Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I have a few of the Primary Arms 1-8 with ACSS reticle. The ACSS reticle is amazingly useful.

Scott
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by David_Walter
red dots vs. LPVOs.

Fighting distance to "down a couple city blocks" distance.

I used an SWFA 1-6 HD at Thunder Ranch of the Precision Urban Rifle course and did OK. It was heavy, though it performed well.

Mrs. Walter used an aimpoint red dot and did ok.

Most shots from 50-100 years, some to 200 or 300.

Thoughts on a general purpose optic for a 5.56 rifle? From clearing houses to urban rifle?

Try Leupold’s Freedom Red Dot with BDC.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'll say again.....the NX8 1-8 is a pretty good package. Not light but it's not overly heavy and fairly compact. Rugged build, windage capped. Reticle is well designed and can be illuminated from fairly dim to BRIGHT with on/off settings between each illum level. In daylight, the reticle is designed well enough that it's fast without illum on the 1x. At higher x's the reticle is very good for hold off if you prefer not to dial or dial and hold windage.

You can see some in-use, through the scope pics in the vid below:

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
2.5-10x24mm NF fits right in there too JCM, i remember the look on your face peering through mine i had mounted on a 450 Bushmaster at the Tennessee pig shoot one year, i thought, hmm, he likes that glass! ; ]

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
2.5-10x24mm NF fits right in there too JCM, i remember the look on your face peering through mine i had mounted on a 450 Bushmaster at the Tennessee pig shoot one year, i thought, hmm, he likes that glass! ; ]

I'd try one of those. NF makes some damn good solid rifle scopes. For me, almost anything would work for the OP's requirements. I'm not that picky when it comes to AR scopes. However, I use higher magnification than most do. If I were going to use a lighter weapon for kicking in doors, It would probably be set up with a holographic red dot sight of some sort. Hopefully one that was made very robustly, that I didn't have to worry about as much. I try not to comment on these types of threads too much because I shoot with both eyes open and have shot running game with 9x scopes. One particular cow elk hunt I was on, I was forced to shoot a running cow at 15 yards with my Burris FFII 3-9x40. Not having enough time to turn the power ring, I pulled up and shot, putting one pill right through her heart. She was running right towards me and veered off at the last moment. She ended up doing a nose dive in the dirt. I grew up shooting jacks on the run with high powered scopes on top of my 30-06 and 10-22's. You learn to shoot with both eyes open for quick as hell target acquisition. Just like I did when I was making money shooting competitive trap. It doesn't really matter what kind of scope you have on your rifle, as long as you know how to find the target quickly. If you can't, you need more practice (not you in particular buddy, but everyone in general). Also, as I stated before. A "torso" sized target is pretty fugging big....just sayin... I'd imagine some guys (you in particular gunner) could prove my point and Quigly some poor bastid, even with iron sights at well past the ranges the op specifies.... Not just well past, but way the fugg out there...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For clearing houses to 300 yards….

I’d say LPVO with a daylight bright dot and 1x on the bottom, generous eyebox, and easy to use reticle. At least 4x on the top end. 6x is great.

I’d look at the 1-6 Credo.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'd try one of those. NF makes some damn good solid rifle scopes. For me, almost anything would work for the OP's requirements. I'm not that picky when it comes to AR scopes. However, I use higher magnification than most do. If I were going to use a lighter weapon for kicking in doors, It would probably be set up with a holographic red dot sight of some sort. Hopefully one that was made very robustly, that I didn't have to worry about as much. I try not to comment on these types of threads too much because I shoot with both eyes open and have shot running game with 9x scopes. One particular cow elk hunt I was on, I was forced to shoot a running cow at 15 yards with my Burris FFII 3-9x40. Not having enough time to turn the power ring, I pulled up and shot, putting one pill right through her heart. She was running right towards me and veered off at the last moment. She ended up doing a nose dive in the dirt. I grew up shooting jacks on the run with high powered scopes on top of my 30-06 and 10-22's. You learn to shoot with both eyes open for quick as hell target acquisition. Just like I did when I was making money shooting competitive trap. It doesn't really matter what kind of scope you have on your rifle, as long as you know how to find the target quickly. If you can't, you need more practice (not you in particular buddy, but everyone in general). Also, as I stated before. A "torso" sized target is pretty fugging big....just sayin... I'd imagine some guys (you in particular gunner) could prove my point and Quigly some poor bastid, even with iron sights at well past the ranges the op specifies.... Not just well past, but way the fugg out there...

