Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
The most common of them all, Sceery, has been pretty good for me in mild weather. The reed for sure will freeze up when it gets cold but they're easy to change out when they crack. Ups and downs, I guess.

mtcurman made me an open reed distress and a howler which work well too, though I rarely take the open distress call anymore. For relatively inexperienced people (like myself, to an extent), the closed reed distress calls like Sceery work pretty well.

That work on black bear?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smallfry

That work on black bear?

Im gonna jump in here for Tinman till he gets back. The Jackrabbit call Sceery makes will work on black bear if you kinda scream into it instead of just blow it. No kidding.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have always been impressed with Randy Anderson's calls brought to production and promoted by Primos. KI-YI, Lil' Dog, Hot Dog. Also, have the Primos "Still" Cottontail Rabbit, Tally-Ho, Quaker Boy squeeker and of course the back of hand knuckles.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by smallfry

That work on black bear?

Im gonna jump in here for Tinman till he gets back. The Jackrabbit call Sceery makes will work on black bear if you kinda scream into it instead of just blow it. No kidding.

Is that a jackrabbit call? I’ve called in just about everything with jackrabbit calls. Bears, horse, cats, dogs & coyotes. 2 bears called in came in hot.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
That rabbit call will get interesting in bear country.grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Is Crit'R Call still in business?
Last I heard, they were down.
There's been at least one within reach for about 30 years, for me.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tjm10025: For beginner "callers" I always recommend and see/hear about great results with the Primos "Raspy Coaxer".
I have even given out several of these as gifts to new/young Hunters.
I still, often, use them after decades of using all manner of calls.
It is inexpensive and easy to learn ad comes with a built in low volume squealer option.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
This call set on Long range produces a very coarse raspy sound. I have called in a Tule Elk Bull with it, many deer, and two black bear....many hundreds of coyotes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174985198749

I have at least 100 hand calls, and this is one of the very, very best that I have ever used. This is a closed reed call, so it is easy for new people to blow, smokers, older people, etc.

One of the most exciting things a hunter can do is call in a black bear....bar none....

Remember that if you are a new caller, always start with a closed reed call, NEVER an open reed. Another thing to remember, howlers often just run coyotes off, there is a howling language you have to learn and imitate, know when to use what. Otherwise, avoid howlers.

Keith

Last edited by keith; 10/20/21.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by keith

One of the most exciting things a hunter can do is call in a black bear....bar none....

Keith

Ummm, I would argue for a pack of wolves! smile

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCS271
Originally Posted by keith

Keith

Ummm, I would argue for a pack of wolves! smile

And you are good at it! Love to see your PM hunt stories and pictures.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Wolves are smarter than a Bear, as the will leave...in a hurry!

A large black bear does not always leave, and may stalk you, especially if you are using Sardines as an attractant.

Last edited by keith; 10/23/21.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The primos Ki Yi is one of my favorite calls.Super versatile as it can be used open or closed reed and is affordable. Have even called in does by making fawn bleats with it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sharp, did you have any trouble with the reed loading up on a closed application?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.