Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
At the recent National Small Bore competition in PA, below is a survey of equipment used. I guess most of these guys didn't get the memo on Leupolds....

EQUIPMENT SURVEY LISTING - SMALLBORE HUNTING RIFLE SILHOUETTE

SCOPE MANUFACTURER
BSA 1
BURRIS 1
BUSHNELL 1
EAGLE EYE 0
MEOTPA 0
NIGHTFORCE 0
PREMIER 3
REDFIELD 1
NIKON 1
LEUPOLD 81
SIMMONS 0
SWAROVSKI 0
TASCO 1
VORTEX 3
OTHER 3
SIGHTRON 3
WEAVER 6

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
81 Leupolds used by 6 guys to get through the day (grins)

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Standard rifle (where rifle weight can be up to 10lb 2oz) is a similar story.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Teal

I use Leupolds, but that is still funny.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jorge1: Each year it is getting easier and easier to ignore the few Leupold naysayers that still exist - and are ignorant enough to keep spouting their drivel.
I mounted a Leupold scope this past Sunday (August 29th) on a Rifle I had just purchased - and as expected (and has happened with me for the last 56 (fifty six!) years of my using them - it performed perfectly!
Long live Leupold & Stevens - a fine American company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by diamondjim

Glad you took it as intended. A joke. Not some insult to 11 generations of your family, requiring a jihad and blood oath to avenge....

Me

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The only issue I have with them is they are HELL BENT on driving away traditional hunters/scope users. Otherwise, why do away with what was arguably two of their best? the 6X42 and 2.5X8X36? (and the B&C reticle)

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I hope they are not getting rid of the 2.5-8x36. That is one of my most used scopes.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, they did

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I hope they are not getting rid of the 2.5-8x36. That is one of my most used scopes.

Yep, it's gone. I have a couple in boxes still but agree it's my go-to scope for most hunting. I don't understand it either.

Leupold did have a prototype 6-20x42 there that should be decent but at least for silhouette I want a dot on the reticle and the custom shop just seems a big question mark.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by diamondjim

Glad you took it as intended. A joke. Not some insult to 11 generations of your family, requiring a jihad and blood oath to avenge....

It made me laugh too. However, Teal, I'll bet that not even you have the guts to post something similar in a caliber thread. You would almost need to enter the witness protection program.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How many were Tuckerized?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well, they did

No, they didn't (do away with the 2.5x8).
They added a CDS with zero lock but still offer the 2.5x8. The CDS is not my cup of tea but they're still offering a 2.5x8.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Notice what #2 is on both those lists????

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
At the recent National Small Bore competition in PA, below is a survey of equipment used. I guess most of these guys didn't get the memo on Leupolds....

EQUIPMENT SURVEY LISTING - SMALLBORE HUNTING RIFLE SILHOUETTE

SCOPE MANUFACTURER
BSA 1
BURRIS 1
BUSHNELL 1
EAGLE EYE 0
MEOTPA 0
NIGHTFORCE 0
PREMIER 3
REDFIELD 1
NIKON 1
LEUPOLD 81
SIMMONS 0
SWAROVSKI 0
TASCO 1
VORTEX 3
OTHER 3
SIGHTRON 3
WEAVER 6

Shooting low recoil rimfires at 100 yards or less....
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Notice what #2 is on both those lists????

Too bad we can't get them anymore.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Me too, but as Jorge says, they aren't making them anymore. Too bad!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dave7mm
[quote=jorgeI]At the recent National Small Bore competition in PA, below is a survey of equipment used. I guess most of these guys didn't get the memo on Leupolds....

dave

Although I don't have the list, you will find 90% plus of the centerfire silhouette shooters shooting out 500 meters are using Leupold too.

The fact that we're shooting smallbore at 100 meters and less is immaterial in the often repeated fable that Leupold repeatable adjustments suck. Every match requires at least 4 major adjustments to shoot the various animals (for my rifle/scope/ammo it's from 0 on chickens to 11.5 on rams) plus an occasional mid-relay tweak for wind. In a season most of use will shoot 4-5K rounds. That's a lot of adjusting. If they didn't work you wouldn't see that much bias towards Leupold. .

But then, well, it's just facts, not hyperbole so worth nothing to the CF Optics section.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by dave7mm
[quote=jorgeI]At the recent National Small Bore competition in PA, below is a survey of equipment used. I guess most of these guys didn't get the memo on Leupolds....

dave

Although I don't have the list, you will find 90% plus of the centerfire silhouette shooters shooting out 500 meters are using Leupold too.

The fact that we're shooting smallbore at 100 meters and less is immaterial in the often repeated fable that Leupold repeatable adjustments suck. Every match requires at least 4 major adjustments to shoot the various animals (for my rifle/scope/ammo it's from 0 on chickens to 11.5 on rams) plus an occasional mid-relay tweak for wind. In a season most of use will shoot 4-5K rounds. That's a lot of adjusting. If they didn't work you wouldn't see that much bias towards Leupold. .

But then, well, it's just facts, not hyperbole so worth nothing to the CF Optics section.

Having shot smallbore and high-power silhouette for a lot of years I can verify this. Leupold offers the best combination of good optics, tracking, and light weight which is very important because of weight limits on equipment.

It is becoming more prevalant for silhouette competitors to build one rifle which can meet specs for competing in both Hunter and High-power class using the same rifle. So the scope ends up being adjusted a lot during the course of the day, it will be adjusted up and down in fairly large steps and during the course of the match for minor corrections depending on headwind/tailwind, crosswind, etc.

I would hazard a guess that during a week-end match the scope gets adjusted more than the average shooter adjusts one in a year and if it is a Regional or National match then the amount of adjusting goes up proportionally. All in all they hold up very well or people who spend $1000's or dollars to compete every year would not be using them.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how many they go through before they find one that operates as it should?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 45 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,593
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.