Yessir buddy, i get where you're coming from, i have a couple of those 2.5-10x24 NF with lit NP-1 reticle, perfect on the two REPR's they ride on, that old 450 Bushmaster now wears a Minox ZA5 1.2-6, great glass for that rifle so far defense around the house and farm to 200 yard pig busting, it's got that easily handled, all that said the rest of AR type rifles around here all wear Eo-Tech 556's and Aimpoint red dot, i don't shoot matches or longish range with any of them, strictly utility/defense guns,even my no-tech ass has no trouble with both eyes open shooting, especially with random water jugs scattered about the field with one of the red dot setups.

LOL, given time to set sight, a good rest and range finder, a man could Quigley a felonious oxygen thief much, much farther than 99.9% would believe .smile

Last edited by gunner500; 09/04/21.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I have horrible astigmatism and I noticed the red dots were completely sharp if used with a multiplier. Can't explain the optical reason why but it was like night and day. Not sure that setup would add any value over a prism scope. Might be better eye relief though.

Red dots will also be clear if you look at them through an aperture. Finding a rear sight that lines up is the problem.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
I have horrible astigmatism and I noticed the red dots were completely sharp if used with a multiplier. Can't explain the optical reason why but it was like night and day. Not sure that setup would add any value over a prism scope. Might be better eye relief though.

Red dots will also be clear if you look at them through an aperture. Finding a rear sight that lines up is the problem.

That would totally defeat & negate the speed of a red dot which is the main reason for using one.

Just sayin'.

Dialing down the intensity usually makes a significant difference.

MM

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by kingston

That would totally defeat & negate the speed of a red dot which is the main reason for using one.

Just sayin'.

Dialing down the intensity usually makes a significant difference.

MM

As long as your red dot mount is co-witness or lower 1/3’d, any standard height AR sight will line up just fine.

As I stated earlier, when you need speed, the irregular dot is not a problem. When you need more precision at longer ranges, there’s usually plenty of time to look through the peep.

While not perfect, I can use one a lot further than I first thought.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No mention of Trijicon VCOG or Vortex Razor thus far. ??

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Yes sir! I use several of the 2.5-10x32's and x42's.....and have been very close to grabbing one of the 2.5-10x24's that I've seen on GB a few times.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Yes sir! I use several of the 2.5-10x32's and x42's.....and have been very close to grabbing one of the 2.5-10x24's that I've seen on GB a few times.

You bet JCM, even a dork like me that likes so many different weapons platforms, and with being mediocre at best with any of them, good components are easy for me to recognize when they come along. wink

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have had two Razors. I still like them better than the NX8. The razor 1-10 with an offset or piggyback red dot may be the ultimate answer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you ever used that offset in a live fire situation?

MM

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just as an FYI, Palmetto State Armory has the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 on sale (ends today) for $349 when you use the promo code "strike".
I have been wondering about this very topic and after reading this thread all the way thru, decided to give the Vortex a try.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Have you ever used that offset in a live fire situation?

MM

It takes reps but i don’t think it’s a big deal. The piggy back top ring mount on a low mounted LPVO isnt that much different than running a tall mount such as a Unity or KAC. The 45 degree mounts require a little more manipulation but it’s not crazy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
MM,

I'm sick over what happened to your Marines over the last week.

Stand in the gap,

DW

This^^

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kinda surprised more people don't use occluded vision shooting at close range when using a LPVO.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MOGC
Kinda surprised more people don't use occluded vision shooting at close range when using a LPVO.

I shoot both eyes open with an LPVO at close to medium ranges.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.