Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own 1 Remington 700 SS varmint fluted barrel ,Winchester pre64 , 2 - Ruger # 1`s and 1 Ruger #1 custom 7 1/2 twist Brux barrel all 220 Swifts i have a hard time not to keep my Swift rifles . the only 220 Swift i use i carry in my truck all year long the custom Ruger #1 Brux barrel 7 1/2 twist 220 Swift ,works great in and out of my truck with grin . when i P.D. hunt i just use 223/556`s , 204 Ruger`s or my 22 Hornets. my 220 Swift or the 22 Hornet take care of Varmints all sizes !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Ben Lurkin: Every one of my heavy barrel 204's shot the Hornady 32 grain factory ammo really well!
I had to buy that ammo when the cartridge was new and had a stash of it for sighting in/testing the following 204's that I purchased.
And I have a Varmint Hunting friend who does NOT reload and he brings me a few boxes of factory Hornady 204 ammo every year - I fire form it in whichever 204 needs more brass and again can attest to its inherent accuracy in all my guns.
Thank you for reminding me about my relatively new heavy barrel Ruger 77/17 Hornet it is also shooting the Hornady factory 17 Hornet ammo into surprisingly good groupings - plenty of Ground Squirrels and one Badger from this season can attest to that also.
And you have to get that 220 Swift 40X at least sighted/dialed in - you never know when a Coyote or Badger is going to pop-up.
Either that or I will jump on I-15 and drive on down and buy it from you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Well come on down. I don’t know about buying the Swift but I’ll let you buy lunch 😃

Yours in Liberty,

BL
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ben Lurkin: Thank you for the invite and offer - it is appreciated.
Only Hunted Utah a couple times (once for Mule Deer and once for Prairie Dogs) but I just love the place.
The VarmintWife and I did a full week long guided tour of southern (middle?) Utah's "Big Five" National Parks early this spring and we were blown away by the beauty and expanse of Utah.
We were so impressed that instead of taking the guided Utah tour in the luxury Mercedes vans, next year, we are going to drive ourselves and spend two weeks thereabouts.
Long live Utah.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ben Lurkin: Thank you for the invite and offer - it is appreciated.
Only Hunted Utah a couple times (once for Mule Deer and once for Prairie Dogs) but I just love the place.
The VarmintWife and I did a full week long guided tour of southern (middle?) Utah's "Big Five" National Parks early this spring and we were blown away by the beauty and expanse of Utah.
We were so impressed that instead of taking the guided Utah tour in the luxury Mercedes vans, next year, we are going to drive ourselves and spend two weeks thereabouts.
Long live Utah.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Beautiful area. I lived in So Utah for a while as a kid and worked on the grandparents farm down there as a teen. Great place but like many places; it’s being overrun by Californiacators.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Swifty52: Yes that grouping with those handloads in that caliber "qualifies" (for what I don't know?) but I am still impressed with the Hornady factory ammunition!
And yes I paid $31.00 (no sales tax in Montana) per box of twenty rounds for that ammo - so your estimate is just a tad low (actually $1.55 per round/shot).
Would love to hear about the particulars on the bullet/loading/Rifle that made that super grouping for you.
Enjoy that rig.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Load 44 grains AA2700, Norma brass, 52 SMK , Federal GMM primer, Nikon Monarch 6.5x20x44 fine plex target scope, velocity 3900+. Cooper Model 22 Montana Varminter

Last edited by Swifty52; 08/28/21.

Swifty
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Swifty52: Thank you very much for getting back to me.
One of my Swifts shoots the Norma brass - I like that brass.
Thanks for the load information/suggestion.
Earlier this year I bought my first Cooper Rifle after years of coveting them!
It is a Model 21 MT-Varmint in caliber 223 Remington - and it shoots splendidly.
Enjoy your Swift.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I will second the Norma brass for the 220 Swift, much better than Winchester and Hornady brass.

was shocked when I went into my LGS a month ago and they had a box of 100 Norma brass for cheap, they have never stocked it before and probably wont again. couldn't pass it up

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Boatanchor: That indeed was a lucky day for you.
Reminds me of a lucky find I came across about 25 years ago.
I was driving south on Pacific Highway from Tacoma, Washington doing all the pawn and gunshops thereon when I came across 10 twenty round boxes of Norma 220 Swift brass and they were on close-out for $3.00 per box!
Needless to say i bought'em all.
Still using that brass in one of my Swifts today (about 4 reloadings so far).
I find it pays to "get around" and check things out.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 1,991 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,189
Posts18,465,772
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.