Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Almost everywhere I hunt is wooded mountain sides. I have to strip to base layers no matter how cold it is when walking in. I usually carry lunch/water in a pack and use the pack to put outer layers in while hiking in.

I used a summit for many years with the factory straps. Light, non-supportive pack with cloths/etc bungyed to the climber. The bulk was a bad as the weight going up the mountain. It sucked but I killed a lot of deer out of it.

Several years back I picked up a Lone Wolf climber. Not nearly as comfortable to sit in or climb with but much better to carry...mainly because it folds flat and has much less bulk. Light pack still strapped to it on my back. Better than the summit but still a lot of work and uncomfortable.

A couple of years ago I picked up a Mystery Ranch Popup 38 and used the meat shelf to carry the flat Lone Wolf stand. Still a fair bit of weight but balanced well, fairly compact, and the pack/belt worked well for supporting and carrying it.

Last year I used a tree saddle with the hand climber of the Lone Wolf as a platform and a climbing aider to climb. About 8 lbs total for everything, low bulk, and easy to strap to a pack. Really comfortable. There is a learning curve but I doubt I'll ever use a climber again.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tree saddle seems to be the rage currently. How comfortable are long all day sits in a saddle set up? I could take a nap in my Summit stand. It is bulky to pack. Using the Molle II system the weight isn't much of a concern. My son uses a Lone Wolf and loves it. But as you said, it isn't as comfortable to sit in and maybe not as secure if you have a Summit with the wrap around bar on the top section. I hunt big sections of public ground in the steep rocky Ozark's and often pack .5 to as much as a 1.5 miles in the timber and have considered a saddle set up.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think it's very comfortable. I hunt out of lock on stands a lot and during the rut I'll often do all day sits. The tree saddle beats them by a long shot and I did a few all day sits this past year. Near the end of the season I started using it in my lockon stands with the stand as the platform. There's so many ways to sit/stand that you can change positions all you want. You can use a strap around your back to make a back support to lean back on. It's not as comfortable as a Summit but I like it a lot.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
I use a 16 year old.

LOL. Your own personal sherpa. That's how I feel. Like this

[Linked Image from ichef.bbci.co.uk]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/02/21.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got my ALICE pack down. Yeah. No.

#1, it's a lot smaller that I remember it.

#2, my circumference is bigger than it used to be. The shoulder strap padding is minimal and cushioning inside has very little give to it.

Not going to work.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure about the laws in Old Virginny, but here up north we can put up a stand and leave it in the woods all deer season with our name or DNR number on it. I don't see people where I go, so a cable and a padlock on a stand cached in the woods is my own solution. We've all seen stands left in the woods, but it takes a real low life to take one.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I pack it in on my back. I use API's and they're heavy but I just muscle through it I guess.

Me

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Windfall
Not sure about the laws in Old Virginny, but here up north we can put up a stand and leave it in the woods all deer season with our name or DNR number on it. I don't see people where I go, so a cable and a padlock on a stand cached in the woods is my own solution. We've all seen stands left in the woods, but it takes a real low life to take one.

You can do that here on private land. And you may technically be able to do it on department owned or state land. Here is the rule:

D. Portable tree stands that are not permanently affixed can be placed on department-owned lands on or after September 15 and must be removed on or prior to January 31 of the following calendar year.
Tree stands will be considered abandoned and will be confiscated by the department if left on department-owned lands after January 31.

So, I suppose it can be done. I've never seen anyone do it where I hunt. And I would not put it past someone to vandalize or steal my stand. It's just not an option for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a Kifaru Stryker XL pack with their Duplex Tactical frame to lug in my Lone Wolf Sit and Climb and Summit Viper stands. Pricey, absolutely. Worth it, heck yeah. Carries the stand so effortlessly and securely. I have the XOP treestand transport system as well. It's a good setup, but you have to lash your pack to the stand and then use the straps to carry the stand. Seemed cumbersome. The Kifaru combines the best of both worlds, packs your stuff and your stand in with ease and comfort.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Teal
I pack it in on my back. I use API's and they're heavy but I just muscle through it I guess.

