Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
have a new savage axis in 243 win that has never been fired. I bought some 1x brass off the forum that is fc/win headstamp. I full length resize the brass and go to chamber it and get a very stiff bolt close on it. I proceed to try chambering a new dw headstamp piece of brass and it closes like a charm in the chamber. My question is could the once fired brass be fireformed to the previous persons rifle making it more difficult to close on mine since I haven’t fireformed it to my chamber yet? Or could I have a possible short chamber issue on my rifle itself? Thanks for any advice

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Check the case length and see if they need trimmed. Try turning the resizing die down 1/4 turn and see if the brass chambers easier. If the difficult chambering brass is loaded, try FL resizing in a 308 die with the decapping rod removed. I had to do this with some 243 ammo that was too tight to chamber.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

Two possible problems.

Sizing die not screwed down far enough to size the web down to fit the chamber .

The gun has a smaller than normal chamber. If this is the case a small base die will solve the problem..

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Or, the previous rifle the brass came from had a sloppy chamber, which increased the brass right at the base, where it isn't being sized.
How firmly is the die contacting the shellholder? Could also be the previous gun had a slightly longer headspace.

I'd check brass length first, then headspace/die setting, and then finally the base diameter. It has to be one of those.
Small base dies should not be needed if you have a bolt action with a standard chamber, which is what the Axis is.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ipopum

Two possible problems.

Sizing die not screwed down far enough to size the web down to fit the chamber .

The gun has a smaller than normal chamber. If this is the case a small base die will solve the problem..

I actually tried screwing the sizer down as far as I could and that didn’t solve the problem 🤨

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by KenMi
Or, the previous rifle the brass came from had a sloppy chamber, which increased the brass right at the base, where it isn't being sized.
How firmly is the die contacting the shellholder? Could also be the previous gun had a slightly longer headspace.

I'd check brass length first, then headspace/die setting, and then finally the base diameter. It has to be one of those.
Small base dies should not be needed if you have a bolt action with a standard chamber, which is what the Axis is.

10-4 on that 👍

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

The die is touching the shell holder

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Use a dark Sharpie marker on the shoulder & the junctions of body & neck as well as around the base at the pressure ring. Hell... color the whole case. Chamber, extract, & look for marks where it's hitting.

See above comments for remedy.

If the base needs sizing, I've heard that stripping a 45ACP sizing die will allow you push the case all the way thru. Carbide will be easier. Not sure if I'd do this to a loaded round..

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
"Or, the previous rifle the brass came from had a sloppy chamber, which increased the brass right at the base, where it isn't being sized."

This is the likely answer. The fact that the factory new brass chambers without difficulty pretty much confirms it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Problem at the reload bench, difficult chambering... case needs trim, or it was not having the shoulder bumped back enough...

Mike the unfired case and compare dimensions to the once fired...

you can also Over Bump the shoulder back and have it buckle or bulge a little, and that can cause the same problem....

Should be a simple fix.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Seafire
Problem at the reload bench, difficult chambering... case needs trim, or it was not having the shoulder bumped back enough...

Mike the unfired case and compare dimensions to the once fired...

you can also Over Bump the shoulder back and have it buckle or bulge a little, and that can cause the same problem....

Should be a simple fix.....

I had two thoughts on this, I think the once fired brass may have been fired in a sloppy chamber however when I go to full length size it I’ve adjusted my die as far down as possible being careful not to buckle the shoulder and it still is hard chambering

Last edited by remingtonman; 09/03/21.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You may just have to get new brass and forget about the used stuff, it might just be scrap. The simplest solution is usually the best.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 358WCF
Use a dark Sharpie marker on the shoulder & the junctions of body & neck as well as around the base at the pressure ring. Hell... color the whole case. Chamber, extract, & look for marks where it's hitting.

If the base needs sizing, I've heard that stripping a 45ACP sizing die will allow you push the case all the way thru. Carbide will be easier. Not sure if I'd do this to a loaded round..

I just used a sharpie marker and painted the entire case and kind of what I suspected the problem is on the shoulder of the case. My COAL is good, base of case is good, I saw contact markers on the shoulder of case. Is there any way I can bump that down with my die? I thought when FL sized my case that it was automatically bumping the shoulder back. As another amp fire member said I may just have to buy brand new brass. Or I may be able to fire this stuff through my chamber to get it to fireform to my chamber and continue to use it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If the bolt doesn’t close too hard it’s worth a try fire forming a few as a test. I would be curious as to how it turns out.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Get a case gauge and check the cases with it. If you haven't annealed the brass try that and resize it. It will only contact the case at the web area. If annealing, trimming, and resizing don't work try running the brass through a 45acp carbide die with the decapping pin removed. The last resort is take a shell holder and tale off some of the top where the die touches it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm going to throw this out there, so just consider that when reading...

