Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slavek
A 10mm isn't powerful enough to stop large brown bear especially when the bear is angry. Best assume fetal position and pray. The HPG is kind of expensive way to carry first aid kit. Glock 20 needs one of them hip or thigh holsters commandos use for CQB.

Every time I think you couldn't possibly be dumber, well, you "rise to the occasion" and prove that, yes, you could.....

BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Check the link to the article Slav.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by NH K9
EE.....
That's one version. I went with the Runner's Kitbag, but it got mounted to one of their Tarahumara packs. It's my woods bumming rig.

I'm going to grab another, but this time it'll be a recon.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/5

your description of wood bumming, I feel is vastly different than most here, lol

Last edited by gitem_12; 08/30/21.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sagebrush, how does your 10mm ammo compare to your 45 acp in penetration and wound channels?

Maybe I missed it.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't know about wound channels but it is hard to catch either.

The .45 250 grain +P went through (off the top of my head) about three feet of ballistic gel if I recall correctly.

JWP475 shot them into gel blocks for me a while back. I would have to search for the info. Guys reporting back have been dropping game with both and getting complete penetration.

Like anything, if you place them in the right spot, you get good results. If you don't get them in the right spot, then you can get some unfavorable results. I have seen handgun rounds (from various cartridges) glance off skulls of animals due to guys wanting to take frontal shots on them, versus the ear hole to eye hole path which is what I recommend and use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mac, experiences with your .357 170 gr. load?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by MOGC

I believe someone said the Colt cylinders are too short.. take a hasp to them, a few strokes eh.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking

I believe someone said the Colt cylinders are too short.. take a hasp to them, a few strokes eh.

Not what I'm asking and since I shoot S&W revolvers not applicable to me. What I am asking is about results on game shot with his 170 gr. SWC hardcast .357 Magnum load. I thought perhaps someone has shot a deer, antelope, hog or two with the load and how effective that it was in terminal performance.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not Mac but they fit my GP100 and are very accurate. I haven’t been able to shoot anything except paper though.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
MOGC,

I have had some feed back (all positive) but I cannot remember the animal types. The projectile used in that load is one that Elmer Keith designed prior to the invention of the .357 Magnum. He was using it in various guns, to include the S&W Heavy Duty revolvers. It has been used for a very long time and has a long track record of performance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Mac. I'm waiting for a chance to push that through the shoulder of a decent size hog.
I'll let you know the outcome of that. I need to make a commitment to packing a .357 more often. Nowadays I tend to have a 10mm or .45 ACP with me and my .357's and .41 see less woods time. I should fix that I guess.

Last edited by MOGC; 03/29/23.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by viking
Oh I don’t know, maybe having a loaded Glock 10mm next to my chest isn’t that appealing. The MIC holster is just a little added safety measure for me. By all means go with out.
If the holster is anchored solidly to the bag and the draw side is left open, then it might act like a chest rig.

If the holster is loose and the bag is zipped, you won't be getting that G20 deployed very quickly.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks Mac. I'm waiting for a chance to push that through the shoulder of a decent size hog.
I'll let you know the outcome of that. I need to make a commitment to packing a .357 more often. Nowadays I tend to have a 10mm or .45 ACP with me and my .357's and .41 see less woods time. I should fix that I guess.

It really is all what you are most comfortable with as far as I am concerned. I often carry a big bore revolver for hunting, but switch to the semi auto for when I am in big critter country and hiking, as I know I can put more rounds on target in a shorter amount of time with the semi.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This is why I utilize the method that I do. I run a pouch on the outside for the handgun, and have added a short bungee with a carabiner that attaches to a belt loop or belt to secure the bottom of the kit bag.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When I am doing things that I need extra retention I can just put the flap over the grip of the handgun.

Then when I am close to civilization/people where I don't want anyone to see the firearm, I can simply put it in the main zippered compartment.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
148 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 673, 18 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.