Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a Summit Goliath. It's not heavy, but it's bulky. I've been using the shoulder straps that came with it but they are really uncomfortable and some of my hikes to where my stand will be are well over a mile. I usually just bungee my pack to the tree stand. If I kill anything, it's just horsepower than gets it out along with all my gear. At 55, I'm getting to the point where its just a lot to do. I look at what I'm about to throw and my back and think "that's a lot of stuff right there." A fixed or permanent tree stand is not an option. And I don't want to just ground hunt.

Just wondering what some of you were doing to get all your gear to where you hunt when taking it on an ATV or your truck is not an option. And if anyone knows of any better after market shoulder straps for a big climber.

Thanks.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/01/21.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just use the backpack straps that are on my Summit. Those would not be hard to change out if one found them too uncomfortable. An internet search for "climbing tree stand shoulder straps" brings up many, many options. One thing I really like about the Summits are the sling style seats. Comfortable. And I can loop the top bungie over the stand and make a pocket to put my pack and extra clothes. Makes for a pretty easy package to assemble/disassemble.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I agree, the seat is very comfy and I've dozed off in mine before.

I've just been bungee'ing my day pack to the back of my stand, but it makes for a pack on my back pushing 2 feet thick.

I may also look into getting a cart to haul my stuff in. I think it would be pretty easy to get one into the places I hunt where I use my stand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a deer cart. Get to within a reasonable distance from my stand site, lock the cart to a tree and carry in.

Nowadays, reasonable distance is 6 or so feet......

C
CBB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Before I packed a climber in and out a mile I'd use a hang on stand and a ladder stick and leave it on thw tree

Hunt...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I can't leave a stand up.

Vic, what deer cart do you use?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The climber we use for that weighs 15#. (No longer made. ) Add several pounds of daypack and that's my limit. Been a long time since I was mad enough at deer to carry more.

Sherpa makes an attachment that joins the parts of your stand together and, with the wheels, makes a cart. Since you don't mind a lot of weight that might be worth carrying. Never tried it myself. I'll walk a mile toting the stand out and return with the big deer cart. Well, I did. Been a long time since I was....

I'd get new straps and a waist belt if I felt I needed to carry all that weight. My packs for carrying 20 pounds or more all have waist belts.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My stand alone is 21 lbs. I use an HS Systems harness which is comfortable but heavy. Ad a few more pound for my pack, and it get's pretty heavy pretty quick.

I'll start researching new shoulder straps and waist belt. Any recommendations, though?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

I don't remember the brand name, I apologize for that. I saw it in a Sporting Goods store, took it home, and found a way to make it work.

It looks like this:

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's about that size, too! (grin)

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Vic. I've seen these, too. A cart may be my best solution.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I use a couple of summit vipers. For up to a half mile or so i just use the factory straps and deal with it. For longer walk ins I have strapped the viper to a Elberstock mainframe. One I figured how to get everything tight it works pretty good. I have carried into the NYS Silver lake wilderness area like 5-6 miles with the mainframe, summit viper and camp gear for a 3 day bow hunt. Not too bad.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
noKnees, Your suggestion and especially your avatar reminded me that I have an Alice pack frame in my attic. I'll pull that down and see if I can do anything with that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Get one of the military hip belts that go on some of the packs and shoulder straps too. They are all padded and well built . I put that on my lone wolf and pack in over a mile sometimes with a day pack strapped to the stand like it ain't nuthin. I found the stuff on ebay years ago. A hip belt will put most of the weight on your legs instead of your back and not wear you out so fast.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Summit Viper on my back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

I don't remember the brand name, I apologize for that. I saw it in a Sporting Goods store, took it home, and found a way to make it work.

It looks like this:

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Thats the one I use

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would it be possible to stash your tree stand in the woods someplace close to your hunting area? Just a thought.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Molle II hip belt and shoulder straps. It is worlds apart from the factory straps. There are videos about how to set it up on a Summit stand. Get a Hazmore Silent Seat to cut down weight and bulk and work with the Molle II set up. A set of Third Hand Archery stabilizer straps and you are in business.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mmanincor
Would it be possible to stash your tree stand in the woods someplace close to your hunting area? Just a thought.

It might be, but I wouldn't feel good about it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I use a 16 year old.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,609
Posts18,454,873
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.