Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Wow! I think the most I've ever paid for a set of new dies would be less than $40.

I think even the RCBS 9mm carbide die set was north of $80. I considered that a great thing. I had been searching since March for 9mm dies.

I use a Lee Factory Crimp die for my 41 magnum revolvers. And I have a few other Lee products in the loading room. But I just can not force myself to buy Lee sizing dies, seating dies, bullet molds, powder scales or measure.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Max load of AA-9 works great with the 180 & 200 gr XTP in the 10mm on hogs.

I don't know 'bout the "on hogs" part (we don't have any) but in my Blackhawk #9 works very well with both bullets.

Eventually I'm going to get around to trying the 135 grain Nosler and 155 grain Hornady for coyotes or the like. For shooting cast I switch to the .38-40 cylinder and, though I like IMR 4227, my gun seems more accurate with a slightly excessive load of 2400. So far. Got s' more 200 grainers sized to .402 coming from Beartooth .. eventually.

One thing I've noticed ... with the 10mm and middle/heavy bullets, I've lost the need for pushing the .357 mag hard except with light varmint bullets. Anything I need to lean on the .357 to do, the 10mm just does easy.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMR book load:
7.8 gr 800X, 1130 fps, 32500 psi, 5"barrel, Rem case, Rem 2 1/5 pri, 200 gr XTP, 1.250"

My G20 load work up:
200 gr BB FP .658" long bullet, WLP, Bar Sto aftermarket barrel with better case support, 14.2 gr 800X made a small case bulge, stop, which is 82% over

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
i have been spending a lot of time in Grizzly country this year, as well as taking note that there has been an increase in people wanting ammo for the 10mm specifically for outdoors use/predator protection, so I loaded up some hard cast 200 grain truncated cone flat points at 1150. It seems to be the "sweet spot" as far as accuracy and controllability, recoil wise goes in the Glock.

Nice load. Tempted to pop a couple deer with it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is pretty hard to beat the practicality of the Glock for a trail gun. As much as I love my .44s, the G20/21 is pretty darn sweet to carry, as are the compact versions.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is that a Model 21 converted to 10 MM? Details about the adjustable sights?

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

You can drop a Model 20 conversion barrel in a Model 21.

Nothing to it.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/27/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Nothing to it.

OK IIRC that does not work in reverse though. Model 20 to 21?

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Nothing to it.

Not sure. The one I did was a Model 21 I added a Model 20 10mm conversion barrel too. Glock told me everything else was the same, when I asked if it was doable.
I had no problems whatsoever.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
i have been spending a lot of time in Grizzly country this year, as well as taking note that there has been an increase in people wanting ammo for the 10mm specifically for outdoors use/predator protection, so I loaded up some hard cast 200 grain truncated cone flat points at 1150. It seems to be the "sweet spot" as far as accuracy and controllability, recoil wise goes in the Glock.

It is pretty hard to beat the practicality of the Glock for a trail gun. As much as I love my .44s, the G20/21 is pretty darn sweet to carry, as are the compact versions.

The Glock 20 is my favorite handgun, it's hard to argue with 16 rounds of 10mm for the weight. Mine is quite accurate too

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter97

The Glock 20 is my favorite handgun, it's hard to argue with 16 rounds of 10mm for the weight. Mine is quite accurate too

Yep. Was always my favorite carry gun when I used to bow hunt in bear country in the lower 48.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

What powder is used in this load ? Very nice group

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nothing to it.

IIRC the .45 barrel will not fit in the 10mm slide. A G21 slide and barrel will fit on the G20 frame but at that point might as well have a complete G21 pistol.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Yes, It is a G21 .45 with a 10mm barrel. The rear sight is an LPA from Italy, the front is a Dawson fiber optic. I have used the LPA for a long time, and though normally not a fan of higher profile adjustable sights, it has held up through the years. The sight picture is nice and adjustments are positive.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Those look a lot like the ones I loaded this morning. 100 of the Hunters 200 gr cast TC over 8.5 gr Longshot. I also loaded 100 180 gr XTP over the same charge.

These are for the Kimber 1911. I am anxious to get to the range with them and see how they run. I sure miss the steel plates and target stands outside the front door.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Love the cartridge and Dan Wesson 1911 platform, i use Longshot under:

140gr Lehigh Penetrators, 1550 fps.
200gr XTP's, 1200 fps.
200gr NOE hard cast hi-tek coated with .0.300" meplat and 22 BHN alloy, 1250 fps.

No handgunner by far, but those three should take care of about anything, bonus is all three bullets land within the group at 20 yards,

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Glock G20 and G21 barrels will swap easily .... I own both ( gen 3's ) and are interchangeable .

I also have a G40 long slide and the gen 4 barrels will fit a gen 3 slide but not the other way around due to the re-designed dual rate springs found on the gen 4's ..

Last edited by bulkie_roll; 08/30/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Also , try using the Hornady 180 grain HAP bullets for hogs / black bears .... A little extra penetration from that hollow point design .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bulkie_roll
G20 and G21 barrels will swap easily .... I own both ( gen 3's ) and are interchangeable .

I also have a G40 long slide and the gen 4 barrels will fit a gen 3 slide but not the other way around due to the re-designed dual rate springs found on the gen 4's ..

Will a G21 barrel swap into a G20 slide? I don't think it does.

Last edited by MOGC; 08/30/21.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by bulkie_roll
G20 and G21 barrels will swap easily .... I own both ( gen 3's ) and are interchangeable .

Will a G21 barrel swap into a G20 slide? I don't think it does.

Will not. Wish it did, but alas ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well I don’t know if the question of the best 10mm bullet has been definitively answered but the question of which one I’ll use has. One of our members made me a deal I couldn’t refuse on a Lyman mold for a 200gr flat nose. I’m sure it’ll work fine and once I find a sizer for my luber I’ll make it a point to find out how they work on pigs.

If I had to guess I’d say it’ll probably be a little better than the SWC I usually use in 38/357s, about the same as the SWC I use in 45 autos, and not quite as good as the SWC I use in 44 special and magnums. For the intended quarry I’m sure it’ll be great.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
777 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 88 invisible), 3,080 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.