Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great thread. Congrats to all! Keep the pics and stories coming

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mbrook
My buck from this past Saturday, Oct 2nd. Colorado.

Nice!!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Godogs57

I shot him with my 1957 model 70, 270 Winchester. I even hate to say this because it will invariably turn into a giant pissing match, but I opened the door so to speak. I was shooting 140 grain VLD's. This model 70 is a particular rifle in that she only likes VLD's. Hates Noslers, Sierra's, TTSX's....despises them. VLD's? under a quarter inch at 100 yards 4 shot groups every time. For the statisticians, who, like me, don't place any validity on a statistical sample of one, I've shot over 50 head with this bullet. I have yet to have one drop right there....I have yet to have a single blood trail and I've lost two nice bucks from it blowing up on the shoulder (video'd). I'm sure the VLD crowd will try their best to flame me and I understand that.....that's how guys play here sometimes. Yet this rifle loves em so I keep giving them a chance.

He's dead. So the logical question to me will be "So how did it fail Mr. Bigshot?" My shot was 300-310 yards, icepicking the lungs. He ran, oh, about one hundred yards or so and did the little "circle and drop" thing with our son videoing it. He then got up and ran a few yards more and fell for good. When we got up to him he was still very much alive. The guide agreed with me that just a few seconds more and he'd be gone. Unfortunately that was not the case. I hate to see an animal suffer and my gun was back at the truck.....got to go back to the truck and finish the job. The guide grabbed his horns first and all hell broke loose. By that time I had gotten back with my rifle. We were looking at the buck saying "I'm not believing this....he's still kicking." I chamber a round and 2-3 minutes later he was still alive, with me then putting him down. I don't like that one bit....I should have immediately put him down but we were just not believing what we were seeing.

Some folks like VLD's and if you do, I'm your biggest fan. Sorry for being so wordy.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You and I are on the same page with the bergers. 6.5mms, both 140 VLDs and 135 Classics. 15-20 different animals deer to elk sized and save one 600 yard elk and a 225 yard grizzly, I have yet to see "good" performance....just several "acceptable" and several more BAD.

I had an absolute shïtshow with a bull caribou 5 days ago involving 3 broadside chest shots. First at about 100 yards and two more at less than 50 yards. What a mess and I honestly felt bad watching the damn thing slowly die.

Several yrs ago saw what a vld out of a rum would do to a moose. No penetration blew up on impact we could see the moose innards coming out of the hole. It was ph ucking bad, it was a winter moose hunt bud hopped on with another bud on his sled got close enough and shot it in the head. After that day I never use a Berger for anything but target shooting. My bud hasn’t used them since either.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My buck from this past Saturday, Oct 2nd. Colorado. 280 Remington, 140 gr nosler solid base, roughly 275 yards.

That’s a dandy!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Several yrs ago saw what a vld out of a rum would do to a moose. No penetration blew up on impact we could see the moose innards coming out of the hole. It was ph ucking bad, it was a winter moose hunt bud hopped on with another bud on his sled got close enough and shot it in the head. After that day I never use a Berger for anything but target shooting. My bud hasn’t used them since either.

Easy there killer. Remember, this is the 'Fire and you can't have an opinion on a bullet until you see at least 9 more moose be put through that exact scenario.

Then, if your conclusion still isn't what some others have come to---you're doing it wrong.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My buck from this past Saturday, Oct 2nd. Colorado. 280 Remington, 140 gr nosler solid base, roughly 275 yards.

Nice goat. I love the shape of those horns. Classic!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Colorado. 108 Scenar...6.5 creed, 200 yards.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nice one dogcatcher - looks like its got the mass & cutters going on!! With Wyoming going hope to see more posts.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by 79S

Easy there killer. Remember, this is the 'Fire and you can't have an opinion on a bullet until you see at least 9 more moose be put through that exact scenario.

Then, if your conclusion still isn't what some others have come to---you're doing it wrong.

Oops my bad.. I better go buy those 130 Berger classic hunter and give them a whirl..

Last edited by 79S; 10/06/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Colorado antelope, 2 days ago- a fighter, with both horn tips broken off. Got him cut up and processed yesterday, ready for some great eating. 6.5 PRC, range 300 yds, Hornady ELD-X 143 gr. bullet.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That is a beautiful buck mbrook

Bighorn that goat has some mass.....

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
buddy Dan got a wide little guy. 7RM at 250 or so... Blue tongue?

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Still ain't seen the one I'd pull the trigger on this year.

Last edited by huntsman22; 10/07/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great buck, great pics Don. Congrats!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Filled my tag south of Casper Tuesday, rack wasn't spectacular, I shot him anyway. I'm more of a meat hunter I guess. My 82 year old hunting buddy took one Wednesday. It's been a good week.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I hunted does 3 weeks ago west of Casper. Not one doe on public. It was slim pickings. Hope your hunt was better.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Any reports from the Buffalo or Gillette area? Heard about blue tongue outbreaks near Gillette.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
last two hunters. Fireman/EMT bud on a doe tag and a 15 year old kid that missed the first 4 bucks I put him on....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and one for fun....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and one for fun....

That’s too cute.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Couldn’t pull an either sex tag this year but we had five freezer tags so we made our annual trek to eastern Montana. May do a full write up on the hunt if I get a few minutes…

My 12 year old daughters first goat. One and done at about 150 yards with an 85 TSX through the heart…

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Too muddy to drive…

Mama’s goat. One 95 LRX at about 200…

Older kids sent off to do it on their own…

The results…

A nice double.

Finally the old man got one slowed down…

Pretty spendy meat pole…

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.