24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mr Travis is far and away the most knowledgeable 1911 man I have ever came across.

In all things 1911, to me his word is Bible!

Example: https://rangehot.com/john-browning-intent-1911-carried/

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quote from the article, "Yes, I know that Condition One is the “best” way 99.9% of the time." What's your point?

Last edited by MOGC; 08/24/21.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
Mr Travis is far and away the most knowledgeable 1911 man I have ever came across.

Mr. Travis certainly appears worthy of your praise. His article contains an excellent historic analysis of 1911 features.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MOGC
Quote from the article, "Yes, I know that Condition One is the “best” way 99.9% of the time." What's your point?

No point really. I happen to agree with him.

More from John....
https://rangehot.com/no-tool-detail-strip-1911/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MOGC

No point really. I happen to agree with him.

More from John....
https://rangehot.com/no-tool-detail-strip-1911/

You’re not all by your lonesome, Uncle.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I carry a 1911 occasionally. That must mean something in and of itself. If only to me..
Yesterday I carried a Glock and will probably today also.
But I like to carry a 1911. They are my most favorite semi auto.
With the 45 Auto my most favorite caliber.

Last edited by glockdoofus; 08/25/21.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Some time ago, the brain trust here took offense when I stated that the 1911 was designed by committee. No, I didn't come up with that on my own - I've read his stuff before.....a long time ago. I guess I just don't have the cred. What I didn't know or remember was the drop safety aspect of the grip safety. Thanks for posting that. John is always interesting.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FreeMe, I think it's more accurate to say some of the 1911's features were decided by committee, but designed and executed by JMB.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
FreeMe, I think it's more accurate to say some of the 1911's features were decided by committee, but designed and executed by JMB.

Yes. But it was funny to see their hair catch fire. wink

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JOG
I think it's more accurate to say some of the 1911's features were decided by committee, but designed and executed by JMB.

I’m with you. The thumb safety, for instance, blocks the sear, blocks the hammer, blocks the slide, is easily manipulated on and off by the shooting hand thumb without much change the shooting hand’s grasp, and is consistent with Browning’s typically thorough practicality of design. What the committee wanted, Browning could provide.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been to the Browning museum where you can see first prototypes of so many of JMB's designs. Something you notice right off; JMB typically didn't bother with safeties. He left that for the manufacturer to work out.

The development of the 1911 is rather similar to the development of the Beretta 92 in the sense that the US tested several models, made various recommendations, and came up with a final design that was acceptable to the Army. It was a team endeavor, JMB would have never got all the way there without the Army, and the Army would have never got there without JMB. Most of the greatest military arms tend to follow this type of development.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I have been to the Browning museum where you can see first prototypes of so many of JMB's designs. Something you notice right off; JMB typically didn't bother with safeties. He left that for the manufacturer to work out.

The development of the 1911 is rather similar to the development of the Beretta 92 in the sense that the US tested several models, made various recommendations, and came up with a final design that was acceptable to the Army. It was a team endeavor, JMB would have never got all the way there without the Army, and the Army would have never got there without JMB. Most of the greatest military arms tend to follow this type of development.

Yes, as with the M1 Garand: Long in development, with contributions from many. Wasn’t the idea of drilling a hole into the bore to tap the energy of expanding powder gases first used by Browning in his “potato digger” 1895 machine gun?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Exchipy

Yes, as with the M1 Garand: Long in development, with contributions from many. Wasn’t the idea of drilling a hole into the bore to tap the energy of expanding powder gases first used by Browning in his “potato digger” 1895 machine gun?

IIRC Maxim was the first American to file patents on gas action. He made some gas action prototypes before deciding to go recoil action on his famous machinegun.

To the best of my recollection, I think Browning's potato digger was the first practical use of gas action...but I could be wrong.

Last edited by GunGeek; 08/27/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Exchipy

IIRC Maxim was the first American to file patents on gas action. He made some gas action prototypes before deciding to go recoil action on his famous machinegun.

To the best of my recollection, I think Browning's potato digger was the first practical use of gas action...but I could be wrong.

The 1894 Maxim machine gun was, of course, recoil operated. From the patent drawings, Maxim’s 1896 patent for gas operated action appears to rely on gasses released out of the bore at the muzzle, rather than through a gas port in the bore, as with the Colt-Browning machine gun patented in 1895.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 3,075 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.