bobmn Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Non-resident hunters vote on South Dakota pheasant plan by not showing up
AUGUST 21, 2021 — 6:50PM

DENNIS ANDERSON, STAR TRIBUNE
South Dakota pheasant hunters have long enjoyed plentiful ringneck and spectacular sunsets. The sunsets are still there.
Dennis Anderson @STRIBDENNIS
To anyone who has ever held a scattergun in pursuit of a ring-necked pheasant, sharp-tailed grouse, prairie chicken or Hungarian partridge, South Dakota is the Helen of Troy of all states.
In Greek mythology, Helen was regaled as the world's most beautiful woman and the trigger point for the Trojan War.
Similarly, South Dakota is the most beautiful state — if not during every month, then certainly from the third week of October through the end of November, the primary time for North American upland bird hunting, the best of which occurs in South Dakota.
Or did.
And perhaps still does.
Meaning the Mount Rushmore State isn't the bountiful pheasant destination it once was for bird hunters. But it's still the best there is.
Consider:
During a six-year period beginning in 1958, when the federal Soil Bank farmland-set-aside program was in force, South Dakota was home to nearly 10 million pheasants, according to state wildlife officials, with annual harvests during the period exceeding 3 million ringnecks.
By 1976, with Soil Bank long since expired, South Dakota's estimated pheasant population had plummeted to 1.4 million, with a relatively scant 372,000 falling to hunters.
The federal Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) started in 1985 marked the beginning of the state's most recent pheasant boom. By 2007, more than 1.5 million South Dakota acres had been planted in bird-friendly cover crops, with producers profiting from direct U.S. payments and in some instances from higher commodity prices.
Hunters benefited as well, with an estimated state ringneck population in 2007 of almost 12 million.
In the years since, the federal government has reduced the number of acres eligible for CRP, and as a consequence, croplands have expanded and South Dakota bird numbers have fallen, as have non-resident hunter participation and hunter harvests.
In this decline, which has been mirrored proportionately in other bird-hunting-destination states, two other important South Dakota developments have occurred:
Its hunting-preserve industry has grown and now numbers 210 such clubs, or preserves, in the state, and the number of game-farm-reared pheasants released by these clubs has increased to nearly 500,000 annually (about half of which are harvested).
And last year for the first time, due to pressure from a new marketing team intent on attracting more pheasant hunters to the state, the South Dakota Department of Game Fish and Parks (GFP) was directed to end its August roadside wildlife survey.
The annual count provided a kind of crystal ball for pheasant hunters to predict the success they might have in the coming season — a service that was particularly useful for non-residents deciding whether a trip to South Dakota would be worthwhile, measured by license cost and other expenses, and birds likely to be encountered.
The marketing team worried that if an August survey showed a bird-population falloff from previous years, the decline would counteract the marketer's "come to South Dakota and hunt the state's bountiful pheasants'' promotional campaigns.
. . .
No one knows yet what to expect for pheasant numbers this fall. Minnesota's August roadside count isn't complete, and North Dakota has only reported its spring crowing counts, which were essentially flat statewide from a year ago.
Mild weather last winter and a dry spring should have yielded bumper ringneck crops. But then came the regional drought, which likely — in fact, almost surely — reduced insect numbers, which are key to chick survival.
"We're being somewhat optimistic about pheasant numbers for this fall,'' said Chad Switzer, South Dakota GFP wildlife program administrator.
Minnesotans are the largest contingent among non-resident South Dakota pheasant hunters. But many stayed away last year. In fact, South Dakota licensed only 62,289 non-resident pheasant hunters in 2020, a modern-day low and down significantly from the 100,189 out-of-state wingshooters who trekked to South Dakota in 2010.
Notably, of the 62,289 non-residents who hunted the state last year, 16,794, or about 27%, chased birds on shooting preserves.
Other states offer similar commercial pheasant shooting opportunities. But none matches South Dakota's Helen-of-Troy-like-beauty, manifested by its golden prairies, horizon-blanketing moons, friendly smiles in small-town cafes, and the cackle of gaudy roosters rising into autumn skies.
Which in large part explains why sporting types from throughout the nation will travel to South Dakota to hunt released birds, when many could do the same in their home states at considerably less expense.
Of course, to pheasant hunting purists, or traditionalists, the idea of paying hundreds of dollars a day to stay in a lodge and shoot released birds, usually in a large group, is akin to, well, shooting fish in a barrel.
Far better they believe, as do I, to tramp either public or private land, perhaps with a buddy and a favorite dog or two, in search of wild pheasants.
. . .
Pull up South Dakota's 2021 Ringneck Outlook online and you'll find no shortage of superlatives describing the state's coming pheasant season.
"The 2020 pheasant season was spectacular in South Dakota, with hunters harvesting over 1.1 million birds(excluding the 253,000 killed on preserves — ed.).While 2020 was incredible, 2021 is shaping up to be even better!''
Let's hope so.
But let's hope also that more factions of South Dakota's pheasant-hunting machine, wildlife managers and marketers alike, come to realize that — notwithstanding the financial benefit shooting preserves provide to the state— the surest way to increase non-resident pheasant hunters in South Dakota is to increase wild-bird numbers.
Which means significantly increasing the habitat that birds need to nest, rear broods and evade predators.
Should that again occur in South Dakota, it truly would be "spectacular'' and "incredible.''

