Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Try letting the hammer down in uncocked position.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Yup thats it. My 336Y will still do it and loading gate screw is tight
A loose loading gate screw would cause the action to stick on the return stroke. In other words, you wouldn't be able to close the lever after the down stroke as the lifter would bind on the loading gate as it tried to rise. A properly functioning Marlin will not do what is shown in that video. My 1894C, purchased new in 1986 has never bound up like that after thousands of cycles. Neither has my current 336 which has also been cycled thousands of times since purchased in 1992. Neither did my previous 1894 .44 mag. or any of the half dozen 336's I've owned previously. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you cycle them or in what position. Upside down, tilted left or right or pointed straight up or down, they operate smoothly with no binding. I would not tolerate that.

I don’t tolerate it. My Marlins are in the back of the closet and I use Winchesters these days for a lever fix.

But it is a problem that appears in some rifles that no one can diagnose with any consistency. Sometimes it is new rifles, sometimes it is old rifles that have worked for hundreds or even thousands of rounds. I”ve read it is mostly in well worn examples. I think it is something that is/was related to the 100 year old equipment Marlin was using to manufacture its rifles there at the end and something was producing parts that were out of tolerance or something. My rifle is slicker that cat schit but will do that about every fifth or sixth stroke.

Last edited by JoeBob; 10/11/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by moosemike

Yup thats it. My 336Y will still do it and loading gate screw is tight
A loose loading gate screw would cause the action to stick on the return stroke. In other words, you wouldn't be able to close the lever after the down stroke as the lifter would bind on the loading gate as it tried to rise. A properly functioning Marlin will not do what is shown in that video. My 1894C, purchased new in 1986 has never bound up like that after thousands of cycles. Neither has my current 336 which has also been cycled thousands of times since purchased in 1992. Neither did my previous 1894 .44 mag. or any of the half dozen 336's I've owned previously. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you cycle them or in what position. Upside down, tilted left or right or pointed straight up or down, they operate smoothly with no binding. I would not tolerate that.

I don’t tolerate it. My Marlins are in the back of the closet and I use Winchesters these days for a lever fix.

But it is a problem that appears in some rifles that no one can diagnose with any consistency. Sometimes it is new rifles, sometimes it is old rifles that have worked for hundreds or even thousands of rounds. I”ve read it is mostly in well worn examples. I think it is something that is/was related to the 100 year old equipment Marlin was using to manufacture its rifles there at the end and something was producing parts that were out of tolerance or something. My rifle is slicker that cat schit but will do that about every fifth or sixth stroke.
It may well be something out of tolerance. It may also be as simple as burrs/roughness or a chip. I'd be checking the nose of the lever and the slot in the bolt it rides in for chips/burrs/irregularities. You can tell the lever is coming down far enough in that video that the locking lug is already disengaged and with the hammer already cocked it for sure isn't the hammer spring strut binding in the slot of the retention plate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last gun I took to a gunsmith I didn't see again for 6 months. I'll live with it. It only does it once in a blue moon and I can get it unstuck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Press release from this morning.

The moment you've been waiting for is finally here... We are proud to share with you the very first production-built Marlin Model 1895™! Congratulations to the entire Marlin team in our Mayodan, NC facility on this major milestone. Stay tuned for the official release of these production rifles later this year!

Marlin Firearms

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Anyway, looks like Ruger is on it.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Remington tried to make the old Marlin machinery work for them but ended up re-tooling. What Ruger picked up in the sale should be in pretty good shape. Hopefully, they won’t rush to market before they get it right.

Am I reading Investment Cast receivers?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anybody heard or seen anything on how the pricing is going to be on these?

I'm anxiously awaiting I'm sure like a lot of other folks.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I can't help but think the current manic Marlin prices will play into Ruger's MSRP decision. I hope not though.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best thing they could do is shock everyone with an outstanding value product below MSRP suggestions. Get back to making every-woodsmans rifle - one version under $400 others being fancier. Nobody is doing that now

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 11/30/21.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd love to see them do away with the damn checkering. Checkering never did look right on a lever gun to me. I much prefer my older ones with smooth woodwork.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've skipped many Posts in this Thread... With intent. A definite "Marlin" aficionado, but as myself "old stuff", my appreciation for the old stuff. I do understand both some new elements and also chamberings well beyond the Model 336 of yore, such as being "seductive". But for the folks enjoying the KISS principle of guns or hanging on by fingernails in 'life'... What about the virtues of the by now "senior" Marlins such as the 336 from intro in 1948 to about the time of the "safety" intro, about '82? To me those are the "pure" and unadulterated" Marlins. Folks here with baited breath (never quite understood how that term came about), as so many nice early specimens yet at decent prices - comparatively! I did my collecting in the true and quite long era as Marlin a sleeper on the used market. Now, some pretty nice specimens I couldn't affordably justify today.
Rambling concluded, with question. Why not more interest in the classic models compared to new equivalent and even with bells & whistles sight rails, super mag chamberings and whiz-bang chamberings?

Wood & blued steel, 30-30 Win or .35 Rem... Would think for many, more than sufficient!

Would appreciate the 'other' perspective where such guns are "inadequate" or...???

Best & Happy Holidays!
John

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I talked with a friend of mine yesterday, a ruger engineer, and he said they were making a SS 1895 in 45-70 at the moment. I also like the older Marlins,square bolt models,along with winchester and savages.

[Linked Image from pbase.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Best thing they could do is shock everyone with an outstanding value product below MSRP suggestions. Get back to making every-woodsmans rifle - one version under $400 others being fancier. Nobody is doing that now

I can't imagine them turning a profit at $400 for the price of materials, labor, and shipping these days. Levers are a lot more labor intensive to turn out than bolts. More parts, more fitment with both metal and wood, more complicated assembly.

The cheapest centerfire lever on the market that I know of is the Mossberg 464, and even those go over $400 now. They're an acceptably functional rifle, but they just feel very cheap in the hand compared to pretty much any other lever out there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by iskra
Folks here with baited breath (never quite understood how that term came about),
John

" Bated breath means you're breathless with anticipation. Unless you've devoured several cans of sardines in the hopes that your fishy breath will lure a nice big trout out of the river, baited breath is incorrect." laugh

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I saw an article yesterday that Marlins will be shipping in Dec depending on shipping availability.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Still have to wait and see. When a LGS starts taking orders, we will know for sure.
And their web site starts listing them under product line

Last edited by WStrayer; 12/02/21.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It will be interesting to see what they offer. Some things from the old product line I'd buy, some I passed on before and I'd pass on again. I hope they offer the Cowboy guns and some stainless versions.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm mainly waiting in the wings for 444

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.