, Alaska law and so on. Judge in a State Court in a trial I sat on refused to hear a charge on failing to disclose.

Roughly, he said the defendant had bad intent and therefore could not be required to testify against himself. Requiring only those with good intent to declare. The contradiction moots the law.

OK, you're right. A judge once didn't like the law on a trial you were on.

Everyone: Don't tell the troopers that you have a concealed firearm. Noting bad or inconvenient will happen to you. Art said so.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I give a ph uck what anyone says. I get pulled over I tell the trooper/apd/wasilla cops I have a pistol/firearm in the truck. I know one thing for certain none of you ph ucks are paying for my lawyer or bail. Also the state ships your ass to goose creek correctional center (state prison) as an unsentenced on misdemeanor charges. So good luck sitting in prison, waiting for a court hearing to bail out..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 79S
I give a ph uck what anyone says. I get pulled over I tell the trooper/apd/wasilla cops I have a pistol/firearm in the truck. I know one thing for certain none of you ph ucks are paying for my lawyer or bail. Also the state ships your ass to goose creek correctional center (state prison) as an unsentenced on misdemeanor charges. So good luck sitting in prison, waiting for a court hearing to bail out..

Well, pusses will puss.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
So, a routine background check? I was thinking of how immpossible it would be to bring a pistol through Canada to get to Alaska. Even when the border reopens. Driving not flying.

You CANNOT bring a pistol through Canada. You can fly with one to Alaska or take one on the ferry, but you can't cross the border into Canada with one. Long guns are another story but you need to have your paperwork in order before you get to the border crossing.

You cannot EASILY bring a handgun through Canada but if you do the proper paperwork ahead of time you can. Just not worth it

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

In the first place, you have demonstrated here that you cannot be relied upon to comprehend what some judge said, making your account doubtful at best..

Second, the Alaska Supreme Court FREQUENTLY says some trial judge was wrong about something. Therefore, even if what you say is true, it does not mean the next judge is going to rule that way.

Anyone who ignores that plainly worded statute because you say some judge said "such and such" is a bigger fool than you are, which, I have to say, is saying something.

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
Originally Posted by 79S

Well, pusses will puss.

Uh oh tough guy alert..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

In the first place, you have demonstrated here that you cannot be relied upon to comprehend what some judge said, making your account doubtful at best..

Second, the Alaska Supreme Court FREQUENTLY says some trial judge was wrong about something. Therefore, even if what you say is true, it does not mean the next judge is going to rule that way.

Anyone who ignores that plainly worded statute because you say some judge said "such and such" is a bigger fool than you are, which, I have to say, is saying something.

I simply take exception to a clearly unconstitutional law. Never have I suggested anyone should not tell them.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To the original poster: ship the gun to the Tok gun store with instructions to clean or function check the gun and tell him that you will pick it up In person. That way the gun gets logged into the repair book and can easily be returned you with minimal paperwork

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
A person can only buy a handgun (or "other") in the state of which they are a resident.
According to handgunlaw.us, Alaska has a "Duty To Inform" statute.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
from the yukon and i came and open carry in alaska for many years we did competition and small game hunting there. since this fall is more complicate to travel to ak from canada with a pistol but still doable ...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you fly in have it locked in your luggage.That is Legal!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Huntz
If you fly in have it locked in your luggage.That is Legal!!

This is a GREAT way to be arrested. Check and PRINT the TSA rules. Check and PRINT the airlines that you will be travelling on. DECLARE and FOLLOW the rules of TSA and airline.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If a non-resident hunter or hiker was hunting or backpacking in Alaska could she or he carry, or even purchase a pistol in Alaska?

Click on the state you have questions about. EMAIL/CALL/PRINT the entity in charged of concealed carry in that state and verify the info BEFORE you travel thru or to. Write the date you printed the material on the info for future reference.

https://handgunlaw.us/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not an AK resident so I don't know about informing a cop when in contact with one or not.
Buying a handgun in AK will be impossible if you are not an AK resident. Long guns will be OK unless your home state has goofy capacity limits or rifle restrictions.
Shipping a handgun to yourself via private carrier (UPS, FEDEX) is legal, but good luck getting UPS or FEDEX to ship any gun to a non FFL holder. If you ship it to an FFL holder and he opens it and logs it into his books, good luck getting it from him. He will have to ship it back to your home state and you will have to pick it up from a dealer there.
Last time I checked (2012) You could travel (drive) through Canada with a handgun. Upon entry in CA it is declared and in a hard case with a lock. A seal is placed on the case. Upon inspection when exiting CA that seal BETTER be in tact. I believe there are fees involved. Last I read was $50 or $75. I don't recall if that was US dollars or Canadian dollars.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
So, a routine background check? I was thinking of how immpossible it would be to bring a pistol through Canada to get to Alaska. Even when the border reopens. Driving not flying.
Carry a long gun through Canada (assuming they allow travel).Mail your handgun to the FFL in Tok, Alaska and pick it up there is one way to handle it.

Great idea, so, that is settled.

Thanks

Yep. You cannot get a pistol/revolver through Canadian customs.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,864 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.