Hop To
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 30 31
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I found this strange, no obvious signs as to why

------

John Gerrish and Ellen Chung’s home in Mariposa, Calif., was quiet on Aug. 16 when their 1-year-old daughter’s nanny arrived. The family — including their dog, Oski — was nowhere to be found. Their truck was missing, too. As the hours wore on without a word from Gerrish or Chung, who had set out for a hike the day before, a sense of panic began to set in.

The couple’s house sits near the head of Hites Cove Trail, and hours after the family was reported missing at about 11 p.m., the trailhead is where police started looking. A sheriff’s deputy found the couple’s truck parked near the trail’s entrance around 2 a.m., the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Nine hours later and 1.5 miles from the truck, in an area known as Devil’s Gulch, a search-and-rescue team found Gerrish, Chung, their daughter, Miju, and the dog.

They were all dead.

Gerrish was in a seated position with the baby and dog beside him, according to the Chronicle. Chung was a little farther up the hill.

Authorities still don’t know how they died. Autopsies yielded no conclusive results about the cause, CNN reported. A toxicology report, which could take several weeks, is pending.

A necropsy is being performed on Oski, the dog, but the Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office said no other animals were found dead in the immediate area.

“It’s just so tragic and mysterious,” Steven Jeffe, a close family friend, told The Washington Post on Sunday evening.

Gerrish and Chung moved to Mariposa from San Francisco in March 2020, Jeffe said. The pandemic made the slow life look increasingly attractive for the young professionals. Gerrish worked at Snapchat, and Chung was working toward a master’s degree in family therapy, he said.

When they lived in San Francisco, the couple enjoyed DJing and going to clubs, Jeffe said. But since they moved to Mariposa — about a three-hour drive east of the city and a 40-mile drive to Yosemite — they became “avid outdoor people.”

When police found their bodies, there were no signs of trauma, the Fresno Bee reported. There was no suicide note or indication that the deaths were intentional, according to CNN. Although temperatures reached as high as 109 degrees the day the family hiked, dehydration was deemed unlikely because there was still water in the family’s hydration pack, the Chronicle reported.

Snakebites have not been ruled out, although that cause is unlikely because there was no physical evidence of wounds, the sheriff’s office told CNN.

The lack of definitive answers has led investigators to imagine other, more unusual causes. Carbon monoxide poisoning from a mine or toxic algae in the nearby Merced River are among the leading theories.

“At this point, we can’t rule out anything,” Mariposa County sheriff’s deputy Kristie Mitchell said, according to the Fresno Bee.

About a month before the family was found dead, the U.S. Forest Service warned that “a high concentration of algae bloom” had been found in the Merced River near Hites Cove, where Gerrish and Chung were hiking. The Forest Service warned visitors not to swim or let their pets “enjoy” the water.

But reported human deaths from freshwater algal blooms are rare, the Chronicle reported. David Caron, a biological sciences professor at the University of Southern California, told the newspaper that although freshwater bacteria are a threat to people and animals, it would take high concentrations to kill humans rapidly.

“It’s conceivable that it is the cause,” Caron said. “But a lot needs to be done forensically to tie it to toxins.”

Poisoning from mines is also a possibility. When the family was found Tuesday, first responders treated the scene as a hazmat site because carbon monoxide may have leaked out from nearby mines. But the hazmat declaration was lifted Wednesday, and the cause is looking less likely, Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese told the Fresno Bee. The closest mine Briese told the paper he knew of was three miles from where the family was found.

“We have not found any old mine shafts near the area,” he added. “There are some mine shafts, but we can’t confirm if that’s the cause yet.”

Last edited by KFWA; 08/24/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wow. Have to follow this to see what happened, very strange.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Wow. Quite a mystery.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting.

Nine hours to cover 1.5 miles?

Did they have a tracking dog? Anyone who might be able to see two adult shoe prints, a couple of kids, and a dog leaving the truck area and heading up the trail?

Weird I tell you, weird.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Tag

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yosemite was mentioned. It is a hotspot for disappearances. Forty miles seems like a stretch for this being related though. Pardon the pun.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If you like mysteries like this check out this guys work. Dave Paulides. He has books, a youtube channel and he has been on radio many times. Fun to listen too.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wondering if murder suicide by poison? So strange...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rather stunning. No visible or apparent causes for the deaths - very odd/rare in such surroundings and circumstances.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by KFWA

------

John Gerrish and Ellen Chung’s home in Mariposa, Calif., was quiet on Aug. 16 when their 1-year-old daughter’s nanny arrived. The family — including their dog, Oski — was nowhere to be found. Their truck was missing, too. As the hours wore on without a word from Gerrish or Chung, who had set out for a hike the day before, a sense of panic began to set in.

