ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
For boning out deer/antelope .?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using a Buck 118 for about 20 yrs for bonig. Have yet to feel any knife could do a better job.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
That is a nice looking blade .

Going to have Rainshadow's [Alex] son make me a boning knife to match my little skinner , and get Andrew Nunley to make me a matching boning knife like the skinner I got from him .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The one I've been using is 6 1/2 "
It may have lost some length to the stone
over time
The only knife I use that's shorter is for
skinning

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
5"stiff and a 6" flexible.

The flexible is Kai, and similar or more flexible than a fillet.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks guys ...

Posted by Bristoe
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
McCroskeyknives.com

I skinned and butchered 8 deer and never touched up the blades on a Trapper set....

I have all their knives, they are unbelievable!

A trapper friend of mine skinned 300 beaver with one until it needed a sharpen.

YOU will NOT be dis satisfied.

McCroskey knives make a lot of custom knives look like junk when it comes to a using knife. I skinned and boned out two bull elk with their Elk Skinner, still would shave you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used a Zero Tolerance model 301 from field dressing to cutting steaks and roasts. I forget what steel it is, but I think it's Crucible Metallurgy powdered stainless. It's a Strider Clone with a collaboration from Ken Onion.
It's only a 4" blade, but worked fine with the aggressive recurve shape. The tip is pretty broad, but being that short, it offers dexterity.
There are better blades for gutting, skinning, boning, and further processing. I like a thin high carbon short and the same for long. It doesn't matter as long as it's sharp and quality. My uncle was a famous butcher in these parts as far as butchers used to be known. He passed away and gave my Dad and me his most used tools of a lifetime. Those are my go to when not in the field. However, it was fun using a professional fighters blade for processing. It shows what can be done in real world defensive applications without harm.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 09/05/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by keith
McCroskeyknives.com

I skinned and butchered 8 deer and never touched up the blades on a Trapper set....

I have all their knives, they are unbelievable!

A trapper friend of mine skinned 300 beaver with one until it needed a sharpen.

YOU will NOT be dis satisfied.

McCroskey knives make a lot of custom knives look like junk when it comes to a using knife. I skinned and boned out two bull elk with their Elk Skinner, still would shave you!

Bullshit

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
I used a Zero Tolerance model 301 from field dressing to cutting steaks and roasts. I forget what steel it is, but I think it's Crucible Metallurgy powdered stainless. It's a Strider Clone with a collaboration from Ken Onion.
It's only a 4" blade, but worked fine with the aggressive recurve shape. The tip is pretty broad, but being that short, it offers dexterity.
There are better blades for gutting, skinning, boning, and further processing. I like a thin high carbon short and the same for long. It doesn't matter as long as it's sharp and quality. My uncle was a famous butcher in these parts as far as butchers used to be known. He passed away and gave my Dad and me his most used tools of a lifetime. Those are my go to when not in the field. However, it was fun using a professional fighters blade for processing. It shows what can be done in real world defensive applications without harm.

Moe---Ron

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ol_mike
For boning out deer/antelope .?

4.5" to 6"

The traditional boners from French and German factories are 5". What I grew up with, like the Buck 118 at 4.5", the Randall 10-5" made the DR and Forschner seem WAY too flexy and quick to dull.

When I found Makers who had realized this and were making KICK-ASS replacements I was sold...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I used to have a stiff boner... now it's more like a rubber movie prop lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Moral of the story is that you can talk to half a dozen meat cutters and get different answers on preference.
Anyone with experience can take any decent blade and get the job done. I simply enjoy rotating through the collection and putting a variety of blade shapes and steel to use.

Some have room to learn and others are too arrogant.

"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 09/09/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Moral of the story is that you can talk to half a dozen meat cutters and get different answers on preference.
Anyone with experience can take any decent blade and get the job done. I simply enjoy rotating through the collection and putting a variety of blade shapes and steel to use.

Hang some pics Bubba...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Hang some pics Bubba...

Come on, Stud - pics of boned out game...!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To be fair here...

I'm in Scotland where I was on 9/11/01...

Just like then I was culling deer and returned to Aberdeen to be faced with what had happened.

Let me tell ya..the outpouring of support, the moments of silence, the general fV(king OUTRAGE here vs the [bleep] US makes me feel both privileged for the love we've been proffered here vs the general silence and apathy in America make me cry...

Two Red Deer for our annual barbecue tonight my friends and I have had since 1987...

Attached Images
IMG_0886.jpeg (33.37 KB, 342 downloads)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To be even MORE fair...them was boned out with a Phil Wilson Fillet.....kinda cheating...!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use a 6” Forschner with the curved blade. I’ve visited a lot of butcher shops and never seen anyone using anything fancy. Usually whatever cheap boning knife they have available.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Journeyman, I have been using this knife for the last 8 years. I bone out a deer, touch up the edge, then finish it. I like the flex level. I'm interested in your comments/suggestions.

BTW, I don't have pictures of deer being processed. My hands are always a mess and I never thought anyone would find them of interest.

https://www.amazon.com/Dick-Curved-Boning-Knife-Semi-Flex/dp/B000UBB2UQ

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nothing fancy. Dexter 6" Flexible Boner

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.