24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Sitka deer] #16361131 08/20/21
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 670
L
LoadClear Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You are absolutely NOT REQUIRED to immediately advise anybody.


The only thing we need to hear from you is an apology for this absolutely terrible advice that, if followed, would get people immediately hauled to jail.

Would far rather take advice from the judge. Little thing about self-incrimination... the fact they cannot change.


You should read the decision on DUNLAP V Anchorage Police Department 2017

The court ruled (in 2017) that since having a concealed firearm is legal, there is no self incrimination in the duty to notify.

First of all, I want to say that I THINK THE LAW IS WRONG AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL. However, it is a law that has been upheld by federal court, and I seriously doubt that a guy coming up here for a hunting trip wants to fight a Class B Misdemeanor charge.

Ive served on the Grand Jury in AK, and a trial jury as well. Obviously, we saw a lot of firearms cases in the Grand Jury... however none related to that provision of the law specifically, since we only dealt with felonies. I HAVE WITNESSED FIRST HAND firearms being confiscated by the troopers and a court summons issued do to not notifying the trooper of a handgun under the seat of a vehicle.


Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
BP-B2

Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: LoadClear] #16361140 08/20/21
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 774
R
Ray_Herbert Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 774
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You are absolutely NOT REQUIRED to immediately advise anybody.


The only thing we need to hear from you is an apology for this absolutely terrible advice that, if followed, would get people immediately hauled to jail.

Would far rather take advice from the judge. Little thing about self-incrimination... the fact they cannot change.


You should read the decision on DUNLAP V Anchorage Police Department 2017

The court ruled (in 2017) that since having a concealed firearm is legal, there is no self incrimination in the duty to notify.

First of all, I want to say that I THINK THE LAW IS WRONG AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL. However, it is a law that has been upheld by federal court, and I seriously doubt that a guy coming up here for a hunting trip wants to fight a Class B Misdemeanor charge.

Ive served on the Grand Jury in AK, and a trial jury as well. Obviously, we saw a lot of firearms cases in the Grand Jury... however none related to that provision of the law specifically, since we only dealt with felonies. I HAVE WITNESSED FIRST HAND firearms being confiscated by the troopers and a court summons issued do to not notifying the trooper of a handgun under the seat of a vehicle.



You aren't overly bright.

Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Ray_Herbert] #16361146 08/20/21
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 670
L
LoadClear Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You are absolutely NOT REQUIRED to immediately advise anybody.


The only thing we need to hear from you is an apology for this absolutely terrible advice that, if followed, would get people immediately hauled to jail.

Would far rather take advice from the judge. Little thing about self-incrimination... the fact they cannot change.


You should read the decision on DUNLAP V Anchorage Police Department 2017

The court ruled (in 2017) that since having a concealed firearm is legal, there is no self incrimination in the duty to notify.

First of all, I want to say that I THINK THE LAW IS WRONG AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL. However, it is a law that has been upheld by federal court, and I seriously doubt that a guy coming up here for a hunting trip wants to fight a Class B Misdemeanor charge.

Ive served on the Grand Jury in AK, and a trial jury as well. Obviously, we saw a lot of firearms cases in the Grand Jury... however none related to that provision of the law specifically, since we only dealt with felonies. I HAVE WITNESSED FIRST HAND firearms being confiscated by the troopers and a court summons issued do to not notifying the trooper of a handgun under the seat of a vehicle.



You aren't overly bright.


For arguing with Art, for replying to you?


Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Sitka deer] #16361520 08/20/21
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,544
R
ryoushi Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,544
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

How does one get through Canada after you leave the ferry? Ferries through Canada to Seward or Whittier are rare, if they are even running them this year.


You don't. But if you were staying in SE it wouldn't be an issue.

Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: LoadClear] #16362660 08/21/21
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 46,633
Sitka deer Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 46,633
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You are absolutely NOT REQUIRED to immediately advise anybody.


The only thing we need to hear from you is an apology for this absolutely terrible advice that, if followed, would get people immediately hauled to jail.

Would far rather take advice from the judge. Little thing about self-incrimination... the fact they cannot change.


You should read the decision on DUNLAP V Anchorage Police Department 2017

The court ruled (in 2017) that since having a concealed firearm is legal, there is no self incrimination in the duty to notify.

First of all, I want to say that I THINK THE LAW IS WRONG AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL. However, it is a law that has been upheld by federal court, and I seriously doubt that a guy coming up here for a hunting trip wants to fight a Class B Misdemeanor charge.

Ive served on the Grand Jury in AK, and a trial jury as well. Obviously, we saw a lot of firearms cases in the Grand Jury... however none related to that provision of the law specifically, since we only dealt with felonies. I HAVE WITNESSED FIRST HAND firearms being confiscated by the troopers and a court summons issued do to not notifying the trooper of a handgun under the seat of a vehicle.