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well said. I've lived in SD since 1960 while bird numbers fluctuate from weather and habitat there is absolutely no down playing the continual loss of access. Mike Rounds as governor shot every resident hunter in the back with his plan to commercialize pheasant hunting in the state. That is the way it is. Those of us who remember knocking on a door with a polite request and getting permission will never forget his treachery or those who still promote it. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a pack of crap.
Dennis Anderson is a BHA leftist. If people are stupid enough to go to SD just to shoot preserve bird that's their problem.
There is so much hunting in SD if you work for it.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunting anywhere is often just what you make of it.

If guys want to go to an expensive "resort" to push and block rows of crops holding raised birds so be it. That's not the style most go to SD for.

I like shooting wild birds with my dog in out of the way places. The sun hasn't set on that yet.

I don't pay any attention to the "gloom & doom" reports. Even in down years the hunting and time in the field with my dogs is great.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hunt the Dakotas every year for a few weeks. The upland numbers are certainly down from when I started going in 1999 but there are still plenty if you look around. CRP needs to make another strong comeback.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pfft. The preserves have taken pressure off of farms, not added to them.

And as far as Dennis Anderson, what a dumb ass. His state wouldn't allow their own people to come back from here without quarantining. Many Minnesotans stayed away for no other reason than that their (&#-up of a governor wouldn't let them go home

Pfft.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And to add to that most people who are moving to SD are from…Mn, beautiful natural beauty that it has. Can anyone guess why?

I Agree about commercial operations, most anyway, who put birds out, but which first also promote grassy and cover crop cover which also greatly aids wild birds.

I think many are thinking of small operations without sprawling cover where birds sometimes actually have to be kicked out of a box.

I’ve hunted private land with put birds where most I took were wild, plus “put birds” after two months (maybe a couple of weeks) of survival school become wild flushers or quick runners, or hard holders.

I greatly look forward to annual trips to SD.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Who are the preserve Bird hunters....and why do they go that route?...Age...available time...Dog people...money....those who do or do not hunt more than couple days a year...Those who prefer for their hunts to be more of a social event rather than actual hunting....those who use the preserve as part of their business....those who want to introduce others to hunting and make the first trips a positive experience...perhaps those who want to do the same for a new Dog???? And all of them are valid reasons.

Who are the hunters that more it less do it on there own on public land..or cultivate land contacts that allow them access to private land?

If I only could squeeze in a couple days of SD Pheasants....I most likely would hit a preserve that allowed me to hunt more or less on my own or with a friend and our Dogs. The group pushes interest me little....however, if someone wants to foot the bill for a high end few days at Thunder Chicken Ranch...Give me call....I'll adapt. laugh

Addition: What are the chances of preserve Birds weakening the genetic strain of the Wild population? A Wild population is a crown jewel....Pa had Grouse in abundance and now they are much fewer....Pa back in the 60's killed as many Wild Pheasants as SD does currently....Now it is almost exclusively put and take. Stocked Birds that have been out a little may act mostly wild....but few will make the long term cut. We had Wild Quail....now we don't. And there is more than habitat that is the issue...

