Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have yet to find a way to make ducks or geese taste "good", and yes......I've had easily a dozen people tell me over the years "you haven't tried my duck jerky, gumbo, hamburger, X, Y, Z", to which I did and I still can't say it was good. Even when ground up and mixed in with deer/elk/whatever grind with bacon and turned into sausage, I could still taste the.......duck.

I largely quit (but not totally) hunting them for multiple reasons beyond taste, though they are fun as hell to shoot.

I truly believe the subjectiveness of taste buds is a huge part of why some people like ducks but hate whitetail, love elk but hate mule deer, etc. I can't tell the difference between any kind of deer, elk or moose, but can for damn sure taste waterfowl's nastiness.

You are in the best area to hunt duck. None them chit pond lower 48 ducks man.

Yeah, most all of what they ate while down south for the winter has been converted to duck flesh!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pepperoni or summer sausage is our usual outlet. Though chunking up breast pieces, a good soak in Yoshidas then wrap in bacon with a slice of jalapeño and grill usually works for me. Also been known to slice thin, marinate and use in stir fry

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have yet to find a way to make ducks or geese taste "good", and yes......I've had easily a dozen people tell me over the years "you haven't tried my duck jerky, gumbo, hamburger, X, Y, Z", to which I did and I still can't say it was good. Even when ground up and mixed in with deer/elk/whatever grind with bacon and turned into sausage, I could still taste the.......duck.

I largely quit (but not totally) hunting them for multiple reasons beyond taste, though they are fun as hell to shoot.

I truly believe the subjectiveness of taste buds is a huge part of why some people like ducks but hate whitetail, love elk but hate mule deer, etc. I can't tell the difference between any kind of deer, elk or moose, but can for damn sure taste waterfowl's nastiness.

You are in the best area to hunt duck. None them chit pond lower 48 ducks man.

Yeah, most all of what they ate while down south for the winter has been converted to duck flesh!

Yeah all those salmon eggs add great flavor to a already borderline inedible bird….

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What, you don't like the flavor of incorporated caviar?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Beaver10
In my teens thru my twenties, I duck and goose hunted 30 plus days a season. We’d pile up the Mallards, Widgeon, Teal, and geese to the point where our freezer should have sprouted wings.

I enjoyed eating a fat roasted mallard or goose a couple times a month. The problem became we had more ducks than we could eat just by oven roasting. We started breasting out our smaller ducks, then sauté them with different herbs and seasonings, including Teriyaki sauce and stir frying to change up the flavor.

All cooking methods produced good to decent table eats, but, eventually we’d tire on Donald Duck. Enter the smoker - We starting smoking duck breast, which was pretty good. That’s as far as we took it for ways to prepare duck.

I stopped serious duck hunting the last 20 years, but the past couple years I started getting a serious itch to start hunting them again.

I took it a step further by getting myself a duck boat last week. Ducks are gonna fall this winter, so I’m looking for some good ways to prepare duck, besides the ways I mentioned above.

What do you all got for turning a duck into some tasty food ?

🦫

PS

Some high priced restaurants have charged upwards of $60 bucks for a whole duck. Never ordered it, but I’ve heard Liberals say it’s amazing !??! Amazing, wtf am I missing ?

Waterfowl hunting is my Dad's favorite thing (and keep in mind he earned his GS of NA Sheep in the 60's)

We have a duck camp south of Abbeville, LA. I have a place in Nebraska. Before I retired I was over O&M on a couple of plants in North Dakota where they've given me forever hunting privileges. Let's just say we kill a lot of ducks. That said:

#5: Follow Emeril's "Turkey Bone Gumbo" recipe, with duck. (Also the BEST way to use wild turkey...I do a turkey slam most years)

#4: Weirdly, the best Chinese Crispy Duck I ever had was from a small place in Aberdeen, Scotland. (and I worked in China!) I swore on my honor I wouldn't share their technique, but just use a "Crispy Duck" with orange or plum that ranks high on the web searches.

