Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just picked up a used West Germany RWS Diana model 48 in .177 caliber. Came with a Sportview AO 4x scope. Scope seems to be holding zero ok at this point.

Just got it sighted in. Fun to shoot. So far, it is shooting Crossman Premier round nose pellets into dime sized groups at 25 yards ( the only pellets I had on hand). So far, so good. The goal is to protect the wife's garden from woodchucks.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Congratulations on your new RWS48. That model is a real power house. It should be just the ticket for protecting your wife's garden.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Be aware: Some first timers that you hand your rifle to may try to close the side lever without releasing the bear trap safety. It naturally takes force to open and cock the spring with the lever, and ‘naturally’ some assume it takes force to close it, not realizing they are pushing against the bear trap safety. I’ve replaced broken cocking rods on these rifles more than once when I repaired them! I used to keep a couple new ones around just because of this.
Also the mainsprings tends to break a couple coils in by about 1,000 shots in early guns, not sure about recent production rifles. Rifle still shoots ok but will show a drop in velocity. RWS puts a pretty powerful spring in these guns, and a light pellet in .177 will go supersonic. The factory spring can be replaced inexpensively, but a custom tune and aftermarket spring can give thousands of shots if the original ever breaks. Nice rifle, I’ve owned several and enjoyed them all.

Last edited by Alaninga; 08/28/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice rifle for sure. The 48 has a bit more power than I like in 177, to me it makes a fantastic rifle in 22 though.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
the 48 shoots heavier pellets like the Kodiaks and JSB heavies very well and it calms shot cycle a bit.. I put a Vortek kit in mine like a different gun, smooth shooting at about 16.5-17ft lbs.Very accurate at 60 yds 1 inch groups very common.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I test fired one in .25 cal. Ok but 22 probably better all around. Or .177 for high velocity fun. As posted above, heavy 177’s best as this rifle can get them down range plenty fast enough.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Alaninga
I test fired one in .25 cal. Ok but 22 probably better all around. Or .177 for high velocity fun. As posted above, heavy 177’s best as this rifle can get them down range plenty fast enough.

I had a .25 RWS Model 52 which is just a fancy 48 and while I liked it same as you prefer a .22.. sold it to a guy for his son and he was very happy with it. 48s are fairly heavy guns but are a killer hunting weapon if you dont mind hauling them around. .177s with heavy soft pellets are good squirrel killers and with a harder pellet will put a raccoon or ground hog down quick with a brain shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alaninga
Be aware: Some first timers that you hand your rifle to may try to close the side lever without releasing the bear trap safety. It naturally takes force to open and cock the spring with the lever, and ‘naturally’ some assume it takes force to close it, not realizing they are pushing against the bear trap safety. I’ve replaced broken cocking rods on these rifles more than once when I repaired them! I used to keep a couple new ones around just because of this.
Also the mainsprings tends to break a couple coils in by about 1,000 shots in early guns, not sure about recent production rifles. Rifle still shoots ok but will show a drop in velocity. RWS puts a pretty powerful spring in these guns, and a light pellet in .177 will go supersonic. The factory spring can be replaced inexpensively, but a custom tune and aftermarket spring can give thousands of shots if the original ever breaks. Nice rifle, I’ve owned several and enjoyed them all.

Count me in with the ones that took a minute to figger that out. My 54 is a bear to cock; not for the kidddies for sure. About time to service it too. A lot of pellets have gone down that barrel.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I just sold my mod 54 to my stepson, while it was super accurate its about a 1# heavier then the 48 and will wear you out hauling it around. Have owned 3-4 of them and killed a lot of squirrels/pigeons with them just like a bit lighter rifle now..I hunt mostly with a BSA Lightning XL .22 or a Beeman R-9 .22 for squirrels now..
Your gonna like the 48 they are not super finicky about hold like some springers, after you wear out your oem spring or it breaks Id get a Vortek kit and put in it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.