Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I've decided to add a quality AR (my first AR) to go with my rifles and handguns. This will be a 16" general use gun for range, plinking, and another layer of home defense. Quality parts, accuracy, soft shooting, and reliability are what I'm looking for, and I'm okay with spending the money since I typically try to buy quality over going cheap. I'll either buy one already built or buy a quality upper and add a lower and a good trigger like a LaRue.

Here's the complete builds I'm looking at:

Wilson Protector S carbine, 5.56 Nato, 1-8 tw, match barrel, on sale for $1537.

Geissele Super Duty, 5.56 Nato, 1-7 tw, on sale for $1600.

Here's the uppers I'm considering:

Compass Lake Tacticle Upper, Krieger barrel, .223 Wylde, 1-7.7 tw, adj gas block, $1070

BCM Enhanced Light Weight Upper. 5.56 Nato, 1-7 tw, BCM bcg, $1026

So, any recommendations as to which of these options is the best way to go? Thanks.

ARIC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pros /cons for all of them relative to each other, & they are all good, but for my money, hands down, the Compass Lake upper on a quality lower gets the nod, but I'd likely choose the Bartlien barrel over the Krieger, & if you want to save a few bucks, go with the Douglas or Criterion barrel option...................all assuming that you can live with a stainless barre (no mag dumps).

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you buy a quality BCG for the CL upper I’d assume they’ll all be soft shooting, and reliable. How much accuracy you need will probably be your determining factor.

The BCM will probably be the least accurate, but the lightest.
The Geissele will be excellent. Mine and a friends are both 2moa for 10 shots, fwiw.
If you get the CL be sure to buy a quality BCG for it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks both for the feedback.

Bluedreaux, if I end up going the CLE route, can you recommend any specific BCGs that I should look for to go with it? I appreciate any advice. Thanks again.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Pros /cons for all of them relative to each other, & they are all good, but for my money, hands down, the Compass Lake upper on a quality lower gets the nod, but I'd likely choose the Bartlien barrel over the Krieger, & if you want to save a few bucks, go with the Douglas or Criterion barrel option...................all assuming that you can live with a stainless barre (no mag dumps).

MM

Good info. I wonder where TWR is? He's had a lot of good ar's. I'd just say buy a Stag or M&P or Colt and run the chidt out of it. I highly doubt anyone here, that is not a high volume shooter or competitive shooter, would wear out a good AR or even a run of the mill AR like the ones I mention. I've put 1,000's of rounds on some of mine, some 300-500+ rounds in a weekend, always inspect them and clean them well. They still, for the most part, look like new and never have a hiccup of any kind... One thing I will say is if you don't research it very well, and even then, that first AR ends up being something entirely different than what you really end up wanting or needing. I have a buddy that that happened to. He researched the hell out of it and ended up buying a RRA because guys were saying they were great rifles. He bought it used it and decided he hates it. He later found that out after buying a national match bushmaster that was made in the clinton era. Its an A2 rifle without the flash hider or bayonet lug and he loves that rifle. I also didn't like the first AR I bought, but still have it. It was an 18" barreled rifle and it was obnoxious to shoot. Different strokes for different folks, as they say... The rifle that I love is a 20" barreled rifle, has a rifle length gas system and it is the smoothest softest shooting AR I've ever had. Now most of what I have is in that configuration because it agrees with my style of shooting. Good luck to the OP and let us know in a few years if you still have the rifle you buy this time and how you progress.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m so far out of the AR world these days that I really don’t know what to recommend.

For me, I’m still very attached to Colt but I haven’t seen a new one to know if they’re still built the same.

I also like Sionics, I don’t have a complete gun but have a couple of their chrome lined pencil barrels and some small parts, very pleased with them.

