Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone using a plasma lighter? I like the rechargeability of them plus they "should" be free of elevation effects.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've read up some on them but I've never used one. I think they'd be great for camping and hunting but I wouldn't trust one to replace my Zippo for emergencies. Electronics can go bad. A small container of lighter fluid in my pack is a reliable backup.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've tested one out for over a year and surprised at how reliable it's been.
It's probably three or four times heavier than a disposable and needs recharged. That's about the only drawback I can think of.

I still prefer scripto clear. Maybe it's because I used a disposable butane lighter all of my life. I adjust them high, which is why Bics aren't for me. You can even take them apart to set the flame higher.
The only true advantage I can see to the plasma type is that it doesn't blow out with wind. Also, wet hands don't touch a striker and make it wet and unable to ignite.
These are the few considerations besides going for one with a good review.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/27/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Thanks for the thread B, I was not aware of such but just received an orange Explorer from amazon. I ordered it for my wife to use for lighting the indoor fire.

Might just go ahead and order a longer one for the bbq.

Done, ordered one for the barbie, ebay less that $10.

Last edited by JSTUART; 09/13/21.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Thanks for the thread B, I was not aware of such but just received an orange Explorer from amazon. I ordered it for my wife to use for lighting the indoor fire.

This one?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ironbender

This one?

Just ordered two.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Yes, that is the one from amazon, and THIS is the one for the bbq.

I am pretty pleased with the Explorer.

Have added pictures for size comparison.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got 2 of these for $17. They work very well for camp stoves. The piezo lighter on my Coleman propane stove only works half the time. So far this has been flawless. They're far better than butane lighters at high altitudes and in the cold.
For emergency use in the field, though, I want my Zippo in my pocket. Liquid fuel is more reliable than a battery.

These come in a very nice box that probably costs as much as the lighters.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I mentioned that the piezo lighter on my propane stove only works half the time. If you see a spark, it's working. The problem is the gas isn't getting to where the spark is. This plasma lighter takes care of that problem. I just have to make sure it's charged before a camping trip or carry a power pack of some kind just in case.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
I've tested one out for over a year and surprised at how reliable it's been.
It's probably three or four times heavier than a disposable and needs recharged. That's about the only drawback I can think of.

I still prefer scripto clear. Maybe it's because I used a disposable butane lighter all of my life. I adjust them high, which is why Bics aren't for me. You can even take them apart to set the flame higher.
The only true advantage I can see to the plasma type is that it doesn't blow out with wind. Also, wet hands don't touch a striker and make it wet and unable to ignite.
These are the few considerations besides going for one with a good review.
I'll take a Zippo any day over a disposable for emergency use. For one thing, you can light a Zippo and set it down. You don't have to keep your thumb on it. That gives you both hands free to handle the tinder. Lighter fluid will light at any temperature or altitude, unlike butane. I've done a number of demonstrations for scouts comparing the 2 types for fire building in bad conditions. Zippo wins.

I see plasma lighters as a very good tool for the outdoors but I want my Zippo in my pocket for a backup.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We use a couple for lighting candles. I tried using one to light some magnesium shavings and it was kind of a dud. Even a strike-anywhere match took a long time on those, but a spark rod got it going after a good direct hit.

Put one in my pocket not long ago as a backup to the piezo on my flame gun. Dang safety got switched off in my pocket and when I pulled it out I found out what that little bugger feels like on your finger. No burn, just a good pinch.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two is one, one is none, so I guess three is two. I carry a disposable, a spark rod, and some mongo hurricane matches and tinder in my pack. I like Zippos, but since I don’t smoke, I always let them dry out on me. Lighter fluid has become a specialty item around here; grocery stores don’t have it, or maybe they hide it.

Those big windproof matches are amazing. You really can poke a lit one in the snow and have it come back out burning like Hell. They do require a striker, but come with several.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remember when we had real strike anywhere matches? Most of this stuff wasn't needed because we had GOOD matches.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Two is one, one is none, so I guess three is two. I carry a disposable, a spark rod, and some mongo hurricane matches and tinder in my pack. I like Zippos, but since I don’t smoke, I always let them dry out on me. Lighter fluid has become a specialty item around here; grocery stores don’t have it, or maybe they hide it.

Those big windproof matches are amazing. You really can poke a lit one in the snow and have it come back out burning like Hell. They do require a striker, but come with several.

hurricane matches are meant to be lit with a Bic which you then put in your pocket before you burn your thumb.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my lighter. Always works.
After I bought the fist one for my kit I got a second one to keep in my Jeep.
It's nice being able to light up a stogie while going 70 with the top and doors off.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ironbender

This one?

funny. I click on that link and it's $19.95. don't ya just love Amazon?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Amazon has a couple dozen brands that are about identical and with the Explorer name on them. They're different brands and prices but I suspect that they all come from the same Chinese factory. They have 2 different types of burners as seen in these photos. One has the spark on top and the other has it down inside. I don't know if one is better than the other. Has anyone compared them? Just from looking at the photos, it looks like the top spark type would be easier to get in the tinder.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
This thread caused me to order one similar to the orange one above. I have mini Bics in packs by the dozen but find them difficult in the wind and w/ gloves like the real world offers. Zippos are great but never seem to have fuel when I need it.

I tested the explorer yesterday w/ gloves and the wind and it easily lit my cotton balls and other fire starters. It did not work well w/ a bundle of dry grass and twigs. I think that carrying tinder/fire starter that works in all conditions is probably the key.

YMMV

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In my limited experience with these lighters, they do best with some kind of tinder or fire starter. They don't get hot enough to get twigs burning. The best homemade tinder I've found is vasoline coated cotton balls. I carry a bunch in a ziplock bag all the time. Many guys who make them use too much vasoline. You have to keep the centers of the balls dry. Vasoline itself won't burn. You need to tear one apart to light the dry cotton in the middle. Once it's going, the vasoline on the outside will vaporize and burn for a long time. A plasma lighter will light the dry cotton almost immediately so you don't have to stand there holding it waiting for it to start burning.

― George Orwell

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Try slices of bicycle inner tube.

Lights easy, burns pretty long, and hot, and is 100% waterproof.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

380 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 47 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,119
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.