Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Kind of a generic rant/question.

I have a Lexus IS250 AWD. I noticed some oil drips and it smelled like gear oil. Real hard to see a lot under there since its so low to the ground. I couldn't tell where the oil was coming from because of course it smeared all over. I suspected pinion seal. I took it to Lexus thinking it would be no big deal to diagnose. They quoted me $2300 and said they had to pull the motor and tranny to get to it! I have never heard of such a cluster F in my life.

I contacted another shop that only deals with Toyota and Lexus. They quoted me $785 and said you don't have to pull the motor and tranny.

I am going to jack it up this weekend and try to see if it is doable myself. I have done similar seals before on my Tacoma and it wasn't a big deal. You literally unbolt drive shaft, pull flange, hook the gasket and replace.

Assuming you don't have to pull the motor, why in the F would Lexus say that? I can see a private garage trying to screw some dumbass, but seems like the dealer would not play that game. What am I missing here?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Kind of a generic rant/question.

I have a Lexus IS250 AWD. I noticed some oil drips and it smelled like gear oil. Real hard to see a lot under there since its so low to the ground. I couldn't tell where the oil was coming from because of course it smeared all over. I suspected pinion seal. I took it to Lexus thinking it would be no big deal to diagnose. They quoted me $2300 and said they had to pull the motor and tranny to get to it! I have never heard of such a cluster F in my life.

I contacted another shop that only deals with Toyota and Lexus. They quoted me $785 and said you don't have to pull the motor and tranny.

I am going to jack it up this weekend and try to see if it is doable myself. I have done similar seals before on my Tacoma and it wasn't a big deal. You literally unbolt drive shaft, pull flange, hook the gasket and replace.

Assuming you don't have to pull the motor, why in the F would Lexus say that? I can see a private garage trying to screw some dumbass, but seems like the dealer would not play that game. What am I missing here?

Dealer will usually screw you. pinion seal if you can get to is easy to replace, at least the ones I've done.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks, did you have to worry about preload on the nut when tightening back up?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They’re not called stealerships for nothing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Thanks, did you have to worry about preload on the nut when tightening back up?

Most of them you do, otherwise you will be replacing a differential soon. Get the specs and see what it takes, I would not guess.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
If its for myself, i mark the nut position with a punch or chisel and re use the old nut, tighten to mark. Yeah, you're supposed to use a new but and set proper preload and all that but who's got time for that..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, this should help, you don't want to get it too tight and burn up the pinion bearing.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
do yourself a favor and buy, or borrow (autizone?)the tool to hold the yoke while you turn the nut.
band steel is not rigid enough.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
looks like you should be able to get to it without pulling the motor.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'd change the U-joint while I had it apart .

I subscribed to Rain City Wrench ---> thx Roger !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by stxhunter
looks like you should be able to get to it without pulling the motor.

Thanks for the link!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (12344mag, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 29 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,290
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.