-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your friend is running a 139SST hot at around3,200FPS, he is going to be 23 MOA low if he has a 300 yard zero, .he is going to have to dial up 21MOA for 1,000 yard shot . THAT is with zero angle - flat shot, not adjustment for spin drift, wind,, or anything else.
That 139 is going to be only moving about 1,500FPS as well, with a time of flight that is over a full second.
The reason I picked the SST for the example is I have two very accomplished elk hunter friends who use this bullet for long range stuff, but there are many others that use Bergers, Lapuas, etc.
I meet people like your friend every day at our range, and it is a bit disturbing that they think they can make shots like that,
They rarely get onto our 1,000 meter line once people see them shoot at 500 meters however, but they go away with the same attitude " if the APP on my phone gives me the dial up I need I can do it"
No amount of speaking to them with fact wills change their mind.
Personally speaking for long range kills I would be shooting something a lot bigger with a brake on it so I could handle the recoil.
However, I no longer can make reliable long range kills at those distances, soo I don't attempt it.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by catnthehat
If your friend is running a 139SST hot at around3,200FPS, he is going to be 23 MOA low if he has a 300 yard zero, .he is going to have to dial up 21MOA for 1,000 yard shot . THAT is with zero angle - flat shot, not adjustment for spin drift, wind,, or anything else.
That 139 is going to be only moving about 1,500FPS as well, with a time of flight that is over a full second.
The reason I picked the SST for the example is I have two very accomplished elk hunter friends who use this bullet for long range stuff, but there are many others that use Bergers, Lapuas, etc.
I meet people like your friend every day at our range, and it is a bit disturbing that they think they can make shots like that,
They rarely get onto our 1,000 meter line once people see them shoot at 500 meters however, but they go away with the same attitude " if the APP on my phone gives me the dial up I need I can do it"
Personally speaking for long range kills I would be shooting something a lot bigger with a brake on it so I could handle the recoil.
However, I no longer can make reliable long range kills at those distances, soo I don't attempt it.
Cat

I have no idea what loads he is shooting, or planning to shoot.

I have no idea what scope and mounts he has or is planning to buy for this rifle.

All I know is that he found someone to sell him a Savage 110 Ultralight in 280AI for a price he was willing to pay. He never got around to ask me to look for one for him and I never spend much time on his requests because he always wants full retail value for anything that he has to trade and wants to pay wholesale plus shipping and sales tax on anything that he buys. I don't mind breaking even on a trade, but I don't have any incentive to lose money on said trade.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Cat

I have no idea what scope and mounts he has or is planning to buy for this rifle.

All I know is that he found someone to sell him a Savage 110 Ultralight in 280AI for a price he was willing to pay. He never got around to ask me to look for one for him and I never spend much time on his requests because he always wants full retail value for anything that he has to trade and wants to pay wholesale plus shipping and sales tax on anything that he buys. I don't mind breaking even on a trade, but I don't have any incentive to lose money on said trade.

Well I wish your friend all the best , the Savage rifles shoot very well generally no matter how many people hate them !LOL
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If he does long range practice in actual field conditions, he may quickly realize and accept the feasibility of him shooting game at long range.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cat

Sheesh 260:

Sounds like more of a "taker" (in Waylon Jennings' words) than a true friend. I hope this person offers other plusses than just an ability to leverage a relationship to eke out a few bucks on a gun deal. Just my .02.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by RIO7

Investment in rounds down range, in all kinds of weather and wind, from any field position you can think of and using your pack or sticks or bi-pod, or any other support you can find, is the best investment you can make in long range shooting, it will teach you what your limitations are, no matter what you are shooting for a rifle, glass, and load. Rio7

I don't think that he will acknowledge any limitation in his shooting ability. If he sees an animal that he wants to tag, he'll take the shot regardless of trhe range, wind, or obsticles between the muzzle and the target. If the animal doesn't show any sign of being hit, he'll call it a clean miss and keep hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Long range shooting. Choosing an ultralight? Hmm. That, in my book takes one hell of a rifleman.

This. At least that’s true for me.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
A friend of mine has decided that he wants to be a long range shooter and wants me to order a Savage 110 Ultralight in either 6.5 PRC or 280AI for him. I suggest the Mauser M18 Savanna in 6.5 PRC as a less expensive alternative. His rifle budget is around $1,200.

I haven't shot either of these rifles and thought that I'd ask the experts what you think of these three choices or if you can offer a better solution within his budget.

I have a 25/06 post 64 if of interest in that price range.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Truthfully no one who plans 800 yd and longer shots on game is using an off the shelf rifle. There are many custom rifle makers that deliver rifles capable of those feats and most are in the $3.5K - $5K range. And that would be minus the glass, which at a minimum for a serious long range hunter will be in the $2K range. What I’m saying is someone who is hell bent on pursuing game at those ranges has worked their way up over years in the field and bench as a rifleman to understand what it takes in skill and commitment. The money spent at those levels is based on a serious commitment that has taken many years of deliberation to develop. From your own account your friend sounds like a dreamer who has read to many magazine articles. My advice with his new off the shelf purchase is to get closer to the game and see how proficient they are at 300 yds with a 20 mph crosswind. My guess is this person will become very uncomfortable shooting at that range under those conditions let alone doping wind at three times that distance.

I don't deliberately seek long shots , but am set up to make shots out to a grand, with confidence. I put together parts for my rifle and made adjustments along the way. I have about 1500.00 into it and Run just a SWFA 20x I got on discount. It will stay under .5 MOA to a grand for three shots if I do my part and some days I can't .Range time is important if it is spent learning from each shot and just not shooting for effect. The weather and wind calls are never a technology thing , but a learned thing as you stated. Nothing can buy that ,300 yds and a breeze can be cheated ,600 yds and beyond it can not. My economy set up is working , but there are days when I dream of a Large IOR Crusader or a March Genesis ,but they are just dreams.......

Last edited by wyoming260; 01/30/22.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.