Last edited by battue; 08/24/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD

And as far as Dennis Anderson, what a dumb ass. His state wouldn't allow their own people to come back from here without quarantining. Many Minnesotans stayed away for no other reason than that their (&#-up of a governor wouldn't let them go home

Pfft.

Pa had signs that said to quarantine or be tested to return home....They were ignored by the citizens and the law....If they hadn't the backup would have stretched into Illinois...

What was Minnesota going to do....stop every car coming into the State at every entry point? Did they stop any cars? A friend went to Minnesota to hunt Grouse...they didn't stop him from entering.

Last edited by battue; 08/24/21.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My people in the business told me that Minnesotans cancelled alot of trips over quarantining upon return. I only knew of a couple groups personally who did that. October was our hardest month here for COVID numbers. You have to remember that the Minnesotans who come here have jobs and families and coworkers who would know where they were and why. Minnesota nice isn't just a slogan, its a way of life for them. They're sheeple as a result, generally, and their politics and current unrest show it. They won't make waves.

Preserve birds weakening the genetic strain...I am no biologist but I'm not buying it. In order for a released bird to procreate in the wild, he'd have to make it through the fall, and the winter and get to spring, right? Seems to me he'd have to be a tough MF'r to pass along his side of the twisted ladder...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by BKinSD

Pfft.

Pa had signs that said to quarantine or be tested to return home....They were ignored by the citizens and the law....If they hadn't the backup would have stretched into Illinois...

What was Minnesota going to do....stop every car coming into the State at every entry point? Did they stop any cars? A friend went to Minnesota to hunt Grouse...they didn't stop him from entering.

Last fall I made two trips to SD and one to ND.
Anyone that listened to that fool in St. Paul has serious problems.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
And i'm glad you did

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hunters usually do not represent a cross section of a States population...I've found the majority of the dedicated ones are fairly similar....and them abiding by the State telling them not to leave its boundaries....without returning under quarantine, seems a little odd. Especially with a group mainly composed of Alpha and not far beneath individuals. It certainly meant little in Pa. And it wasn't only hunters.. ..Acquaintances were going on winter vacations to other States. And then there is that Freedom of Movement part of the Constitution....Coworkers asked me what hunts/trips I had planned...Michigan, South Dakota, Florida...and none seemed to think anything odd. Know a girl I'm friends with...she did a couple ski trips, visited the BF in Texas a couple times and did some family trips out of State. None thought anything other than some were envious.

Just seems odd that a hunter, would cancel a trip to a place that was open to travel, based on the Governor making some obviously-in more ways than one-unenforceable suggestion.

Did know a shooter that cancelled his winter Sporting Clay trip to Florida...Wife beetched to much about him possibly getting the Grandkids sick.

As far as Pheasants...Pa had a large reproducing Wild population...and then the GC started mixing in more and more medicated chick stocked birds and it was downhill from there..Perhaps it was something else.

We used to put Birds out on a place....If they didn't get shot early they leaned how to find a meal..Ones shot later almost always had a full crop...One exception that lasted long was a Rooster that was around the second fall after we quit putting out Birds...You would enter the field and sometime would hear him cackle and be gone...Then he disappeared. If he could have found a Hen, I doubt his DNA would have been defective.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I thought it was odd too, but then again I'm not anyone's employee

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yet they sell non-resident hunting licenses….allow them to come in….fly into their airports….mingle with the citizens…eat in their restaurants. …stay in their motels….Yes odd, the sale of NR licenses were not suspended.

Last edited by battue; 08/25/21.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You lost me there

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You referred to a employer/employee relationship and are saying they have the power to make the hunters life miserable. If an employer asked me to take a COVID test on return I would go along. Would do it here if asked. If I passed….they would have no power under the employer/employee relationship you mentioned. If I tested positive..then I would be quarantined for 2 weeks.

Now… if I lived in Minnesota most likely I wouldn’t have this kind of conflict with a boss. Have yet to have one where we would. And the most recent is the first one that shoots

If we couldn’t work it out between us…then above mentioned gives options to see who is willing to be the most miserable.

Last edited by battue; 08/25/21.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sorry, I haven't analyzed it. I just reported what I was told. I didn't have the chance to reason or argue with them either.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like some needed rain should happen today.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
its sprinkling right now. at this point, the situation is what it is. Bummer that the birds were coming along so nicely west river and unfortunately this drought will set them back a few years.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,467
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.