I will say back when I chased accuracy, the CLE Krieger barrel I had was the most accurate barrel I’ve seen. But it also had the tightest chamber I’ve seen as well and I had to keep cases separated. Not what I want to deal with on a GP carbine.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I think it comes down to accuracy requirements vs weight. I have no doubt the CLE will be the most accurate but I bet it’s the heaviest. I’ve had several lightweight BCM’s and have been happy. All that said, the Geissele is probably the best of the group.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weight.

You don't want it.

I also bought the RR cool aid.
Can't complain about the gun at all.

The guy who bought it didn't know what he wanted, or was buying.
Older gun with a quad rail, it's heavy!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
I will say back when I chased accuracy, the CLE Krieger barrel I had was the most accurate barrel I’ve seen. But it also had the tightest chamber I’ve seen as well and I had to keep cases separated. Not what I want to deal with on a GP carbine.
The OP may want to consider something from White Oak as well. Their match chambers are a touch looser than CLE, but still tighter than more commercial producers. I prefer CLE's gassing, however, but that's talking heavy barrels.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Get that one.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktails
Bluedreaux, if I end up going the CLE route, can you recommend any specific BCGs that I should look for to go with it? I appreciate any advice. Thanks again.

I'd look for SOLGW, Sionics, or BCM. I'd be happy with any of the three and would make my decision based on availability and price.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Colt 6920. Look at one, read up on it a bit a bit, buy it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you decide on a Geiselle SD.

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/...e-16-5-56-nitride-barrel-prod141633.aspx

Use the coupon code and save $80.00 and free shipping (Luna black listed for $1,599.99 before the discount).

Me personally, I'd be looking for a SOLGW.

For starters:

https://www.bigtexordnance.com/product/solgw-m4-exo2-m-lok-rifle-16-black-sons-of-liberty-gunworks/

Watch their videos on YouTube.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one of each of those. If the price difference is only $120, I'd definitely get the Geissele. And I'm a big SOLGW fan. The trigger and Warcomp are worth 3X that price difference. And the rail is probably better, too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd want 18" Rifle Gas and the LEAST amount of fhuqking Fluff. Mainly because I actually shoot. Hint.

AR's ain't tender,no matter what the Tinder Tribe tries to relate. Hint.

Get One On the Way RINK

Fhuqk it...buy (3) and dabble sighting systems. Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Use the coupon code and save $80.00 and free shipping (Luna black listed for $1,599.99 before the discount).

What coupon code ?

Retired cat herder.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I have one of each of those. If the price difference is only $120, I'd definitely get the Geissele. And I'm a big SOLGW fan. The trigger and Warcomp are worth 3X that price difference. And the rail is probably better, too.

Good catch, I didn't notice the SOLGW didn't come with their NOX. Both of mine came with NOX and both have upgraded triggers. That Geissele SD looks to be a good buy with the discount and "free" shipping.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

What coupon code ?

Look just below the header on that page: "LSA = free shipping on $200.00+. LSB = $30.00 off of $300.00+ and free shipping. LSC= $80.00 off of $800.00+ and free shipping"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I quit learning about those things when I turned my -16A1 in a long time ago. Thing that puzzles me these days is the fascination with short barrels. Velocity God smiles if you add another 4” of barrel and your ears might benefit a bit as well.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a very nice RPG (Ritche's Precision Guns) 20 Practical with a 24" barrel that is extremely accurate. I'm not an AR guy and wouldn't have bought it but I won it at a shooting match. Trigger is great and very accurate with just about anything I feed it. It is about the most awkward gun I've ever used, I didn't like how an AR felt when I was in Vietnam and they haven't gotten any better. Seeing as I won it and would never get rid of it(it's serial # is the Name of the match) I did want to make it into a viable hunting rifle. I did swap out the 20P upper for a 16" 223 upper with a full length hand guard, wish I would have gotten a side chargers. It is now handy to use, still awkward but workable. It shoots 62gr SP's and 52gr HP's very nicely. I did enjoy the 20P enough that I built two bolt actions in that caliber.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 09/05/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
87 members (308ld, 35, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.