-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I drew a hair tag for an elk in the West Murderers creek, Oregon. I normally hunt the Silvies unit so this is a new area for me. I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a good elk hunt besides private land. Don't mind a good hike. I'm not asking for anyone's secret spot just not sure where to go. I have a map of the unit so any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance 😁

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Maybe try northwest firearms, but don't tell them I sent you.. Ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Or ifish

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
On 395, west of John Day , you cross the river at Clyde Holiday state park. Turn off 395, go south on Laycock Cr, 8 miles or so maybe. Coal Pit Mtn is the highest peak...start there. Schitty weather is your friend in that steep sonofagun. Gets them elks movin', because as rough as it is, you ain't gonna run 'em down on foot when it's dry. There are more elk in the furthest south area of the unit...but all them rich lawyer ranches have the best of it sewed up tight.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We (Cookie and I) used to do deer there, and were always into elk. We would park at what used to be the USFS Bear Valley Guard Station on the Paulina highway, hike south upslope through the timber for about a half hour, and emerge from the timber overlooking a mix of pine and sagebrush looking down into the Scotty Creek drainage. In the AM elk would feed upslope and go into the dark timber. PM they would emerge from the timber and go out into the sage to forage. Some substantial bulls.

Not sure if the guard station is still there, but it was about a 9 or 10 mile run from the 395 route between Seneca and John Day. Most camps were along Scotty Creek and one might see a hunter or two coming upslope and pushing animals ahead of them in the early morning. The major ridge there is oriented east/west with the herring bones running to the south. Area is about right for dispersing 3 or 4 hunters.

Good luck and envious of the tag

1Minute
IC B2

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks gives me something to go on.

S
OP Offline
S
Awesome! Thanks

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Why do people do this?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is a "hair tag"?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Any elk.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Switch
Why do people do this?

You mean join a group and ask questions about new area they don’t want to scout, just to disappear after some info?
I don’t know. Let’s see what the OP says

Last edited by Dre; 08/24/21.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
What is the 'approved Campfire protocol' for dealing with this situation? Help 'em? Ignore 'em? On Cast Boolits, for instance, the guys go out of their way to help newbies in casting and reloading.
I remember when I first posted a comment on here after a year or two of lurking, Deflave or somebody just savaged me, I got my little feelers hurt, and wondered what is this internet thing? I had never had anyone since boot camp in the '60's talk to me like that. I am kind of a country rube and friendly by nature and probably overly respectful of others that don't have Democrat bumper stickers, anyway, in regard to the way people treat others, it's a huge gap from internet anonymity to face to face.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
flintlocke,

Your first mistake was paying any attention to Deflave, he's a complete idiot, that loves to talk about his dick and how smart he is and how dumb everyone else is, smart and funny he is not. put anyone that's a AssS whole on ignore and get on with life forget them... there's a lot of good well informed people here on the fire that are more than willing to help you, and others. Rio7

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Rio, You are probably one of the real Texans of the breed that I fondly remember from my time in the army down there.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've had that tag several times, and hunted elk in that unit a bunch, you have already been given plenty of good info in this thread just hope for decent weather.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you...and just for everyone's information.. I have plans to scout!
Like I said I'm not after anybody's secret place just a general direction.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.