Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Tell me about Browing BLR's. I've never owned one or been around one. Mainly, I'm wondering about reliability issues or common problems....but would be interested in any input from BLR users. Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are very common in this neck of the woods. I personally know folk that use them with no reports of problems other than it's best not to take them apart for cleaning. This job is best left to the pros.

The triggers are hard to use and the combs are quite low. The pre-81s are brutal to buy replacement mags for. I've seen them for for sale for up to $300 or more.

If I wanted one, I'd but the BLR81 with the all steel receiver and the flush mag.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Just don't take them apart and your life will be more pleasant I have owned 3 of them, they were crazy accurate. There is a gunsmith in PA that does really good work on their triggers.

Big Stick owns one(?) and he spray paints his gold and immerses it in Salmon streams. They must be good grin

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Very good rifles. I have a '81 Lightweight in .308 and a pistol grip Lightweight in .358. They are both very reliable and accurate if you work the action fully. I have had the .308 fail to pick up the next round if I didn't work the action fully. My '81 Lightweight in in .308, Leupold FXII 2.5X in Talley QD mounts, and a sling tips the scales at a hair over 7 lbs. Spare magazines are expensive, however.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a BLR in 358. For awhile that was about all I liked using in the deer woods. It was quick on the second shot if needed and pointed really well for me..

Shoot, saying that I might need to break it out and make sure it's still zeroed. Let it taste some Fall.

Semper Fi
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have also owned three... they were not accurate compared to bolt guns. Mine were 1 1/2" guns...
I like them and they are handy but not particularly accurate and crappy triggers and normal. Your results may vary.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks guys.

Watched a couple of Hickok45's vids and he had a lot of misfires while using a .308. I'm not sure what was happening. Ejection/feeding looked great but no boom..... It happened often during the vids.

Is the BLR known for misfires or light primer strikes?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think some of the the old Belgian steel BLRs had some issues with light primer strikes. But I'm not sure that's what's happening in Hickok's videos. I think he experienced the same thing I have and that's a failure to pick up the next round when cycling due to short stroking. I experienced that when the gun was new. Cycle, fire, cycle, eject, click. Look and there is no round in the chamber. I never experienced it on my pistol grip BLR maybe because it feels easier to cycle than the straight gripped '81 Lightweight. It only happened a couple times and never again. When the rifle was new, it seemed to me that the bolt opened hard and it as a little disconcerting to me so I think I was being a little too gentle. Anyways, it's been a good gun and I recommend it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
ive had two, Still have a 308.. wouldnt trade it at all. I love them mine shoots sub MOA and handles beautfully...as stated, dont take them apart. if you feel the need to do so have a buddy kick you in the nuts you will enjoy it more than trying to put BLR back together.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hickok45 was using a new straight grip 81 LW in .308. It was feeding and extracting each time as it would eject an unfired round with a light primer strike.

I'd like to try one of the pistol grip stainless versions.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Thanks guys.

Watched a couple of Hickok45's vids and he had a lot of misfires while using a .308. I'm not sure what was happening. Ejection/feeding looked great but no boom..... It happened often during the vids.

Is the BLR known for misfires or light primer strikes?

I have had them and know of people that had them and I have never heard of such a thing. It might have. been the ammo.

I had a FTF on a large black bear in Maine one spring. Turns out the dufous forgot to rack a round into the chamber . grin

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Hickok45 was using a new straight grip 81 LW in .308. It was feeding and extracting each time as it would eject an unfired round with a light primer strike.

I'd like to try one of the pistol grip stainless versions.

If that's the case, I haven't experienced it. No light primer strikes. I do know some people has issued with the older Belgian made steel BLRs but the new ones seems to be very reliable.

As far as accuracy, my .308 is pretty close to an MOA gun, but the scope I have on it really isn't a long range scope. The .358 will hold about 1.5 inches, and likewise, has a low power scope. I'm perfectly fine with that sort of accuracy.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
don't know about the new ones but was in a hunt camp in BC... in 1994 Watched some hick from upstate NY shoot 5 shots into a nickle sized group at 175 yards, with factory ammo outta one in 308...

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I've had 3, 22-250,7mm-08, and a 358. All more than accurate enough. The 22-250 a certifiable MOA rifle!
there is enough information out there that taking them apart to clean & putting the back together isn't that
difficult! Have none of them now. I am what Mule Deer calls a "churner". :-)

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
It happens multiple times in the vids below.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I guess Miroku puts out a dud every million guns or so but I am betting it was ammo related.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
I've had 3, 22-250,7mm-08, and a 358. All more than accurate enough. The 22-250 a certifiable MOA rifle!
there is enough information out there that taking them apart to clean & putting the back together isn't that
difficult! Have none of them now. I am what Mule Deer calls a "churner". :-)

Man, one of them with an 1-7 twist barrel in 22 Creed might be kinda cool too. I have always wanted one In 7-08 as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I watched those videos. Mine never misfired. When I got mine, cycling them just feels different than cycling a 94 or Marlin 336, and it's a bit disconcerting if you're used to traditional lever actions. . The BLR has a gear in it and the bolt slides back and forth very fast and kind of hits hard when it gets to the rear. I chalk my issues up to user error since it's never happened again. BTW, I use the same Federal Power Shok in mine. 150 gr soft point.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The ones I've had were the pre 81.
Miroku and Belgian both.
High quality. Zero problems .
No, they're not a benchrest gun.
I've always regretted letting mine go, but
a big enough stack of money clouds one's
judgment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm unaware on an inherent reliability issue and in actuality,the platform is VERY fhuqking reliable(223,22-250,243,7-08 and 308's expressly). Hint.

I reckon I'm not "surprised",that Drooling Fhuqktards are in over their pointy heads,with disassembly of same. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Triggers clean up easily. The 'pin strike is only OBVIOUSLY,very robust. They lock up tight and shoot exceptionally. Lose the barrel band,free float the fore end(seal same),drive Lapooey positive headspaced fals shoulders and squirt .625 BC's at 2600fps from a 20" spout. Hint.

EGW miffed the rail,but THE Chop is nothing new. A MK4 M3 6x weren't a horrid start,but a 6x MQ gets it well past the 1000yd line,by simply looking through the fhuqking thing. Shoots 162's under 3/4" in hasty Trio's and is plum handy for handing Dissenters their asses. Hint.

Due the hammer's mass and rigorous momentum,excessive headspace was certainly the culprit in the above videos,especially in 308. Rather than the datum indexing the chamber,the case is simply driven forward by the firing pin and all that ass,is for not. One of many reasons,that positive headspaced false shoulders are a constant in the larder. Hint.

What else can't you CLUELESS Fhuqks do? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,884
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.