-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
I'm new to reloading and ran a max load of 59.3gn superperformance for a 30-06 Hornady 178 eld-x. The book says it should be 2750ft/s but my chronograph shows 2883ft/s. I don't see any pressure signs so is this still a safe load based on the velocity?

Last edited by Nathan_M; 08/25/21.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How long is your barrel?

N
OP Offline
N
22 inches. I'm shooting a savage ultralight with a hypertap muzzle brake

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I think you're OK.

Every rifle is a law unto itself. Some are fast, some are slow.

Also, data sources vary and data changes over time. Some data is mild (or becomes that way) in deference to older rifles. In the case of the 30-06, data publishers have to allow for the chance that a hot cartridge could blow up a low-numbered 1903 Springfield.

I checked Hodgdon's 30-06 data (https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=54) since they make Superformance powder. Their data shows about 125 fps faster than Hornady with 175- and 180-grain bullets over similar charges of Superformance.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
N
OP Offline
N
Great, that makes me more comfortable thank you

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think the velocity is your best indicator of safety / pressure. I don't know of any magical rule of physics that allows a rifle to produce more velocity with the same amount of pressure, all else being equal. The myth of "fast' and "slow" barrels operating at equal pressure is just that - myth. If the exact same load is shot in two different barrels of equal length, faster velocities are produced by more pressure. What varies is tolerance/tightness of chamber and bore, bore surface finish, and such. A fast barrel has a tight bore, short throat, or some other contributing factor.When comparing bullet of equal weight, but different manufacture, add in variations in hardness of the bullet, shape of the bullet, friction of jacket material, etc. Ballistics offers no free lunch.

Last edited by castnblast; 08/27/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nathan, Here's what I'd do. Take two case, load and shoot, load and shoot, etc. If you and get 6-10 shots and still have reasonably tight primer pockets I'd rock on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
castnblast, said "I don't know of any magical rule of physics that allows a rifle to produce more velocity with the same amount of pressure, all else being equal. "

You may want to qualify that statement. to discriminate between peak pressure and the energy under the pressure curve.
I agree that velocity is a good indicator of pressure, but to really know, it helps to measure and plot the pressure curve over the entire shot.
In my experience you will see many instances where the same velocity will be generated by different maximum chamber pressures.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

In my 270 win Vanguard S2 using 140gr Accubonds I got 3040FPS using Superformance. It was also very accurate. I,m tryingto use it in 7mm-08 with 140gr bullets.

I did a ladder test last week and got over 2900FPS with 3 loads. Loads were getting pretty hot.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by crshelton
castnblast, said "I don't know of any magical rule of physics that allows a rifle to produce more velocity with the same amount of pressure, all else being equal. "

You may want to qualify that statement. to discriminate between peak pressure and the energy under the pressure curve.
I agree that velocity is a good indicator of pressure, but to really know, it helps to measure and plot the pressure curve over the entire shot.
In my experience you will see many instances where the same velocity will be generated by different maximum chamber pressures.

crshelton. You are correct of course. my comment was meant to compare the SAME components used in different rifles. Some powders DO allow the same or lower peak pressure with higher velocity, something most of us aspire to achieve in our loads. But with the exact same components, pressure = velocity. Can't see how it could be different.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,422
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.