You are running in circles talking about Federal courts, Alaska law and so on. Judge in a State Court in a trial I sat on refused to hear a charge on failing to disclose.

Roughly, he said the defendant had bad intent and therefore could not be required to testify against himself. Requiring only those with good intent to declare. The contradiction moots the law.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 08/21/21.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC-A

Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Sitka deer] #16362734 08/21/21
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 670
L
LoadClear Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You are absolutely NOT REQUIRED to immediately advise anybody.


The only thing we need to hear from you is an apology for this absolutely terrible advice that, if followed, would get people immediately hauled to jail.

Would far rather take advice from the judge. Little thing about self-incrimination... the fact they cannot change.


You should read the decision on DUNLAP V Anchorage Police Department 2017

The court ruled (in 2017) that since having a concealed firearm is legal, there is no self incrimination in the duty to notify.

First of all, I want to say that I THINK THE LAW IS WRONG AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL. However, it is a law that has been upheld by federal court, and I seriously doubt that a guy coming up here for a hunting trip wants to fight a Class B Misdemeanor charge.

Ive served on the Grand Jury in AK, and a trial jury as well. Obviously, we saw a lot of firearms cases in the Grand Jury... however none related to that provision of the law specifically, since we only dealt with felonies. I HAVE WITNESSED FIRST HAND firearms being confiscated by the troopers and a court summons issued do to not notifying the trooper of a handgun under the seat of a vehicle.


You are running in circles talking about Federal courts, Alaska law and so on. Judge in a State Court in a trial I sat on refused to hear a charge on failing to disclose.

Roughly, he said the defendant had bad intent and therefore could not be required to testify against himself. Requiring only those with good intent to declare. The contradiction moots the law.



OK, you're right. A judge once didn't like the law on a trial you were on.

Everyone: Don't tell the troopers that you have a concealed firearm. Noting bad or inconvenient will happen to you. Art said so.


Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Adk_BackCountry] #16362793 08/21/21
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 15,443
7
79S Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
7
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 15,443
I give a ph uck what anyone says. I get pulled over I tell the trooper/apd/wasilla cops I have a pistol/firearm in the truck. I know one thing for certain none of you ph ucks are paying for my lawyer or bail. Also the state ships your ass to goose creek correctional center (state prison) as an unsentenced on misdemeanor charges. So good luck sitting in prison, waiting for a court hearing to bail out..


Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.
Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: 79S] #16363349 08/21/21
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 774
R
Ray_Herbert Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 774
Originally Posted by 79S
I give a ph uck what anyone says. I get pulled over I tell the trooper/apd/wasilla cops I have a pistol/firearm in the truck. I know one thing for certain none of you ph ucks are paying for my lawyer or bail. Also the state ships your ass to goose creek correctional center (state prison) as an unsentenced on misdemeanor charges. So good luck sitting in prison, waiting for a court hearing to bail out..




Well, pusses will puss.

Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: ryoushi] #16363744 08/21/21
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,549
D
dennisinaz Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,549
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
So, a routine background check? I was thinking of how immpossible it would be to bring a pistol through Canada to get to Alaska. Even when the border reopens. Driving not flying.


You CANNOT bring a pistol through Canada. You can fly with one to Alaska or take one on the ferry, but you can't cross the border into Canada with one. Long guns are another story but you need to have your paperwork in order before you get to the border crossing.


You cannot EASILY bring a handgun through Canada but if you do the proper paperwork ahead of time you can. Just not worth it


NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Sitka deer] #16364133 08/21/21
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 180
R
RimfireArtist Offline
Member
Offline
Member
R
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You are running in circles talking about Federal courts, Alaska law and so on. Judge in a State Court in a trial I sat on refused to hear a charge on failing to disclose.

Roughly, he said the defendant had bad intent and therefore could not be required to testify against himself. Requiring only those with good intent to declare. The contradiction moots the law.


In the first place, you have demonstrated here that you cannot be relied upon to comprehend what some judge said, making your account doubtful at best..

Second, the Alaska Supreme Court FREQUENTLY says some trial judge was wrong about something. Therefore, even if what you say is true, it does not mean the next judge is going to rule that way.

Anyone who ignores that plainly worded statute because you say some judge said "such and such" is a bigger fool than you are, which, I have to say, is saying something.

IC-B

Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Ray_Herbert] #16364353 08/21/21
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 15,443
7
79S Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
7
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 15,443
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
Originally Posted by 79S
I give a ph uck what anyone says. I get pulled over I tell the trooper/apd/wasilla cops I have a pistol/firearm in the truck. I know one thing for certain none of you ph ucks are paying for my lawyer or bail. Also the state ships your ass to goose creek correctional center (state prison) as an unsentenced on misdemeanor charges. So good luck sitting in prison, waiting for a court hearing to bail out..




