-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I have good lead on one with all the items, trim,etc, I would like. Am surprised it’s est mileage is no better than my full-sized Ram though. Everything is a compromise.

Anybody’s opinion is welcomed — the good, bad, and the ugly.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Bought a new '18 holdover in Jan of '19, mine was the 2.8 diesel (ZR2)

Loved the truck, had a few rattles that would come and go from the start that 1/2 drove me nuts. Loved the diesel and got good mileage with it. Ride is very nice with the multi-matic shocks (somewhat prone to leaking). Interior was under-whelming for a 50k sticker vehicle. Very capable off-road with the front and rear electronic diff lockers and various off-road modes you can use.

Ultimately I traded it in after a little over 2 years. I had planned to delete it after warranty, but EPA [bleep] that up. Regardless, you're looking at a gas and for what they are I think they're pretty good vehicles. I have a 3/4 ton for when I need it, but much prefer the mid-sized for general driving, especially around town.

I replaced mine with a Porsche Cayenne and a 2nd gen Tacoma that I'll probably have until I die.

Last edited by 69sportfury; 09/01/21.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I looked nationwide for the ZR2 a year or two old and low mileage. Found it in Sioux Falls. 2019 with 13k miles, and yes, a gasser. Good find except I see gas mileage is no better than my old 5.7 L Ram 1500. Wanted the heavier duty ZR2 for towing my boat. Good looking mid-size truck.

Everything is a bit of a compromise but think/hope I like it.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ZR2 has a reduced towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. due to being optimized for off-road. Other trim packages get you to 7,000 lbs. for gas and 7,700 lbs. for diesel.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I looked nationwide for the ZR2 a year or two old and low mileage. Found it in Sioux Falls. 2019 with 13k miles, and yes, a gasser. Good find except I see gas mileage is no better than my old 5.7 L Ram 1500. Wanted the heavier duty ZR2 for towing my boat. Good looking mid-size truck.

George - my father has a 2020 - very nice truck but it’s not much better on fuel than my full-size Sierra.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not a ZR2 and not a 2019 but they bought us a couple 2017 ish 4cyl gas Colorados at work for runabouts. One 4x4 and one 2wd. Both are enormous POSs. They’re both base trim but the build quality is horrible, dashes and door panels falling apart. Door and tailgate handles broken constantly. 4x4 model was plagued by front end problems and was sent to auction at under 50k miles. The 2wd we still have and it’s on it’s second engine at 31k, and the GM replacement engine rattles like a handful of bolts in a coffee can on startup regardless of outside temp.

Hopefully the higher trim levels are better or the newer models but I certainly wouldn’t be looking for one based on my experiences with these two. They are regularly maintained at 5k intervals along with the rest of the fleet BTW.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane

George - my father has a 2020 - very nice truck but it’s not much better on fuel than my full-size Sierra.

That's been the rub for me on the mid/smaller trucks.

I love that they're like a go-kart, can take them down trails and in the woods where full sized can't. But that's 10% of their use, for 90% they aren't better than a full size - especially when it comes to mpg.

Maybe it's the German/Belgian in me but if I'm paying that kind of money, I want more metal lol.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal

Maybe it's the German/Belgian in me but if I'm paying that kind of money, I want more metal lol.

laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Well, maybe I misfired. My boat, outboard, and trailer comes in at just under 4000 lbs so I figured it’ll work if not ideal. I hope my experience is better than some here related.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by SKane

That's been the rub for me on the mid/smaller trucks.

I love that they're like a go-kart, can take them down trails and in the woods where full sized can't. But that's 10% of their use, for 90% they aren't better than a full size - especially when it comes to mpg.

I doubt that characteristic doesn’t go double for the Dutch. 😊

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well, maybe I misfired. My boat, outboard, and trailer comes in at just under 4000 lbs so I figured it’ll work if not ideal. I hope my experience is better than some here related.

I Have a 2005 Colorado Z71 4x4 crew cab that I bought new and still have, although I just picked up the 2021 ZR2 that will replace it. The 2005 has been very serviceable, but dull. The jury is still out on the ZR2, but that truck is a beast and a blast to drive.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Have put on some 2k miles now on this ‘19 ZR2. Towed my 19’ Crestliner to northern Minnesota and back and did fine. Comfort — ride — is satisfactory. Towing almost exceeded expectations. Eyeball appeal, for what it’s worth is good IMO.. instrumentation is intuitive. Extra room vs a full sized truck in the garage is great.

Mileage, in a word, sucks, but I knew that going in. I can’t say that makes any sense to me driving a smaller truck. The ZR2 gets not one wit better mileage than my full size Dodge Ram Laramie with a Hemi which at best got about 18 mpg. Towing the boat was probably 14 or so — thanks Democrats!

Quick Score: 3.5 out of 5. But satisfied. Almost any vehicle is a compromise.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BIL has a 2020 Colorado extended cab 4x4. 305HP V6, vs my Silverado's 355 HP.

His truck gets ONE mile per gallon better fuel mileage than my truck, on the trip to hunting camp. His truck has virtually nothing in the way of weight in the bed. Mine has a bed full of tools, etc. Every day.

Had a new S-10 ZR2 4x4 almost 20 years ago and loved it. Went back to full sized trucks so I could tow bigger capacity trailers. I still like the little bit of extra room and that 355HP, Last time I hauled two plus cords of wood home from camp with the Silverado, got around 14 MPG and it pulls that with little effort.

I could drive a Colorado, it's a nice truck. But I'd miss the extra power for towing?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,593
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.