#3: Stroganoff! Totally de-fat, soak in chicken broth, then substitute for beef in your favorite stroganoff recipe.

#2: Jerky! Both dehydrated and ground and gunshot can be really freaking good if one knows how to make jerky!!

#1 Shoot. Gather. Bring home. Clean. Shrink wrap. Put in freezer. Wait the appropriate time until that [bleep] is TOTALLY freezer burned...then throw in the garbage.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Crispy Chicken caught my eye.

#1 Trying hard to avoid it...BTDT 😬

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Timberrunner and SK, right on. As a guy who's killed and cooked waterfowl numbering into 4 digits, I have thoughts on t'matter. 1st, depends on type of bird and what it likes to eat. A black duck on the coast feeding on marine invertebrates will taste much different from one just inland in freshwater feeding on corn and the like. Table quality of ducks/geese can range from inedible to damned delicious. Declaring all across the board to be unfit for consumption is, to me, similar to taking Sal's ubiquitous long-arming fish pics as reality. If you've never had properly prepared, plump wild duck served up for dinner, you're not entitled to an opinion. YMMV.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Timberrunner and SK, right on. As a guy who's killed and cooked waterfowl numbering into 4 digits, I have thoughts on t'matter. 1st, depends on type of bird and what it likes to eat. A black duck on the coast feeding on marine invertebrates will taste much different from one just inland in freshwater feeding on corn and the like. Table quality of ducks/geese can range from inedible to damned delicious. Declaring all across the board to be unfit for consumption is, to me, similar to taking Sal's ubiquitous long-arming fish pics as reality. If you've never had properly prepared, plump wild duck served up for dinner, you're not entitled to an opinion. YMMV.

I hunted waterfowl hard for a dozen or more years in the famed rice fields of the Sacramento Valley.
I killed hundreds of them.
Mallards, Pintail, Widgeons, Gadwall, Teal...all of 'em.
I could no longer justify killing the beautiful creatures that I really could hardly stand to eat.
I ate them prepared in every imaginable way, every bacon wrapped, marmalade and teriyaki and garlic slurry possible.
Rare, medium rare, medium, well done and burned to s.h.i.t.
They were edible...not enjoyable.

I agree with T_Inman 100%.
Everything you do in a duck recipe is designed to mask the taste of the duck.

Give me scales over feathers any day, even dinks like this...🤣😉

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Photo Nazis...🤣🤣🤣

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Good" ducks (Mallards, wood duck, teal, etc.) you treat like beef. Do not overcook or you will get the same result as you will with beef.

Shyt ducks like shovelers and most divers gotta be cooked into oblivion. That's where the gumbo comes in.

There is no comparison between domestic and wild duck.

Domestic ducks or very fat (confit). Wild ducks fly.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've heard that California ducks taste like chit.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I've heard that California ducks taste like chit.

🤔

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Up for more fish pictures

LOL

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
OK !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Laffin....At least I know that meal will taste great.

😬🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Some stuffed bacon wrapped duck breast I made for my kid the other day. Not to bad.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Springcove

Some stuffed bacon wrapped duck breast I made for my kid the other day. Not to bad.

Damn !

Sc, you’re a fine cook...PM me a picture of your face, and maybe I’ll consider dating you.

😝🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Damn !

Sc, you’re a fine cook...PM me a picture of your face, and maybe I’ll consider dating you.

😝🦫

Um no…

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Damn !

😝🦫

Um no…

Pfft....That’s the drugs talking.

😂🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Back to seriousness....That wrapped duck breast looks delicious.

You grilling to medium, or medium rare ?

🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am surprised to hear y'all making fun of the Canada Goose. My buddy lived in South Dakota and he shot a few of them. His wife cut the goose up into big chunks, and breaded and fried it. Big 2 ounce and 3 ounce chunks of fried goose, it was more than the 3 of us could eat. About 5 pounds of that meat and it was just delicious.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 50 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,541
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.