Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BGE aren’t just for grilling, you can bake in them as well. I do cakes, lasagna, etc.. Wish I had a second one.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
If you really want to simplify until you get things sorted out:

Smoke @ 225 for 30 minutes.

Crank to 400 and leave on another 30-45.

^^^^^This is what you need to do. As said, 400* is way too hot to smoke and soaking wood does nothing except delay the smoke as the wood just steams until it is dry enough to start smoking. I have cooked a bit on Green Eggs. wink

[Linked Image from thumbs2.imagebam.com]

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BufordBoone

BTW, though I failed to mention it, I am soaking the hickory in water for an hour or more.

Stop doing that.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have been interested in these, even researched them to the point that I figured a Primos was the way to go, but ended up asking myself, "Why should I spend more than the asking price for that 19-3 I'm ready to make an offer on for one of these things?" I grill, smoke, barbecue a lot and always have been happy with my $99.95 Webber kettle grill. In the past ten years I spent $18.00 to put new vent baffles in it. I do ribs (4 racks at a time), steaks, roasts (10 pound standing rib roasts), whole 20 pound turkeys, whole chickens, 2 pork shoulders at once.... just about anything...not trashing or criticizing the (many) BGE fan on here, but having absolutely no experience with these things serious question: what can I do with a ceramic grill that I can't do with my $100 Webber?

Mathew 22: 37-39

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have been interested in these, even researched them to the point that I figured a Primos was the way to go, but ended up asking myself, "Why should I spend more than the asking price for that 19-3 I'm ready to make an offer on for one of these things?" I grill, smoke, barbecue a lot and always have been happy with my $99.95 Webber kettle grill. In the past ten years I spent $18.00 to put new vent baffles in it. I do ribs (4 racks at a time), steaks, roasts (10 pound standing rib roasts), whole 20 pound turkeys, whole chickens, 2 pork shoulders at once.... just about anything...not trashing or criticizing the (many) BGE fan on here, but having absolutely no experience with these things serious question: what can I do with a ceramic grill that I can't do with my $100 Webber?

I have both, each has their strengths, sounds like you are good to go and dont need to worry about an egg

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Ceramics cover everything from cold smoking to brick oven level temps.

They also maintain temp better than most any cooker you will ever use. And that is without gadgetry.

I've owned or used just about every type of cooker out there and we have determined that we will never be without a quality gas grill (I use the Weber Genesis) or a ceramic. We happen to have the BGE and I'm very happy with it.

They have to be used to be appreciated.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with 'flave. They hold temps very well and very long. I'll not be without a ceramic cooker. Not sure the brand matters. Mines a BGE, but it was a surprise gift from my wife. At first I wasn't that enamored, but now that I know how to work it better, I totally dig it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by killerv

I have both, each has their strengths, sounds like you are good to go and dont need to worry about an egg

The thing I like most is i can probably cook at 225 for 24 hours without any maintenance/one small load of lump. I’ll throw on a brisket or butt at midnight, plug in my stoker or bbq guru temp controller and go to bed. No worries of watching or babysitting a smoker.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Thanks for the responses.... maybe I do need one. I really like the idea of being able to do a brisket or pork shoulder while I'm sleeping, not having to stick around and check on it every so often. Maybe I'll reexamine the whole idea.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my buddy has one of these and loves it. i have had the ribs it does and they were perfect. kind of tempted for the price.

Pit Boss

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Late to the party and it has been covered, but to re-iterate.......

There are VERY FEW applications that are appropriate to soak wood prior to a smoke.

And if you don't know what they are, you should not be doing it. So just.....Don't.

And, alarmingly I for once agree with the resident drunkard (Deflave) on the usefulness of the BGE and those who use them.

Now I need to go disinfect.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Originally Posted by deflave
If you really want to simplify until you get things sorted out:

Smoke @ 225 for 30 minutes.

Crank to 400 and leave on another 30-45.

^^^^^This is what you need to do. As said, 400* is way too hot to smoke and soaking wood does nothing except delay the smoke as the wood just steams until it is dry enough to start smoking. I have cooked a bit on Green Eggs. wink

[Linked Image from thumbs2.imagebam.com]

That little one on the bird feeder stand is kinda cute.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by rem141r
is this what you cook big green ham on?

WSM man here. costs a lot less and is a hell of a lot more portable. i can do an all night smoke at 225 with one basket of charcoal and a few chunks of wood.

Me too.

Yep, WSM here also.

My Brother in law has an Egg. He can't cook worth a damn.

...but he thinks he can.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I was in this exact position 5 years ago.

I purchased the oval XL primo and it does all this things (plus several others) so much better. The temp control because of restricted (or not) air flow is the difference. I stopped using my weber and gave it to a buddy's son who had just graduated.

They are a great cooking appliance.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by duck911
Late to the party and it has been covered, but to re-iterate.......

There are VERY FEW applications that are appropriate to soak wood prior to a smoke.

And if you don't know what they are, you should not be doing it. So just.....Don't.

And, alarmingly I for once agree with the resident drunkard (Deflave) on the usefulness of the BGE and those who use them.

Now I need to go disinfect.

And, all this time, I never knew. Certainly will make the process easier. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went with the Costco Pit Boss ceramic Kamado. I believe the model is K24. It has all the functionality of the BGE, lifetime warranty (being sold at Costco) and a price point of $599. I've had mine several years and have nothing but positive results. There is a bit of a learning curve at the beginning when it comes to hitting targeted temps.

I see absolutely no reason anyone should pay the premium for the BGE. Like buying a Mercedes when a Honda does the same job. More of a status symbol really.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Cooked a big[for two] pork roast yesterday on my[not BGE] Komodo style cooker yesterday which is the cheap $300-400 Lowes knockoff, held @ 300 for over 6 hours.

FJB & FJT
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by woodson
I went with the Costco Pit Boss ceramic Kamado. I believe the model is K24. It has all the functionality of the BGE, lifetime warranty (being sold at Costco) and a price point of $599. I've had mine several years and have nothing but positive results. There is a bit of a learning curve at the beginning when it comes to hitting targeted temps.

I see absolutely no reason anyone should pay the premium for the BGE. Like buying a Mercedes when a Honda does the same job. More of a status symbol really.

Hondas aint what they used to be, just had to put all new injectors in a 2016.

I paid 625 for my bge large with nest and several accessories, bge cover, etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Killer you got a great price on your BGE. Routinely see these things over 1k.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by woodson
Killer you got a great price on your BGE. Routinely see these things over 1k.

aint gonna lie, that was 15 years ago. I think larges now are 799 locally and all the extras for them have doubled in price. Buddy owns a couple Ace Hardwares and their cost was around 370 for a large not too long ago, quite the markup on these things.

Last edited by killerv; 08/30/21.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 3,361 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.