-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think AJ300Mag's advice along with MikeS' chamber dims are pointing you in a great direction. I'll throw in my two cents as well. In practice, I was looking for good feedback. Ball Ammo never could give me that. If your shooting matters (doesn't matter if it's just practice)...ditch the ball ammo instead of scratching your head wondering "was the me, the rifle, or the ammo?". At the least, do as you've floated; make some Mexican Match out of the ball ie, pull the heads and cap it with something that you know will group good. I've shot good ball ammo, and I've rung steel at 1000 yards with a "good" lot of Pakistani ball out of a 40x. It still doesn't compare to your basic Match Kings.

Story; in the day where the Palma Match host provided ammo to all teams, the host Brits provided what was supposed to be a great shooting lot of RG (Radway Green ball). The team shooters said it was barely passable, and subsequent to that, the US hosted and provided ammo loaded by Bob Jensen on a roomful of Dillon Progressives topped the then new 155gr Sierra. Even though it was progressively with thrown charges, it was head and shoulders better than the RG and was known as the best Palma ammo issued at that point in time. You have the opportunity to do even better by tailoring your load to a single rifle.

Last hint. Set up your wager so that you have to shoot multiple groups and average them. That will tip the scale in your favor. Many an M1A will shoot a good group or two...but they struggle to shoot multiple good groups sequentially. Too many moving parts on that rifle. ..but of course make sure your rifle is up to that task as well.

Last edited by ChrisF; 09/05/21.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
308 Obermyer

Works for me

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by ChrisF

Last hint. Set up your wager so that you have to shoot multiple groups and average them. That will tip the scale in your favor. Many an M1A will shoot a good group or two...but they struggle to shoot multiple good groups sequentially. Too many moving parts on that rifle. ..but of course make sure your rifle is up to that task as well.
He may be in trouble if the other shooter is an XTC shooter and wants to shoot from position.

Last edited by UPhiker; 10/23/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How come no one's cheering for the M1A?

Go Brandon, er, I mean Garand!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He may be in trouble if the other shooter is an XTC shooter and wants to shoot from position.

I'd still take that bet. It takes a pretty special M1A to hold 10 shot MOA, and an ever more special XC shooter to hold MOA consistently. I can't even remember when I've been beat by an M1A. Even Nez will tell you he's struggling to match his AR scores with his super M1A.

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by ChrisF

I'd still take that bet. It takes a pretty special M1A to hold 10 shot MOA, and an ever more special XC shooter to hold MOA consistently. I can't even remember when I've been beat by an M1A. Even Nez will tell you he's struggling to match his AR scores with his super M1A.
What you can do and what the OP can do are two different things. I also meant that they would both shoot from position.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lol...I believe you overestimate my abilities. The point was that for out and out accuracy, the M14 has it's challenges (and I'm saying this as one with a soft spot for the old steel and walnut bronco). We can tip the scales every which ways with conditions...hell, I think the OP is Carl B in disguise just messing with everyone. In which case that would probably trump your XC M14 Prone shooter.

The reality is that the OP has left the building. I was waiting for him to ask which smith would warm over his M700, but that question never came, and thoughts of this "what if" are probably long gone from his consciousness.

Last edited by ChrisF; 11/02/21.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
He spends most of his time up in the Campfire forum, if that tells you anything...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.