Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I think I need a different CC/Car gun. i currently have a Kahr 9mm which i have no problems with as far as weight, looks and performance. The ONLY problem is sometimes when shooting it the magazine falls loose dropping about an1/8" rendering it a single shot. It seems that the inside of my thumb inadvertently hits the magazine release causing a 'stovepipe' or not chambering the next round if I'm not paying attention which could be bad in case of a self defense situation. I have average size hands and my fingers are not 'fat'. anything not to like about a 9mm Schield? Answers appreciated. (Happens with all magazines.)

"Lever actions, contenders, pointing dogs and
doo-wop music."
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used and or owned a 40 and 45 Shield and in my opinion they are a hell of a good compact pistol.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I purchased the 9mm shield plus.Very nice pistol IMHO.I would also look at Glock 43x.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There are no dislikes up til now.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Shield is nice. Mine was a .40 and had some recoil but a lightweight in that caliber will. It shot great. My memory is around 2” at 25 yards. I have a 43x now and like it even better and it shoots at least as well as the Shield. Can’t go wrong with either in my opinion.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I had to pick something I don't like about the Shield it would be the grip texture of the 45s (started with the 45 Shield 1.0) and all the 2.0s. It's most noticeable if you carry IWB next to the skin under a tail-out shirt, which is my normal method of summer carry for anything bigger than a pocket gun. Of course you can smooth them up yourself, which I have done. I don't consider it a deal-killer but I sure prefer the early 9/40 Shields.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The Shield (in my opinion) is one of the few designs that offer a perfect size for people that are truly looking for something that is lighter and easier to carry concealed while still affording most any handgunner a high level of shootability. I've found most people shoot the same with a Shield as they do their full size autos or at least damn close.

If it's going to sit in a center console or under the seat for the remainder of its days buy whichever best meshes with your favorite Clint Smith adage. But if you're going to train and shoot with it don't bother with anything except the 9mm.

There is an old lady at our club that shoots USPSA with a Shield anywhere from twice to four times a month. It never misses a beat.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both, in 9mm. I got the Shield because the Kahr didn't handle and shoot as well as I wanted. Almost too small, and I have small hands. No negatives to either, except size of the Kahr and the Shield is a bit difficult to rack.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve had a 9mm shield for years, but I don’t carry. It’s the one without a safety. I shoot well and it’s been 100% reliable.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Shield and my son has one. Thousands of 9mm rounds through those two guns with zero issues. It is a very shootable platform that is easy to hit with, reliable and quite accurate. At one time the first generation Shield was being sold for $299.99 at a local gunship and S&W had a $75 rebate. That had to be one of the best buy handgun deals around for a CCW and that gun shop sold a ton of those things. I ask them if they ever had any returns or complaints about the Shield and the manager told me no the things just don't mess up. That mirrors my experience too.

Last edited by MOGC; 09/04/21.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had a K9 for about as long as they've been around. No complaints about it, except that I've replaced all the thin plastic magazine bases with steel. Both the K9 and P9 are a bit more accurate in my hands than my first generation Shield, about which I also have no significant complaint. Both solid performers. A little different trigger feel, but either are easy to adapt to. The Kahrs fit more naturally in my hand and conceal slightly easier, but although I favor them, I find the differences of no real consequence - except for the usual price.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sig P365. Thank me later. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had a Shield and sold it for a Shield Plus. I also have a M&P Compact.
Shield dislike- magazine capacity, and loading the magazine
Shield Plus- magazine availability
Compact- not a thing

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pullit, which Compact do you have? I had the original Gen 1 Compact that had a 3.5" barrel and held 12 rounds. The gun was accurate and reliable but there was something about the way it felt in my hands... sorta thick and squabby. I never warmed up to that gun. When the 2.0 Compact came out I grabbed on to a 4" 2.0 and it feels like it was carved to fit my hand exactly. My Glock 19 is somewhere in the back of the safe and the 2.0 Compact is always near to hand. In fact, honestly I carry it more than I do the Shield. My wife likes the Shield best and I'm happy to let her have it as the 2.0 Compact is my favorite.

I had a Kahr K9 with night sights that I carried for a time. It was a pretty good gun, a little finicky about feeding hollowpoints. The old Federal 9BP 115 standard Hi Shok was about the only ammo that Kahr ran 100%. I swapped it away on something or other and don't miss it. I actually found a magazine for the K9 the other day laying in a box of odd and ends.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve had the Shield 9 first generation for quite a while. I have good size hands and find the ergonomics great. It hasn’t missed a beat in however many years it’s been. And the accuracy is consistently respectable. I carry it a lot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

If it's going to sit in a center console or under the seat for the remainder of its days buy whichever best meshes with your favorite Clint Smith adage. But if you're going to train and shoot with it don't bother with anything except the 9mm.

Aren't you the guy who bought a 5 shot 44 Special GP100 instead of a more modern, higher capacity 9×33R?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know a LEO that carries a Shield 45 when off duty and he says he likes it better than the Shield 40 and the recoil isnt bad

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Too fat and too heavy for pocket carry. Certainly wouldn't be my choice for car gun. Concealable with a holster, but then so is nearly every other pistol that offers a heck of a lot more firepower.
A great gun for the 9mm man-boys who want a range gun they can dream of carrying concealed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jericho
I know a LEO that carries a Shield 45 when off duty and he says he likes it better than the Shield 40 and the recoil isnt bad

It isn't bad. I shot and carried 230 +P HST in mine and the Shield was noticeably more comfortable than the G30s I've owned.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For micros I have a Kahr CW9, a first gen Shield 9, an SA XDs .45, and a Sig P365. All have been reliable. The Sig is what I carry, mainly for the ergos and capacity. I put a red dot sight on it and use the 12 round mags.
I have rather large hands and I found the grip on the Shield to be a bit narrow for me.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.