Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I need info on posting pics. Shot a nice antelope last week.

Pharm - I'll PM you my email if you want to email them to me and I'll be happy to post - can post on ifish also if you like
laugh

Email sent, thanks!

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here you go Pharm - Dandy buck!! Did you use your 7MM-08??

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Godogs - congrats that is a nice looking buck. And will be good eating for sure!!

If you don't mind sharing what bullet did you use?? I shot mine with a 120 BT out of my 7MM-08, and it did do a number on that antelope, a little more damage than I wanted since I really like eating antelopes:)

I shot him with my 1957 model 70, 270 Winchester. I even hate to say this because it will invariably turn into a giant pissing match, but I opened the door so to speak. I was shooting 140 grain VLD's. This model 70 is a particular rifle in that she only likes VLD's. Hates Noslers, Sierra's, TTSX's....despises them. VLD's? under a quarter inch at 100 yards 4 shot groups every time. For the statisticians, who, like me, don't place any validity on a statistical sample of one, I've shot over 50 head with this bullet. I have yet to have one drop right there....I have yet to have a single blood trail and I've lost two nice bucks from it blowing up on the shoulder (video'd). I'm sure the VLD crowd will try their best to flame me and I understand that.....that's how guys play here sometimes. Yet this rifle loves em so I keep giving them a chance.

He's dead. So the logical question to me will be "So how did it fail Mr. Bigshot?" My shot was 300-310 yards, icepicking the lungs. He ran, oh, about one hundred yards or so and did the little "circle and drop" thing with our son videoing it. He then got up and ran a few yards more and fell for good. When we got up to him he was still very much alive. The guide agreed with me that just a few seconds more and he'd be gone. Unfortunately that was not the case. I hate to see an animal suffer and my gun was back at the truck.....got to go back to the truck and finish the job. The guide grabbed his horns first and all hell broke loose. By that time I had gotten back with my rifle. We were looking at the buck saying "I'm not believing this....he's still kicking." I chamber a round and 2-3 minutes later he was still alive, with me then putting him down. I don't like that one bit....I should have immediately put him down but we were just not believing what we were seeing.

Some folks like VLD's and if you do, I'm your biggest fan. Sorry for being so wordy.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Godogs. Thanks for the honest write up. Interesting results with the VLD. I had great results with the 150VLD. Have you tried those in this rifle? I have been drilling out the tips of all Berger bullets to clean the tips of polishing media and leftover jacket material that is sometimes trapped in certain bullets.
Another bullet that might be worth a try just to see if your rifle likes them is the 124gr Hammer hunter.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
7mm-08, you bet!

Brother killed his with a 7mm-08 also!

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great bucks Pharm and Godogs. Congrats. FWIW, IME of about 15 head of game, 7mm Rem Mag, 169 VLDH, call me very unimpressed as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Godogs, thanks for the detailed post - much appreciated. Since I don't hand load I've only ever had a chance to shoot any VLD's a couple times, and so far none of my rifles like the factory stuff well enough to hunt it.

"Team 7MM-08"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Since we’re piling on the VLD, I have a story. I worked up a load for my nephew’s 7mm-08, 140 VLD-Hunting, great precision and close to 2900 fps at the muzzle. He shot a smallish Mule deer buck at around 325 yards right behind the shoulder. I was on a spotter so I saw the impact, excellent placement. The buck hunched up, swapped ends, and started trotting to the fenceline, beyond which we did not have permission to hunt.
Bam, another shot through the chest, this time on the opposite side. The buck kept going toward the fence and stopped. Probably didn’t have enough juice to jump, who knows, but shot #3 put him down.
Pencils. Lucky he wasn’t bigger.
A sample size of 1 tells you exactly nothing, but I never had Partitions talk back to me like that.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Nice goats guys,

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hope to add to this thread next month, got lucky and drew both doe antelope and mule deer tags, taking a Shiloh 44-77 Sharps and an original old school long range rig, pre-64 264 Win Mag with steel tubed Weaver 4-12x40 AO, it fires 160gr Woodleigh PP's at 3000 fps over RL-33.

Trump Won!
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Oregonmuley,

I I can email you a picture, I have another New Mexico buck to share.

Thanks

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'll send a PM

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Caleveras
Oregonmuley,

I I can email you a picture, I have another New Mexico buck to share.

Thanks

Here you go - beautiful buck!!

"Team 7MM-08"
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Thank you Sir!!!

I have to run off to work and can provide more details later. The bottom line was a DIY hunt on public land. It was a 1/2 mile stalk with the last 200 yards on hands and knees. I used a Sako 85 in 270 shooting Barnes 130 grn TTSX.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice work, gentlemen !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice antelope, guys! I love seeing the start of another season and September 1st - we are at least on the downhill side of hot weather!

I’m another one who doesn’t care for the Bergers for hunting. My experience with 3 animals (big MD buck and 2 hogs - 6.5mm 130 VLD-H) was less than impressive.

Looking forward to seeing more antelope!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Thanks again to Oregonmuley for posting the picture.

It was a great hunt in an area I have never set foot in. In a shout out to another thread, onXMaps was key. We spent two days scouting the area learning private vs. public parcels. The unit is a checkerboard of the two with a little BLM thrown in. I downloaded maps to use off-line, and the GPS in the phone worked surprisingly well. We were fortunate enough to run into a Game Warden while scouting and he confirmed our maps with his GPS unit.

We spotted a Very nice buck tending his does the first evening, but unfortunately that would be our only sighting of "The One". The next day we spotted other (mostly on private) groups and marked way points and confirmed glassing locations. Also, we noticed a number of bucks using a shallow valley running north-south about a mile from the main access road. The valley was mostly public/state land and contained only a few two-track roads with some large sections of open country. My guess was that few hunters would venture far from the road to hike into the valley.

Opening morning found us headed into the north end of the unit with the plan of working our way south into the valley. The area had received a lot of rain, and the grass was tall with mesquite and cactus patches making glassing a challenge. I spotted a group fairly early, and checking and double checking onX confirmed they were in about a 1 mile square of public land. But, they were moving.

Insert amateur hour on my part. I wanted to get into the group quickly before they moved onto private land so I headed out with my rifle, binos, phone and shooting sticks. I would pay for this later as I left my pack in the truck.

The next hour found me crouching, crawling and on hands and knees closing the distance. The cholla, mesquite and goat-head thorns were taking their toll on my hands, yes, my leather gloves were in my pack!

I closed the distance to 212 yards and then had to wait for the buck to clear the does for a shot. The only opportunity the buck presented was his neck, but I am confident in the rile and he dropped at the shot. My friend was watching from the truck and having more sense than me delivered my pack after I had finished dressing the buck.

Congratulations to the other successful hunters and best of luck for those who have hunts this coming fall.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice batch of antelope.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never shot any VLD 's but I'm smart enough to take advantage of others experience. Shot over 70 head of antelope, the only bullet that ever failed and penciled thru (icepicked) for me was the 120 gr Hornady hollow point in the 25-06. Maybe it would have performed as expected on a full size deer but I shot the rest up on p-dogs. I appreciate the bullet performance observations. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice bunch of Bucks. Antelope hunting is just plain FUN. I didn't draw a WY tag this year----hopefully next year. Bob

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.