Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
WSF for quite some time now. Vincepo, powder coat in that 995 carbine works well

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gunner500
Longshot powder, bullets from 90gr Lehighs to 125gr Barnes, all sit on a mildly compressed powder charge, no set back issues, top velocity and accuracy.

I'm glad someone suggested Longshot powder. I just got back from the range a little while ago. Testing some loads with longshot and the 125gr HAP bullet. I'm not wanting to push it too hard, so I figured I'd stop just shy of 1,100 fps. I'm sure I could easily get to 1,150+ fps, but its a pretty accurate load as is.. Probably plenty good enough for the pin shoot coming up in 2 weeks.. 15 yard target, freehand:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You bet, it's good powder Buddy, good shooting too.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Longshot powder, bullets from 90gr Lehighs to 125gr Barnes, all sit on a mildly compressed powder charge, no set back issues, top velocity and accuracy.

I'm glad someone suggested Longshot powder. I just got back from the range a little while ago. Testing some loads with longshot and the 125gr HAP bullet. I'm not wanting to push it too hard, so I figured I'd stop just shy of 1,100 fps. I'm sure I could easily get to 1,150+ fps, but its a pretty accurate load as is.. Probably plenty good enough for the pin shoot coming up in 2 weeks.. 15 yard target, freehand:

You bet, it's good powder Buddy, good shooting too.

My buddy gave me a pound of longshot. I had to use it in something. Ha ha.. I'm sure I could step on the gas pedal a lot more, but I'm getting pretty good accuracy and poi is just where I want it for next saturday's pin shoot... Should be able to tear them up with that load, as is. I hope.. I was practicing the other day and 5 pins off the table in about 4 seconds with the CZ. Not nearly as fast as the 22lr (at 2.5 seconds), but those pins are set up at the back of the table and go off easier. The pins for the mid bore are at the middle of the table, so you have to hit them just right to get them all the way off with the first shot.. I'll probably use my CZ 9mm in the big bore event as well too. Its just a good shooting pistol and holds 19 rounds, so there's that too. Ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Longshot is the cats ass in the 10mm as well. I’m using accurate #7 in the 9mm.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Longshot is the cats ass in the 10mm as well. I’m using accurate #7 in the 9mm.

I've used both power pistol and longshot in my 40 S&W and my 45 ACP and it worked great, but this is the first time I tried it in the 9mm. I'm not saying it's the cats azz, but it works for sure. Loaded up 400 rounds of the 125gr HAP and 200 of the 124gr XTP's. Same charge of powder and oal:

Doesn't look like 400 rounds laying there. I kept thinking I wished I had a progressive. I was only able to load 385 in an hour on my single stage..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I did 2000 9mm 115 gr RNHB over 4.3 gr Universal this weekend. I still have 500 MT cases to fill with 124 gr RMR hollowpoints. They will get the same charge of Universal until it runs out. Then I will get back into the open can of HS-6.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I did 2000 9mm 115 gr RNHB over 4.3 gr Universal this weekend. I still have 500 MT cases to fill with 124 gr RMR hollowpoints. They will get the same charge of Universal until it runs out. Then I will get back into the open can of HS-6.

I like Universal. It is great powder. Works very well in the 40 and 45 too..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yeah, you're in a good spot with that Longshot 9mm pinbuster load buddy.

Trump Won!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Universal is very versatile. I started using it many years ago as a cleaner alternative to Unique for "special level" loads in the 41 mag. And also use it for moderate 327 loads.

Really lite revolver loads get Titegroup.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use Titegroup in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45’s

IC B3

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Have any of you Longshot shooters found it to be particularly loud? I've heard people jokingly refer to it as "Loudshot".

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Yaddio
Have any of you Longshot shooters found it to be particularly loud? I've heard people jokingly refer to it as "Loudshot".

In a shotgun it is for sure, but I have not experienced it in my 9mm. Maybe because I'm only running 5 grains or so? When I shot trap competitively (or for money I should say), we would run them hot and heavy. 1500 fps with longshot was louder than normal loads. You'd see more flame coming out of the porting as well.. Were those people you are referring to pistol shooters or shotgun shooters?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had good luck with HS-6

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, you're in a good spot with that Longshot 9mm pinbuster load buddy.

Thanks buddy. I was practicing yesterday. I'm going to see if the video will load here. First time to post a video with IMGUR, so bear with me.
Bowling pin practice

Pin practice #2

I didn't get my 9mm video to load. Those above were shot with the MKII... Pins at the back of the table.

Finally got my 9mm video to load
These pins were shot with that longshot load I was talking about, where I'm using the 125gr HAP bullet. Not a real fast load, about on par with factory 124gr FMJ loads, but they do shoot well. In the video, you'll see where the pins were set in the middle of the plywood. Like Swifty said about 16" from the back edge of the table. Its hard to see this in the video, but the pins are actually 24" from the edge (right in the center of a standard sheet of plywood). This is not the table our club uses, just a piece of plywood I use for practice. It measures 4' x 5'6" long. I believe the 5 pins were all off the table in about 3.5 seconds or so.. In the previous videos, some of those pins were off in about 2.5 seconds. But I was using my Ruger mkII 22lr. For the rimfire event, the pins are at the back edge of the table, as the video shows. My pin shoot is this Saturday, so I'm getting pretty stoked about it... Should be a lot of fun.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn’t look like them pins are 16” from the rear of the table which is standard for 9mm. When positioned right they roll some, not just fall off. 22 rimfire only at the back.

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Doesn’t look like them pins are 16” from the rear of the table which is standard for 9mm. When positioned right they roll some, not just fall off. 22 rimfire only at the back.

Like I said, those were shot with my mkII.. I'll get the 9mm video to load in a few hours.. grin. Damn cell phones... I'm sure there is an easier way. I may start a new thread to see how many pin shooters we have in the forum. I know Waders shoots them. Had some guys show up from the big cities (Portland and Vancouver) with race guns a few times. One guy in particular was said to shoot those pins off in "4 seconds" WOW!!... yeah he got his azz handed to him by a few rednecks..

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I would have thought there would be a lot more recommendations for CFE Pistol.... whats wrong with that powder?

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by Yaddio

In a shotgun it is for sure, but I have not experienced it in my 9mm. Maybe because I'm only running 5 grains or so? When I shot trap competitively (or for money I should say), we would run them hot and heavy. 1500 fps with longshot was louder than normal loads. You'd see more flame coming out of the porting as well.. Were those people you are referring to pistol shooters or shotgun shooters?

Pistol

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot pins for about 10 years till the local club quit for whatever reason, believe rock your glock made more money. Funner than all get out. Pins get heavy and don’t roll to well after they have been shot a bunch. Want some real fun, shoot a single action class. Most fun I ever had.

Last edited by Swifty52; 08/26/21.

Swifty
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Oakster
I would have thought there would be a lot more recommendations for CFE Pistol.... whats wrong with that powder?

I hope nothing is wrong with it. A couple weeks ago it was the only thing on the shelf at Sportsman's and I grabbed a couple pounds.

I have not loaded with it yet. But all the data looks very promising. I have been cleaning out some old inventory, Universal & HS-6. But I am looking forward to trying CFE Pistol and a couple pounds of Longshot I found last week.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
130 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 17 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.