24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You don't run from wind. You run from water. Unfortunately, the wrong people do, and don't, evacuate. It is especially bad in areas that haven't had a bad storm for many years and are populated by inexperienced people.

When one finally hits Houston, it is going to be a CF of epic preportions.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JDK
My youngest is on a tug in the Mississippi River now, just below Néw Orleans. They were in Port Fourchon last night. My wife is climbing the walls already

Sounds like they're heading as far up the Mississippi as they can. They'll be fine because that boat should float really well. Just show her the video of that tug going under a bridge with the river at flood stage several years ago in either Mississippi or Alabama.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
You don't run from wind. You run from water. Unfortunately, the wrong people do, and don't, evacuate. It is especially bad in areas that haven't had a bad storm for many years and are populated by inexperienced people.

Well there was Harvey 4 years ago.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

Harvey hit just north of here in Rockport and Port A, they just got the rain up there.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Harvey hit just north of here in Rockport and Port A, they just got the rain up there.

Correct. With all the trees and ancient infrastructure, Houston is going to be a nightmare.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ida make landfall yet?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yes, and Harvey was about the maximum possible hurricane property damage for Houston due to geography. Most of the Houston area is over 40 miles inland with a bunch of trees to take energy out of the hurricane between Freeport/Galveston and the southern suburbs like Pearland.

Baytown, La Porte, and Channelview are a different story. If a hurricane came up through Galveston Bay virtually unobstructed, those areas and others on the east side would be in serious trouble. I don't remember seeing any hurricane paths where one abruptly turned 90 degrees immediately when it got to shore - that very unlikely 90 degree turn into downtown Houston after threading the needle up Galveston Bay would be the only way for more property damage than Harvey brought.

The damage Beeville and Three Rivers got from Harvey would be a good indicator of the damage of a typical "direct hit" on the Houston area. In SE TX, Silsbee and Evadale are situated similarly to the coast as most of the Houston area is.

I was in Houston for both Ike and Harvey and saw firsthand how much energy Ike lost between the coast and I-10, and it was still. hurricane force when the eye went over my head. That energy dissipates quickly unless you have only grass between the shore and you (e.g., Lake Charles).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by hanco
Better hunker down!!!

I'll make my final decision in the morning. Hunker down or haul ass.

Paul, we expect pictures of you wearing your helmet and spandex riding into the face of this storm.

Nut up stud !

LOL

🦫

PS

Wishing all of you in LA safety and a big nothing burger tomorrow.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yes, and Harvey was about the maximum possible hurricane property damage for Houston due to geography. Most of the Houston area is over 40 miles inland with a bunch of trees to take energy out of the hurricane between Freeport/Galveston and the southern suburbs like Pearland.

Baytown, La Porte, and Channelview are a different story. If a hurricane came up through Galveston Bay virtually unobstructed, those areas and others on the east side would be in serious trouble. I don't remember seeing any hurricane paths where one abruptly turned 90 degrees immediately when it got to shore - that very unlikely 90 degree turn into downtown Houston after threading the needle up Galveston Bay would be the only way for more property damage than Harvey brought.

The damage Beeville and Three Rivers got from Harvey would be a good indicator of the damage of a typical "direct hit" on the Houston area. In SE TX, Silsbee and Evadale are situated similarly to the coast as most of the Houston area is.

I was in Houston for both Ike and Harvey and saw firsthand how much energy Ike lost between the coast and I-10, and it was still. hurricane force when the eye went over my head. That energy dissipates quickly unless you have only grass between the shore and you (e.g., Lake Charles).

Houston almost got it with Rita. Wind was still 117mph at Livingston, with is far inland from Houston.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
New Orleans Mayor just made an appearance saying that “there’s no time left to issue an emergency evacuation order”

The Amazing Latoya must have been on vacation the past few days.

At least Ray Ray Nagin told folks to gtfo and led the way two days earlier than his announcement.

Who in the fugk needs an emergency evacuation order to know there's a storm headed to Louisiana?

The democrats/sheeple.

Last edited by Oldman03; 08/28/21.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JDK
My youngest is on a tug in the Mississippi River now, just below Néw Orleans. They were in Port Fourchon last night. My wife is climbing the walls already

Sounds like they're heading as far up the Mississippi as they can. They'll be fine because that boat should float really well. Just show her the video of that tug going under a bridge with the river at flood stage several years ago in either Mississippi or Alabama.

Andrew was a Cat 1, when it got to St. Francisville, La., which is above Baton Rouge, and it sank a tug or two. The ferry operator saw the tugs go down and rescued the fellows. I dont remember if they found them all or not.

Hope they get out of harms way.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by JDK

Andrew was a Cat 1, when it got to St. Francisville, La., which is above Baton Rouge, and it sank a tug or two. The ferry operator saw the tugs go down and rescued the fellows. I dont remember if they found them all or not.

I believe it was Captain Bennett on the ferry.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The relatives in N.O. decided to ride it out there. Collectively, they have hundreds of years of experience figuring this stuff out. The decision was based on probable impact area and flood and power considerations. Many areas do not flood despite a lot of rainfall and many flooded after Katrina only because of a levee break, which has since been rectified by massive rebuilding and fortification of levees. The power grid in N.O. was totally rebuilt after Katrina, and it is better than most places. The subsurface drainage situation remains sketchy, because it was not rebuilt after Katrina because it was not the problem then. We shall see.

I know that my good friend in Baton Rouge remains very concerned.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
_
_B78_ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
_
No…. Cajuns have a wealth of knowledge. Transplants are dumb as hammers. And no cajun lives in New Orleans. Pretenders do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JDK

I never knew any of the ferry crew by name, but I was on it enough that I recognized them all.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JDK

I never knew any of the ferry crew by name, but I was on it enough that I recognized them all.

The new landing was named in his honor and for his service. The new landing will be greatly expanded to accommodate the now daily tour and cruise line boats that arrive there. Folks come from up and from down the river and typically return to their point of origin via tour busses which are a common daily sight up and down Hwy 61 and in town.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We evacuated. We are at the camp now. I have the camper lashed to the pole barn legs with industrial ratchet straps. We'll finish buttoning it up in the morning. Then head further east yet to my daughter's house. The camp should see 50-60 mph winds. Zeta hit it with more than that last year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JDK

The new landing was named in his honor and for his service. The new landing will be greatly expanded to accommodate the now daily tour and cruise line boats that arrive there. Folks come from up and from down the river and typically return to their point of origin via tour busses which are a common daily sight up and down Hwy 61 and in town.

All that has changed a lot, since I moved away in '08. They were still running the ferry back then and they had stopped the Miss. Queen and Delta Queen from running cruises. I've been across the new bridge a few times, but didn't know about the cruise's or tour busses. When the boats cruises were operating up and down the river, people use to walk from the landing, up the hill to town, to visit the shops and see the sights.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JDK

All that has changed a lot, since I moved away in '08. They were still running the ferry back then and they had stopped the Miss. Queen and Delta Queen from running cruises. I've been across the new bridge a few times, but didn't know about the cruise's or tour busses. When the boats cruises were operating up and down the river, people use to walk from the landing, up the hill to town, to visit the shops and see the sights.

The visitors are bused all over now. Town, shops, plantations, restaurants, etc.

It’s run the property values up quite noticeably here.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Morgan City now projected to be hit with 140-150 mph winds.

New Orleans projected with 15-18” of rainfall.

ETA:
Should bump up Oil prices a bit with many offshore operators shut in .

Last edited by Old_Toot; 08/28/21.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
245 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,656 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.