Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That's another of those unsung beauties Loggah! Neat period piece influenced by that California look with deep Teutonic engraving.

Don, do you remember the Counsellor pulling into the gravel drive at Jed's in his red Toyota Celica and popping the hatchback to reveal a load of custom 99 and other assorted rifles at the first Fest? I remember thinking who is this guy? That was the first time I met Mark aka Vigillinus.

I must be getting old - recalling ghosts and empties.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Bert, I sure do! i had a 99T in 250-3000 that he wanted pretty bad,said it was Griffin & Howe work. Someone here had a picture of his trunk with the custom rifles in it.LBK,Rick maybe.Don

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
IIRC, Blitz may have posted a similar at one time.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've got the pics from the first fest somewhere. When I find them I'll repost the trunk pic.

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I forgot I had posted the pics from the 2006 Fest on my website. Here are the URL's:

http://www.olscool.com/SavageFest2006/SavageFest2006.htm

http://www.olscool.com/SavageFest2006-2/SavageFest2006-2.htm

The second link has the "trunk" picture. I've got the original pictures somewhere, gotta dig through my archives to find them.

Enjoy!

Blitz

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Actually, there is a close up of the trunk in the first link.

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for posting Blitz

I see the pig rifle, any contact with LRF lately?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks so much for reposting those Blitz.

What a wonderful introduction to the world of Savage rifles and gun collectors!

The Mark's custom 99s (not cross referenced to the auction linked above):

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jed displaying the Pig Gun for Mark's (in the red shirt) consideration with Lulu, Jed, and Steve99. Me? I'm hiding behind Mark making mental notes:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thanks again. With the borders closed one can only dream of seeing that many extraordinary pieces again. Cheers!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lynn (LRF) is mainly on the Single Shot and Custom Gun forum of the DoublegunBBS. He's scratch-building a custom Dutch Mannlicher in the English custom gun builder's style which by judging from his step-by-step pics will simply be to die for.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hi Joe! Thanks for your input as your Post above reacting to my critical critique concerning wisdom of using a Savage Model 1920 as basis for customization/adornment. Quoting your comment: “I can only fall back on the John Madole engraved Savage 219, and what he purportedly said when asked why he did such work on that rifle. Paraphrasing, he said, "Did Da Vinci ask the canvas if it wanted him to paint the Mona Lisa on it".
My own “Err… What the heck does that paraphrase mean?” Net, two observations.

First. The instance of his selecting the Model 219 and of later uttering nonsensical justification. Suggesting perhaps under influence of the same ‘judgment impairing substance’ as selecting the 219 to bestow the work as post-justification logic holiday! smile Second. My analogy. If another to use DiVinci, I’ll use Rodan! “The Thinker” his great sculpture, magnificent capture of human form. Seated ‘upon underlying object, a rock’. Notably, not ensconced ‘upon the latrine’! Thus, ‘net’ achieving… “The Thinker” rather than... “The Stinker! smile

I own both several Models 20, one 20/26 and a Model 219 in 30-30 Win. I acquired and appreciate these rifles ‘for era reflected and what they are now. There’s a certain classic virtue to such utility guns. Such my opinion, where both of these Savage rifles place. Adornment, can indeed produce beautiful results. But, aesthetics for me inseparable from underlying utility of function; the 'net', integral. Such vision, perhaps my weakness!
The answer to a lot of seeming discordant artistic works. "Why”, about the same as today. ‘Commissioned by someone prepared to pay for it!’

No intent that any owner's feelings harmed in the production of this work!
Just my take smile smile smile
Best!
John

Attached Images
The Thinker - Rodan.jpg (5.81 KB, 125 downloads)
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
John, your post gives food for thought.

What we don't know is whether there were any modifications made on the internal parts or the action that would not be immediately visible to the naked eye.

I strongly suspect that John Rigby & Co., being rifle makers of notable standard and well versed in customizing Mauser rifles, had a few ideas of how the Savage Model 1920 would benefit from improvements. A modified trigger is the first place that I would believe that Rigby would start in the smithing project. That's where I would start if I were to customize a 1920 even before considering restocking, engraving or other embellishments.

The current owner is the only one who knows for sure. Just my two cents worth.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The thinker !! circa 2005 during the vault build ! grin

[Linked Image from pbase.com]

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well if I ever get lucky enough to draw a moose tag I hope to scratch my head in that place.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Speaking of customs (99's), and One-of a-Kinds (Loggah!)!

Does anyone have a better side-on photo of these two (on the left, from Jed's Fest) short-side-panel custom 99s? I'm trying to mimic them for one of our esteemed Brethren!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JeffG; 11/21/21.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Incredible pics of custom guns. Thanks for posting these.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Loggah
I have a custom 1920 in 300 savage, its a "NO NAME" job but still nice.

thats nice Don

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It is pretty nice, the safety has me stumped, the safety thumbpiece and the piece it slides in are wider then any others i have seen. I have several other 1920, 20-26 rifles and the safetys are all narrower. Don

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I viewed a M1920 .250-3000 30 years ago owned by the BIL of the girl I was living with at the time, which was completely adorned with fine scroll engraving and wore a pretty English walnut stock . His grand dad had it done a bazillion years ago. The gun, if he still has it, is now somewhere in New Hampshire or Vermont (c'mon, I lost track of him 25 years ago and I don't remember which state he moved to upon leaving the wilds of suburban Connecticut). I was almost too bashful to show him the plain-Jane M1920 .250 I was campaigning at the time. If that gun ever came on the market up there it would/would've been on the radar of you New England boys.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 3,259 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.