Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Not truck tube, right?
Heavier tube wall maybe? Try thinner slices?

Mine are about 1/2” wide.

How many bikers did you have to run off the road before you found the right thickness?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by ironbender
Not truck tube, right?
Heavier tube wall maybe? Try thinner slices?

Mine are about 1/2” wide.

How many bikers did you have to run off the road before you found the right thickness?

Not a one. Used my own bike tire tube. 👍

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Zippo, yuck. Get a spendy Exotac if your into Zippo. Comes at a price but it's the evolution of the Zippo. Also the Exotac match case with UCO matches is a solid piece of gear.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Zippo, yuck. Get a spendy Exotac if your into Zippo. Comes at a price but it's the evolution of the Zippo. Also the Exotac match case with UCO matches is a solid piece of gear.

Oh you rotten prick...that is going to cost me fucking hundreds!

Just ordered the FreeKey and have saved the reel and the match case to my watched list.

Screw you.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Just ordered the match safe, interesting enough it cost just over $66 in Australia...fishing reel next.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Its hard to see in the pic but I use a lighter and or matches and "trick candles". The party candles that re-light themselves when you blow them out. They are meant for kids birthday cakes but are perfect for getting a fire going.

In the bottom of the pic is a green one getting this fire going:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One practical field note.

Once they have been used, the relighting feature is only good for the first part of the candle, after that they are just regular candles. But a few of these weigh pretty much nothing, are cheap and work exceedingly well for getting a fire going. Use a candle to get a fuel tab going and you are good to go.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Its hard to see in the pic but I use a lighter and or matches and "trick candles". The party candles that re-light themselves when you blow them out. They are meant for kids birthday cakes but are perfect for getting a fire going.

Once they have been used, the relighting feature is only good for the first part of the candle, after that they are just regular candles. But a few of these weigh pretty much nothing, are cheap and work exceedingly well for getting a fire going. Use a candle to get a fuel tab going and you are good to go.

Brilliant. I hunt and guide in the Adirondacks through all 12 months and candles are often in a fire starting kit. Never even considered the relighting candles. I’ll have some in my pack soon.

Thanks.

Last edited by fshaw; 01/13/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought an exotac lighter just after new years. Nice lighter, but can be fussy when it's cold out. On a couple of occasions I had trouble igniting paper at our burn pile in very cold conditions.
Might work better if carried in an inside pocket.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnw
I bought an exotac lighter just after new years. Nice lighter, but can be fussy when it's cold out. On a couple of occasions I had trouble igniting paper at our burn pile in very cold conditions.
Might work better if carried in an inside pocket.
I've never seen one. Doesn't that use ordinary lighter fluid? Is it any better than a Zippo?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fuel chamber is o-ring sealed so the lighter fluid doesn't evaporate out as quickly. A Zippo will lose it's fuel by evaporation in pretty short order.

But overall I'm gonna say that my Zippo works better in cold conditions than my Exotac does, within the limited testing I've done.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The fuel chamber is o-ring sealed so the lighter fluid doesn't evaporate out as quickly. A Zippo will lose it's fuel by evaporation in pretty short order.

But overall I'm gonna say that my Zippo works better in cold conditions than my Exotac does, within the limited testing I've done.

You can use a bicycle inner tube that fits snug over a Zippo and it will slow the evaporation/leakage of the fluid.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Deans

You can use a bicycle inner tube that fits snug over a Zippo and it will slow the evaporation/leakage of the fluid.
I've done that for a long time. It slows it down but doesn't stop it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

huh interesting idea

Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
late to this topic, but I have had one of these for about a year and a half…charges quick, never fails, and has the 100 lumen flashlight too!

https://tacticalgear.com/mission-made-tactical-torch-black

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rem oil, Kleenex, and a vehicle cigarette lighter.

Old guy, old guns.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
208 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.