Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Centennial ,

Yes we are just paying to be packed in and dropped off. Seek outside courthouse and archery in Sept. 3 through the 10th . It's about a 4 hour ride in .
Thanks

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
3-10 Sept...you will be fine temp wise. Theres a chance of a daily shower/T-storm or a day or two of wetish weather but you should be fine. Cook simple and wear an extra fleece if you get chilly. 4 hrs, what wilderness area...Weminuche? Have a great time!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BigPine
3 guys , but yes that's the ratio, 1 per guy plus camp on one .
OK.my feeble old brain did not catch the "2" sons.I suppose you still might be carrying smaller back packs

Things to be aware of with the tent. With stove one person may be closer to the stove than desired. I had 4 person Luxe Megahorn that was for 4 people.Two were max with the stove.Take a poly tarp for the floor for wet ground.Also an extra tarp as mentioned above to cover gear that won't fit in tent.

I think Seek Outside has page on how to reduce condensation in the tent.

Also need some type of cord.pulley system to hang food from.You didn't mention what unit or season, but black bears are active past the 1st rifle.We have seen them it the 2nd.Some units have more than .Probably not a big concern,but don't store any food in your tent.I f you can cook your meals outside under that extra tarp.

Might want to look at Desert Walker fold up cots.Only about 5 "high,but gets you off the ground

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BigPine
Getting our gear ready for our Colorado elk hunt and would like to take our propane cook stove and small lantern to save a little space and weight vs. canned fuel . Just my two sons and I instead of a larger group .
Does propane burn well at 11,000 feet ? Our Coleman fuel stove is finicky enough. We get packed in on horses and dropped off . Less horses = less $$
Thanks

I've used Coleman stoves with Coleman canisters up to 11k in the past. As noted by others, when it's really cold out it helps to shake the bottle before starting the stove. If you are planning to cook under a tarp or out in the open and it's really cold, the bottle might need to be jiggled a bit to slosh the liquid around so it will continue to "gas off" . It helps to put the bottles in the tent at night where it's warmer, so lighting the stove is easier in the morning.

I am one who does not like liquid fuel stoves and lanterns--especially when the fuel is being carried in a backpack or pannier. Although there are really good containers that seal well out there these days, liquid fuel seems to find a way to leak/spill often enough.

Don't know what food you and your boys are planning to cook, but a backpacking stove or two with isobutane cannisters are a whole lot smaller and lighter.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Good info, I learned something. What about the disposable 16 oz. bottles that have been refilled with propane, do those work in freezing weather in your experience?

I've used refilled bottles for years. They're just like new ones. The trick is getting them full while leaving the required air space in the top.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Made all my choices . Liquid fuel it is and we load up and head to the Flat Tops after elk tomorrow. Good luck to All this season . I’ll report back in a week or so
Thanks all

Bp

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,592
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.