Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Having just bought a cheaper one, wish I had perhaps spent more money. Field and Stream (Chinese, but aren't most?) Advertised as an 18 long gun safe, fireproof for 45 minutes, and waterproof to two feet. No way it will hold 18 unless they are miniatures.. Perhaps 12 to 14 really crammed in. Be aware that what they say they can hold is wildly optimistic at best.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I looked and compared a lot of brands of gun safes. The thickness is key. I do noit mean just the front door as some have. I am talking sides and top. The tops are usually chopped with ax by standing on top. You can not chop 3/16 or thicker. I seen many pics where the whole top was opened like a can opener. The fire protection is mainly for char factor for paper. I ended up going with Armour Vault with 1/4 inch thick and no fire protection. I was told your guns can not withstand a house fire and still be good. My son bought a Liberty and he is very happy with it. There are a lot of brands, just do your homework. Buy what is best for you. I went and picked mine up at manufactures business. It was going to cost $350.00 to ship. I could drive and get it for $60.00.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most all safe add have somewhere in the small print. **depending on optics/accessories and types of firearms..... as far as what they hold.

Maybe hole 45 short, single barreled shotguns but not AR's and Scoped bolt guns

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sturdy Safe is the most for the least.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IIRC there was a form insurance investigator (for lack of the proper title) that posted on a similar topic. He stated in over 50+ house fires with firearms he stated he hadn't seen any that weren't nearly a complete loss (see Idaho Shooter's post). Based largely on that, I'm likely going to just go with a lockable cabinet.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a fairly large 1250lb empty weight safe. Local guy builds them. I've moved it once and if I had to do it all again I'd go Jim C's route.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
IIRC there was a form insurance investigator (for lack of the proper title) that posted on a similar topic. He stated in over 50+ house fires with firearms he stated he hadn't seen any that weren't nearly a complete loss (see Idaho Shooter's post). Based largely on that, I'm likely going to just go with a lockable cabinet.

Between the fire and the safe likely winding up face down in the basement after falling through the floor and then soaked in water used to put out the fire I can’t imagine many if any guns being salvageable especially not blued long guns with optics. I like to buy American made products for anything over a few hundred bucks. A decent preferably US made safe that keeps kids and smash and grab thieves out and an insurance policy to cover fire is the best peace of mind.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What ever size you think you will need, get the next size up. Becareful of the cheaper ones. Like others have mentioned you get what you pay for.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by andymick32
Any recommendations on the best bang for your buck gun safes? Looking at 24-36 capacity

Just buy plenty of insurance and a cheap one as none are truly fire or burglar proof. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I’m a locksmith and open plenty I’d go Amsec or liberty presidential trust me get the dial

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My experience is that they can’t hold but half the long arms they advertise without being jammed together and difficult to get from the back row without removing three others.

I agree with getting twice the capacity you think you need. And if you are young and expect to grow the armory, get bigger yet.

There’s a big selection of arms now in Afghanistan that are not in safes and apparently free for the taking. There are however a couple of difficulties.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

My experience is that they can’t hold but half the long arms they advertise without being jammed together and difficult to get from the back row without removing three others.

I agree with getting twice the capacity you think you need. And if you are young and expect to grow the armory, get bigger yet.

There’s a big selection of arms now in Afghanistan that are not in safes and apparently free for the taking. There are however a couple of difficulties.
That's about right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had an AMSEC 36 long gun safe. And it held 36 scoped rifles but you had to place them just right, and I never sustained any safe dings at all. I didn’t waste my money on ‘fireproofing’...I wanted the money I had to spend to go to the best ‘burglar proof’ safe that my money would buy. I was very happy with it. I had it for 20 years.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fort Knox.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a liberty fatboy jr. a couple months ago. It was kind a “had to” to keep kids away from guns. I like it, it is a nice layout. I hate the electronic lock. It is nice, but I think all Gun safes are kind of overrated in terms of theft and fire protection. I’d kind of prefer to have a secure room with a good steel door.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sturdy.

American made by good folks in CA.

Toured the facility with the owner a few years back.

A fine gentleman making a solid product.

I prefer 72" tall lockers ..more space up top for pistolas....and wider= better.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Cheap gunsafe. Put a couple of Savage Axis rifles and an 870 in it.

Hide the good stuff behind a false wall different part of the house.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bolt it to the floor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a tall one.

Seriously.

Your shelf has that slot for a couple long guns.
PITA to use, and only a couple fit.
And you will find you have more long guns than you think.

Most pump or semi shotguns, any bolt with a 26" barrel, muzzle loaders...
Buddy told me this.
Didn't listen. "I don't have many that long,"
Got my safe, he was right.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most 'safes' arent. They are classed only as '"securable cabinets ''usually having only a 1/4"or less steel in walls and/or door. They are quick work for a disc cutter and many also susceptible to door flipping( pry attacks). Some brands can be pried open with screw driver, others can be virtually pry proof, but generally the fact is the metal thickness is what it is and for a determined burglar with portable powertools they are always going to be quick work. Id choose something economical with some sort of reputation for anti-prying at least.

Real secure options if you want them are ''real safes" as used by commercial companies, banks, supermarkets etc for cash holdings. They range from 1/2" steel walls to dual skin walls and concrete mix, up to bank level safes with walls several inches thick.Weight varies from a few hundred pounds to a couple of tons. Very expensive new, they can be found real cheap on the used market, particularly if a bank branch or store is closing down. Some will even give the safe away free if you pay to remove it. Large locksmith or safe selling companies will often have used refurbed units on the floor for sale at a fraction the price of new ones. Obviously check the weight before you buy to ensure what you can move and place in the home. Manouvering large safes on a solid floor can be done rolling them into position on broomsticks or metal pipe sections pretty easily.

For any safe, particularly lightweight fake gunsafes a few suggestions are
1. back them up with alarms or home security system
2. Hide or disguise them once in place. especially gunsafes with the gimmick spoke handles. Vauilt spoke handles are only needed for vault doors where the bolt work weighs hundreds of piounds. On a security cabinet they are nothing more than a sales gimmick and advertisement for theives. Cut them off or in some cases they can be unscrewed leaving a basic hub or knob .
3. Place safes in a corner of the room so walls protect two sides of the safe, with the door opening away from the nearest wall. This is as flipping the door( prying it open) requires levering it the other way and it cant be done as easily with a wall right next to it
4. bolt it down, even heavy safes get stolen. Also flip attacks are easier if the burglar can topple the safe and pry it standing over it
5. Use other furniture in the room to further limit access to the safe. Bolt any other cabinets, beer fridge, applicable sofa next to it
6. Add internal racks and chains to firearms inside if you want. A burglar who cuts a handhole in a door or wall of the safe to withdraw contents may have to enlarge the hole to get tools inside to deal with the second layer of defence.
7. Dont store power tools near the safe or lock them out of sight too, opportunistic theives may use what is easily at hand
8. Dont brag about your safe or show it to your buddies. Word spreads easily. The wrong person at a diner or work overhears you have a fancy glossy safe , you may get a visit one night. Three of the highest security grade safes ever made, the Wormald 8000, Chubb Isolator and TRTL 60x6's which need expert teams and heavy machinery to crack can still be opened quickly if the owner has a gun pointed at his head smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (02bfishn, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,471
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.