Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Hi,

I have an longtime older friend who is now in his mid to upper 80's who has a Winchester Model 70 in .257 Roberts, which he bought new in 1954. It is all original and in good shape, although he did hunt with it. I haven't seen it for a few years so can't really give a percentage of condition, but let's just say 90-95% should cover it. It is unaltered with no added pad or anything like that. I know a few years back, these were bringing in the $2000+ range, but I think they have dropped off some??? We always jokingly went back and forth on when he was going to sell me his .257, but I never thought I would have a chance at the rifle, because I figured his son would want it. Well, he called me the other day and says he talked it over with his wife and son, and they decided they would sell it to me. We talked a little about price, and he said he doesn't want that big money like they were going for a few years back, but thought it should be worth $1600-$1800. I feel that is a fair price for both, but wanted to check in here and see if we are in the ballpark. I feel fortunate that he is offering it to me, so I want to make sure he gets a fair price for it. I'm heading over to his farm after dinner today so wondering if I can get any quick opinions on value, as I told him I would see what I could find. Checked gunbroker and only found one comparable that sold for $1600 + S/H. I know it's hard to give a value without pictures, but any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

"Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs".
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just me, but if it’s clean and original I’d be all over it for 1600-1800 bucks. That’s a gem of a rifle in my opinion. Good luck with it. Hope you’re able to make a deal.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The only thing that scares me is that he said he has a receiver sight for it. It's not installed on the rifle now, but I don't know if it was in the past, and I don't recall noticing if the stock was notched out for a receiver sight.

"Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs".
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It isn’t a fair price. Grand theft, yes.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it’s a Lyman sight and the same vintage as the gun, it won’t be notched.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
It isn’t a fair price. Grand theft, yes.

So what do you think a fair price would be?

Thanks,

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just sold one 2 months ago all original(1957) in about 90% cond for 2500. It only sat in the gun shops rack for 2 days! So maybe I sold it low?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have one with a pad added, and shows some wear but i wouldn't take 1800.00 for it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
.257 Roberts is one of the tougher calibers to find especially unaltered in the condition you say. If I wanted one I would be more than happy to pay $1600-$1800, that price would certainly be fair to both buyer and seller.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I saw one on a shelf last month. 1953, stock was refinished with the metal butt with 2 holes in the side of the reciever. Shop was asking 1100. I passed. Couldnt get passed those 2 extra holes

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Just me, but if it’s clean and original I’d be all over it for 1600-1800 bucks. That’s a gem of a rifle in my opinion. Good luck with it. Hope you’re able to make a deal.

I'm with Scotty on this. The value is definitely there, but what I'd consider more is the sentimental value, if he's a good friend. I'd toss him $1800.00.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If its a close friend and you've always wanted the rifle, what are you waiting for? Offer the family the $1,800 and take it home (everybody's happy)...

Phil

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Greyghost
If its a close friend and you've always wanted the rifle, what are you waiting for? Offer the family the $1,800 and take it home (everybody's happy)

Yep, that's what we did. He was happy, I was happy and it is an honest 95% rifle. Now to get drawn for an antelope tag, because I told him I was going to shoot an antelope with it. Problem is I finally got a tag last year, so it may be 8 years or so before I get that chance again!!!!

Last edited by RandySavage99; 08/18/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What a great rifle and story to go along with it. Having a rifle that means something to you far exceeds the cash value.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 160user
What a great rifle and story to go along with it. Having a rifle that means something to you far exceeds the cash value.

Yessir 👍

Congratulations on your new rifle RandySavage!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Randy, congratulations and I hope you will post a photo here! Good luck on the hunt with it.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good story and rifle. Had a similar experience years ago. Still enjoy the rifle but miss my friend.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Here's some pictures of the .257 Roberts. It had an old Bausch & Lomb 4X scope with a funky mount system on it, and I replaced it with an old Redfield Widefield 2x-7x that I had laying around. I also posted a few pics of the scope and mount. Has anyone ever seen a mount like that? The flat piece of metal has a stud in the middle and it slides onto the top of both mounts and is hand tightened down onto the mounts by the large "nut". The scope sits down onto the mount adjustment bolts, which are shaped like a funnel. As you turn the adjusting screws on the side of the mounts, it raises or lowers the back of the scope or adjusts the front right and left for sighting in.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

That’s a period correct Bausch & Lomb scope mount and Balfor 4 scope setup. Really like the way they look and always leave them on the gun.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great looking rifle btw!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (16penny, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,814 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.