I was down by LA, in CA, and went a visited a campfire friend at a local range. He had a friend who was firing some Swiss rifle IIRC, that he had necked up 6.5 x 55 brass, to 30 caliber. When he was done, he gave me the brass, and said he only loads new brass and then toss it.

I brought it home and my 6.5 x 55 dies, wouldn't even neck it down, and wouldn't get pass the shoulder much, no matter how much I had lubed it.
So I just threw the brass in an empty butter container ( Shed's Spread) and let it sit for a month or two just ignoring it. I had never wiped the oil on the case off. It was Amzoil version of WD 40.

Couple months later, I was just going to throw it out, but I thought I'd try to run a couple cases thru the 6.5 x 55 Die one last time before getting rid of it.

After the oil sitting on it for a while, it all went thru the die like butter. Guess the oil on it and sitting ( probably didn't need the entire 60 days or so) softened the brass up enough, it worked just fine.

Did the same thing on 243 brass that wouldn't chamber in my rifle....used range pick up.. evidently once fired...think it was ran thru a pump Remington...

Lubed it, let it sit for two days in a disposable plastic container, and resized it just fine....

So just passing that on about brass that was hard to resize, to fit a different rifles chamber. No guarantees implied... both that worked for me several times.

Sacrificing a chicken over it and do a Louisiana Cajun Voodoo chant didn't work so well...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Ochams razor - the simplest explanation is preferable to one that is more complex. In other words, we should avoid looking for excessively complex solutions to a problem, and focus on what works given the circumstances.

1 - The brass fired in a different rifle will not size down enough to chamber in your rifle.

2 - Factory new brass will chamber in your rifle.

3 - Solution: Use factory new brass in your rifle.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by remingtonman

I just used a sharpie marker and painted the entire case and kind of what I suspected the problem is on the shoulder of the case. My COAL is good, base of case is good, I saw contact markers on the shoulder of case. Is there any way I can bump that down with my die? I thought when FL sized my case that it was automatically bumping the shoulder back. As another amp fire member said I may just have to buy brand new brass. Or I may be able to fire this stuff through my chamber to get it to fireform to my chamber and continue to use it.

It's hard to tell from here. The die isn't sizing enough for whatever reason.

Or it is sizing enough & when the expander is pulled back thru the neck it's stretching the brass. Some Federal & Winchester brass are fairly thin. I've seen this happen a few times.Take out the expander assy, try sizing again, then chambering. If it fits easily without expanding polish your expander ball &/or lube inside necks with powdered graphite/motor mica/some other type of dry neck lube. Redding sells Imperial sizing wax & dry neck lube these days.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ipopum

Two possible problems.

I would say he needs to set the shoulder back some

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
The press shellholder can be very firm against the die, not just softly touching it.
Or, you can mill off the top of a shellholder slightly just for that cartridge.
Wet/dry paper on a very flat surface will take off the small amount needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

The die is touching the shell holder

For RCBS and have used it on Hornady and Redding also.

First, run the ram to the top of the reloading press stroke with the proper shell holder installed. Second, screw the resizing die into the press until it stops against the elevated shell holder. Third, all play must be removed from the system. To do this, lower the ram and turn the die 1/8 to 1/4 turn farther into the press. Check the adjustment by returning the shell holder to the top of its stroke--you should feel the press cam over center. Now set the large lock ring and your die is adjusted to properly full length resize cases.

Swifty
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Brass fired in my Model 88 (243 lever) would not chamber in my T/C TCR 87. Resizing in FL die did not work.
Ran the brass into my trim die and then the FL die did the trick. Another option is a Small Base die set.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sounds like a die problem to me, since the op says the shoulder isn't getting bumped back far enough. He also says the "COAL" is good". OP, you still don't say if you've trimmed the brass. Only that it is good. What brand of dies are you using? Also, are you adjusting your die set as Swifty has outlined? You just say that the shell holder is making contact with the die. If you need to FL size, you need to adjust your die to do so. It should "cam over" when you are sizing..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the die is adjusted right and still hard to close the bolt double check the die and see if by chance it's a neck sizer die.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.