The couple’s house sits near the head of Hites Cove Trail, and hours after the family was reported missing at about 11 p.m., the trailhead is where police started looking. A sheriff’s deputy found the couple’s truck parked near the trail’s entrance around 2 a.m., the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Nine hours later and 1.5 miles from the truck, in an area known as Devil’s Gulch, a search-and-rescue team found Gerrish, Chung, their daughter, Miju, and the dog.

They were all dead.

Gerrish was in a seated position with the baby and dog beside him, according to the Chronicle. Chung was a little farther up the hill.

Authorities still don’t know how they died. Autopsies yielded no conclusive results about the cause, CNN reported. A toxicology report, which could take several weeks, is pending.

A necropsy is being performed on Oski, the dog, but the Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office said no other animals were found dead in the immediate area.

“It’s just so tragic and mysterious,” Steven Jeffe, a close family friend, told The Washington Post on Sunday evening.

Gerrish and Chung moved to Mariposa from San Francisco in March 2020, Jeffe said. The pandemic made the slow life look
increasingly attractive for the young professionals. Gerrish worked at Snapchat, and Chung was working toward a master’s degree in family therapy, he said.

When they lived in San Francisco, the couple enjoyed DJing and going to clubs, Jeffe said. But since they moved to Mariposa —
about a three-hour drive east of the city and a 40-mile drive to Yosemite — they became “avid outdoor people.”

When police found their bodies, there were no signs of trauma, the Fresno Bee reported. There was no suicide note or indication that the deaths were intentional, according to CNN. Although temperatures reached as high as 109 degrees the day the family hiked, dehydration was deemed unlikely because there was still water in the family’s hydration pack, the Chronicle reported.

Snakebites have not been ruled out, although that cause is unlikely because there was no physical evidence of wounds, the sheriff’s office told CNN.

The lack of definitive answers has led investigators to imagine other, more unusual causes. Carbon monoxide poisoning from a mine or toxic algae in the nearby Merced River are among the leading theories.

“At this point, we can’t rule out anything,” Mariposa County sheriff’s deputy Kristie Mitchell said, according to the Fresno Bee.

About a month before the family was found dead, the U.S. Forest Service warned that “a high concentration of algae bloom” had been found in the Merced River near Hites Cove, where Gerrish and Chung were hiking. The Forest Service warned visitors not to swim or let their pets “enjoy” the water.

But reported human deaths from freshwater algal blooms are rare, the Chronicle reported. David Caron, a biological sciences professor at the University of Southern California, told the newspaper that although freshwater bacteria are a threat to people and animals, it would take high concentrations to kill humans rapidly.

“It’s conceivable that it is the cause,” Caron said. “But a lot needs to be done forensically to tie it to toxins.”

Poisoning from mines is also a possibility. When the family was found Tuesday, first responders treated the scene as a hazmat site because carbon monoxide may have leaked out from nearby mines. But the hazmat declaration was lifted Wednesday, and the cause is looking less likely, Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese told the Fresno Bee. The closest mine Briese told the paper he knew of was three miles from where the family was found.

“We have not found any old mine shafts near the area,” he added. “There are some mine shafts, but we can’t confirm if that’s the cause yet.”

Obviously COVID you silly man.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Sounds like H2S released from the ground.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Very strange indeed. Curious how this turns out.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Fentanyl? If mishandled it is deadly to those nearby.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Strange . . . Post here if / when you hear of what toxology reports say . . . weird, indeed.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
H2s or a suckubus

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another explanation.

Lots of miners died up in them hills back in the gold rush days.

Might be the 'haints" got 'em.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only thing I can see linking everyone including the dog would be is water.
Poisoned bottle?

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KFWA

------

They were all dead.

Gerrish and Chung moved to Mariposa from San Francisco in March 2020, Jeffe said. The pandemic made the slow life look increasingly attractive for the young professionals. Gerrish worked at Snapchat, and Chung was working toward a master’s degree in family therapy, he said.

When they lived in San Francisco, the couple enjoyed DJing and going to clubs, Jeffe said. But since they moved to Mariposa — about a three-hour drive east of the city and a 40-mile drive to Yosemite — they became “avid outdoor people.”

Hiking is, apparently, a hobby fraught with danger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bigfoots

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
bigfoots

They'd have eaten a few of the tasty parts I think.

In it is contentment

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 23 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,211
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.