Well, pusses will puss.


Uh oh tough guy alert..


Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.
Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: RimfireArtist] #16365234 08/22/21
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 46,633
Sitka deer Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 46,633
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You are running in circles talking about Federal courts, Alaska law and so on. Judge in a State Court in a trial I sat on refused to hear a charge on failing to disclose.

Roughly, he said the defendant had bad intent and therefore could not be required to testify against himself. Requiring only those with good intent to declare. The contradiction moots the law.


In the first place, you have demonstrated here that you cannot be relied upon to comprehend what some judge said, making your account doubtful at best..

Second, the Alaska Supreme Court FREQUENTLY says some trial judge was wrong about something. Therefore, even if what you say is true, it does not mean the next judge is going to rule that way.

Anyone who ignores that plainly worded statute because you say some judge said "such and such" is a bigger fool than you are, which, I have to say, is saying something.

I simply take exception to a clearly unconstitutional law. Never have I suggested anyone should not tell them.


Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Adk_BackCountry] #16374391 08/25/21
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,810
257wby Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,810
To the original poster: ship the gun to the Tok gun store with instructions to clean or function check the gun and tell him that you will pick it up In person. That way the gun gets logged into the repair book and can easily be returned you with minimal paperwork


"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Adk_BackCountry] #16374730 08/25/21
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,263
U
UPhiker Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,263
A person can only buy a handgun (or "other") in the state of which they are a resident.
According to handgunlaw.us, Alaska has a "Duty To Inform" statute.

Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Adk_BackCountry] #16528315 10/14/21
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 601
Y
yukonphil Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 601
from the yukon and i came and open carry in alaska for many years we did competition and small game hunting there. since this fall is more complicate to travel to ak from canada with a pistol but still doable ...

Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Adk_BackCountry] #16615645 11/12/21
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,210
H
Huntz Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
H
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,210
If you fly in have it locked in your luggage.That is Legal!!


Its all right to be white!!
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a Subject to a Citizen." (Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC)
Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Huntz] #16617678 11/13/21
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,848
A
acloco Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,848
Originally Posted by Huntz
If you fly in have it locked in your luggage.That is Legal!!


This is a GREAT way to be arrested. Check and PRINT the TSA rules. Check and PRINT the airlines that you will be travelling on. DECLARE and FOLLOW the rules of TSA and airline.

Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Adk_BackCountry] #16617680 11/13/21
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,848
A
acloco Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,848
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
If a non-resident hunter or hiker was hunting or backpacking in Alaska could she or he carry, or even purchase a pistol in Alaska?


Click on the state you have questions about. EMAIL/CALL/PRINT the entity in charged of concealed carry in that state and verify the info BEFORE you travel thru or to. Write the date you printed the material on the info for future reference.


https://handgunlaw.us/

Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Adk_BackCountry] #16618683 11/13/21
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,971
Cowboybart Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,971
I'm not an AK resident so I don't know about informing a cop when in contact with one or not.
Buying a handgun in AK will be impossible if you are not an AK resident. Long guns will be OK unless your home state has goofy capacity limits or rifle restrictions.
Shipping a handgun to yourself via private carrier (UPS, FEDEX) is legal, but good luck getting UPS or FEDEX to ship any gun to a non FFL holder. If you ship it to an FFL holder and he opens it and logs it into his books, good luck getting it from him. He will have to ship it back to your home state and you will have to pick it up from a dealer there.
Last time I checked (2012) You could travel (drive) through Canada with a handgun. Upon entry in CA it is declared and in a hard case with a lock. A seal is placed on the case. Upon inspection when exiting CA that seal BETTER be in tact. I believe there are fees involved. Last I read was $50 or $75. I don't recall if that was US dollars or Canadian dollars.


Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Re: Non Res. Pistol Carry [Re: Adk_BackCountry] #16619163 11/13/21
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,356
High_Noon Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,356
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
So, a routine background check? I was thinking of how immpossible it would be to bring a pistol through Canada to get to Alaska. Even when the border reopens. Driving not flying.
Carry a long gun through Canada (assuming they allow travel).Mail your handgun to the FFL in Tok, Alaska and pick it up there is one way to handle it.

Great idea, so, that is settled.

Thanks

Yep. You cannot get a pistol/revolver through Canadian customs.


l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
732 registered members (12344mag, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 160user, 204guy, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 916 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.076s Queries: 15 (0.004s) Memory: 0.8846 MB (Peak: 1.0739 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-12-03 16:06:40 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS