Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by John55
Buy a Trijicon or a NF and forget it.

NFs are bulky.

It’s too bad that the tube on their 2.5-10/3-10x42’s isn’t a bit longer as well. ‘Nother 1/2” of eye relief wouldn’t piss me off either.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by horse1
Buy a Trijicon or a NF and forget it.

NFs are bulky.

It’s too bad that the tube on their 2.5-10/3-10x42’s isn’t a bit longer as well. ‘Nother 1/2” of eye relief wouldn’t piss me off either.

My biggest complaint with that scope.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I wish I would have purchased a bunch of 2.5X8X36 VX3s with the B&C had I known they were being discontinued.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I wish I would have purchased a bunch of 2.5X8X36 VX3s with the B&C had I known they were being discontinued.

They are still out there , have seen a lot from time to time on Fleabay.

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LFC
Anyone bad mounting Leupold is likely a paid internet China scope trOll.

I heard Kennedy was shot with Remington XP100 .221 Fireball with a Leupold scope sitting on top....

I have multiple Leupolds so not bad mouthing Leupold at all. When the value and performance points at a Leupold versus some other brand, then I'll buy Leupold. If not I'll buy what I consider performance value of the other brand. Example: I just purchased 2 Atholon scopes. I'm not being anti-American or a China troll.

Even Leupold says they source out their glass to foriegn countries including Eastern Asia. Doesnt specifically say China but in direct question they don't deny it either. China has the most CNC equipment in the world. Stands to reason some Leupold glass while assembled here, comes from China. Won't keep me from buying Leupold or other brand if it is the best value for the performance I am looking for.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As has been pointed out the 2.5-8x36 is still available, but with the CDS system. I have 2 of those although don't have much use for the CDS system.

https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-2-5-8x36-cds-zl-duplex

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll pass on the CDS. Leupolds don't track, don't you know! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jorgel:

I'm glad you find humor and mockery in shifting POI. Likely why you've been happy with Leupolds all this time!

Serious question: Is it your understanding/opinion that a spring held under continuous compressive force, such as you'd find in a scope's erector system "whilst sitting in a safe", can't or won't experience a degree of fatigue or even breakage over time? Further, is it your understanding/opinion that a fatigued or broken spring in an erector assembly can't or won't effectuate changes in POI? Do you believe that the yearly pre season sight-in that has become near standard practice is just a preposterous waste of time, effort, and finite ammo supplies?

I'll add that all 5 scopes I've sent back to Beaverton for tracking/RTZ/loss of zero returned with language to the effect of "replaced broken/worn erector spring/s" in the problem description area. Additionally, a 4x scope, which was not having adjustment or tracking problems, was sent in to have a damaged front objective ring replaced also came back with a replaced erector spring.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe that's why I keep missing and or wounding game I guess...And like I've said (ad nauseum) I do not doubt the Leupold issues. Too bad the data sheet did not publish if folks had issues with them....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Shag
Originally Posted by beretzs
Jorge old buddy! Hate to tell you this but another well known and respected forum member told me today his VXIII 1.5-5 crapped out on him. Had it mounted on a 458, lasted one shot today.
And my VX6 has severe tracking issues. Mounted on a super accurate 300mag, I was setting it up for an upcoming hunt when it started. Needed 2” elevation at 200yds, clicked it up the appropriate number and got 7”. Clicked it back 1/2 the amount of clicks and it went all the way back to where it was before!
Before I get the sermon about how great they are let me just say I’m no Leupold hater. Own more of them than anything else and have for the past 40yrs but please don’t try and convince me they track as advertised. They hold zero, look good, handle heavy recoil well and are light but accurate tracking is non existent. I’ve done the Leupold Shuffle for so many years I’ve gotten used to it.

Im the poor sap that had my 1.5x5 die on my 458 today.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I did replace it with old M8 4x long tube I’ve had for quite awhile.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

The scope was good on the first shot, the next one after racking the bolt was a blurry target. I said hmmm, I adjusted it back and forth and nothing helped. The old 4x works fine. Takes me a bit to zero the old friction dials but we shall see what it does.

I still have some 6x36’s on rifles as well that seem to track great.

As Kaleb mentioned, the rest wear SWFA, Trijicon, or NF.

John’s VX6 croaking is the same story as my two previous 2-12’s. Beautiful optics but could not or would not adjust properly nor hold zero on a 7mm Mashburn Super or 338 Win, neither of which are hard recliners.

Oh and the. 458 has never seen a load heavier than a 350 grain bullet at 2600 so I wasn’t exactly punishing it.

My fuggin god that is beautiful! Congrats!

Thanks buddy. New deer rifle whistle

Semper Fi
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Notice what #2 is on both those lists????

You may want to look at those lists again, there is no number 2. The next closest scope is about # 45 against the total number of scopes used.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Me too.

What's worse, I held off sending several scopes to the custom shop for ballistic reticles, only to have leupold shut it down........teach me to dawdle........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zero recoil on a 12 and a half pound rifle.
Miniscule amount of adjustment to get to 100 yds.
Maybe they should have named this thread.
Where old Leopold benchrest Scopes go.
When they can't do anything else.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I just can[t understand how a respected poster gets bashed because he expresses his satisfaction with Leupold. Are you calling him a liar because of his experience?

A lot of people here need to grow the F up. That's why we are losing good campfire members left and right.

This ^^^^ I'm assuming your talking about dave7mm. I read what he post.......................

Count me as non-believer. In fact, I have a NF sitting here that s going on my buddy's 270. I grew tired of the scattered shots on a bedded Kimber Montana of known accuracy. Guess what its replacing.............

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dave7mm

dave

LMAOROTF

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bwinters
I just can[t understand how a respected poster gets bashed because he expresses his satisfaction with Leupold. Are you calling him a liar because of his experience?

A lot of people here need to grow the F up. That's why we are losing good campfire members left and right.

This ^^^^ I'm assuming your talking about dave7mm. I read what he post.......................

Count me as non-believer. In fact, I have a NF sitting here that s going on my buddy's 270. I grew tired of the scattered shots on a bedded Kimber Montana of known accuracy. Guess what its replacing.............

No , in fact that Bastige got me started on S&B scopes. It just seems when someone praises a brand a thousand jump up and tell him that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bwinters

No , in fact that Bastige got me started on S&B scopes. It just seems when someone praises a brand a thousand jump up and tell him that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Say it ain’t so grin

I believe ol Dave shoots amongst a lot of fellas trying to win. If they thought Leupold made anything worth using they’d be all over them to cut .00001 from their group sizes.

Hell, I hear they’re known to put pointier tips on their Bullets too whistle

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I currently have a Weaver KT15 (Japanese)which also works very well. I used it for "F" class too and it worked very well in that venue as well. The only drawback is the short tube. I wish a scope like this was available now. They were cheap, the optics not bad, and they track just fine. This one is on my centerfire now. The one Leupold I use, a 12X, is OK too. Silhouette IS a fairly limited test of scope tracking. "F" class, from 300m to 900m up here, is a little more of a test.
Hey Stick,
Did those reticles break when they were thrown into the creek or did you just shove a pencil into them? GD

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

dave

Or you could say Schmidt and Bender when you have nothing else to say.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I typically don't get involved in the Leopold fire pissing contest anymore.
It's been a number of years ago now. But in my time messing with Leopold's flippy erector in short range BR.
A 6 mm PPC bench gun that would shoot an aggregate in the .150s all of a sudden would be lucky to shoot a half inch group. It happened to me repeatedly across three different Leopold Bench rest scopes.
Did the Leopold Mary go around with United parcel service for a while. One on the gun one in transit to Oregon and another one either ready to go to Oregon or ready to go on the gun.
Finally got them tuckerized which resolved the problem completely.
Never had a stock Leopold go over 950 rounds without having the erector float. Very common problem.
I'm reminded of being at the rifle range seeing some poor sap sitting there pounding on his deer rifle shooting inch and a half groups saying repeatedly that the rifle used to shoot tighter than that and of course it almost in every case there was a Leopold on top.
Sad.
From what I've read its only gone down hill.
For competition I run March and Nightforce.
For hunting it's S&B.
I simply don't have time to mess with an inferior rifle optic.
That they're using them in the short range silhouette game. Doesn't surprise me. They're cheap they're light and they're running them on a 12 lb rifle that has virtually no recoil.
Sounds like a good place for them.

Dave
I think you should get rid of them "Leopold" scope's and try a Leupold....

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,731
Posts18,457,498
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.