This. I remove layers until it's flat cold when starting out; that way I have dry layers to put on when I arrive. I always have clothing stuffed into the stand, or a small pack strapped to it. Not a pretty carry.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Windfall

I leave mine up all season and just take it down and lay it at the bottom of the tree after the season. Plenty of people around and nobody has taken one. The only issues I’ve had in WI was someone taking my SD cards from the trail cams a few years ago.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Molle belt and Kuiu Upgrade shoulder straps for mine. Summit Titan, Viper, and the death trap Lone Wolf Wide Sit, picked up helium sticks so I can leave climbers up this year and throw a few lock inside up as well. Some of my spots require a 2-3hr hike including dropping 2k’ and ascending again in extremely steep terrain made for mountain goats. Having the stand strapped around my waist with the center of the load higher on my back works for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hate tree stands. I hate carrying them way more.

I cable lock them to my tree and leave them right there at the base. Lots of folks around here do something similar and it seems to make sense.

Again, I hate tree stands. I’m a stalker but they are efficient at times.

- my Summit Goliath is great for naps

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 09/03/21.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
At the base huh, erebody gota piss somewhere.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I hate tree stands. I hate carrying them way more.

I cable lock them to my tree and leave them right there at the base. Lots of folks around here do something similar and it seems to make sense.

Again, I hate tree stands. I’m a stalker but they are efficient at times.

- my Summit Goliath is great for naps

Like killin while I am on my feet.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me too but when ya only have 5 acres it pays to sit still - I’m sure you understand

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only stands I’ve had stolen were on private land. I’ve had a couple of ladders on my public patch for 6 or 7 years with no problems, cabled of course. Began using a couple of hang-ons 3 years ago; again no problem, and one is where it can be seen pretty easily. I find other stands pretty often. Seems that quite a few leave them at the bottom of the tree for the season. I’ve also left carts in the section I hunt. So far, so good with those too. I consider the risk the cost of doing business on public land. Dragging all that crap in and out daily would turn hunting into a chore.

I’m beginning to transition to ground-hunting. 70 year-olds don’t bounce so good. Took a nice stool with a bag under the seat and added straps. Only a bit heavier than a rucksack and 1000% better than a cushion on the ground. Not great for still-hunting even with the legs taped, so I only carry it when I plan to sit.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
x2. I use an external frame pack to carry in stands. Bungee cord it to the frame

Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Almost everywhere I hunt is wooded mountain sides. I have to strip to base layers no matter how cold it is when walking in. I usually carry lunch/water in a pack and use the pack to put outer layers in while hiking in.

I used a summit for many years with the factory straps. Light, non-supportive pack with cloths/etc bungyed to the climber. The bulk was a bad as the weight going up the mountain. It sucked but I killed a lot of deer out of it.

Several years back I picked up a Lone Wolf climber. Not nearly as comfortable to sit in or climb with but much better to carry...mainly because it folds flat and has much less bulk. Light pack still strapped to it on my back. Better than the summit but still a lot of work and uncomfortable.

A couple of years ago I picked up a Mystery Ranch Popup 38 and used the meat shelf to carry the flat Lone Wolf stand. Still a fair bit of weight but balanced well, fairly compact, and the pack/belt worked well for supporting and carrying it.

Last year I used a tree saddle with the hand climber of the Lone Wolf as a platform and a climbing aider to climb. About 8 lbs total for everything, low bulk, and easy to strap to a pack. Really comfortable. There is a learning curve but I doubt I'll ever use a climber again.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The only stands I’ve had stolen were on private land. I’ve had a couple of ladders on my public patch for 6 or 7 years with no problems, cabled of course. Began using a couple of hang-ons 3 years ago; again no problem, and one is where it can be seen pretty easily. I find other stands pretty often. Seems that quite a few leave them at the bottom of the tree for the season. I’ve also left carts in the section I hunt. So far, so good with those too. I consider the risk the cost of doing business on public land. Dragging all that crap in and out daily would turn hunting into a chore.

I’m beginning to transition to ground-hunting. 70 year-olds don’t bounce so good. Took a nice stool with a bag under the seat and added straps. Only a bit heavier than a rucksack and 1000% better than a cushion on the ground. Not great for still-hunting even with the legs taped, so I only carry it when I plan to sit.

I'd do more ground hunting if I could. But I prefer to hunt with a rifle when I can. We have counties here in Virginia where you have to elevated 10 or more feet to use a rifle, otherwise its a shotgun affair only. Some of my favorite places to hunt have this restriction. Otherwise, I'd be in my makeshift ground blind.

H
H
Use a Summit Viper - not too bad to carry in and out. Didn't see this mentioned but, use meat bags and quarter the deer then stuff and strap on the stand. Maybe get some support with a hip strap too.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.