Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Dinny
Originally Posted by Ky221
My third 35 Rem rifle was just finished. It's a Win M70 Featherweight with a Sako extractor. I recently loaded some of the (350 Legend) Hornady 165gr FTX bullets with LVR powder. It shoots very well and the bullets maintain 75% of their weight after penetrating 13" of wet newspaper and a piece of 1/2" plywood. My MV is 2393fps. One of these days I'll get a 336 too.
Thanks, Dinny

Any particular reason as to the 35 in a bolt gun? I have a 35 in a 336 so I'm not at all throwing shade on the round; but it does seems kinda odd to have a bolt gun chambered for the cartridge, a 70 FWT no less.

Kinda like buying a thoroughbred racehorse horse, to lead kids on at the petting zoo.

Because I can spend my money on whatever I want. I already have rifles chambered in 357 Max, 358 Win, and 35 Whelen.

Thanks, Dinny

Bout what I figured....no logical reasoning and a snarky answer.

One more for the ignore button 😎

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My third 35 Rem rifle was just finished. It's a Win M70 Featherweight with a Sako extractor. I recently loaded some of the (350 Legend) Hornady 165gr FTX bullets with LVR powder. It shoots very well and the bullets maintain 75% of their weight after penetrating 13" of wet newspaper and a piece of 1/2" plywood. My MV is 2393fps. One of these days I'll get a 336 too.
Thanks, Dinny

Any particular reason as to the 35 in a bolt gun? I have a 35 in a 336 so I'm not at all throwing shade on the round; but it does seems kinda odd to have a bolt gun chambered for the cartridge, a 70 FWT no less.

Kinda like buying a thoroughbred racehorse horse, to lead kids on at the petting zoo.

Because I can spend my money on whatever I want. I already have rifles chambered in 357 Max, 358 Win, and 35 Whelen.

Thanks, Dinny

You might need to put yourself on ignore. You crapped on Dinny's idea then took offence to his straight forward response.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Starbuck
I've had a Marlin 35 rem pre cross bolt safety for quite some time. It is a deer thumper, that's for sure. Anyone who argues that smaller calibers have equal efficacy on big game hasn't had much experience with the mild 35 rem. Haven't yet had the chance to take larger game with one, but I have carried it while hunting elk in the timber. Someday.

Currently mine has a vintage Leupold 1-4 gloss scope that has recently gone TU, so I'm searching for a gloss replacement. Not sure what direction to go. Gloss scopes can be hard to come by these days. I've heard Leupold has been shifting towards replace instead of repair, and I really don't care to mount any current production Leupolds on it.

I have a bunch of the Buffalo Bore +p 220 grn loads for it, and my particular Marlin loves them. It actually shoots the 220 grn Speers very well at lesser velocities as well. I've found the 220 Speer to be a great bullet all around for the 35 rem; I've also used them in my BLR 358 with great results. And they're usually pretty cheap to obtain.

I've corresponded with Bear Creek, who tells me they are working on a 220 grain 35 bullet suitable for the 35 Rem. They specialize in bullets for older/obsolete guns and their coating is top notch. They also offer custom sizing. If/when I get some in hand and tested, y'all will hear about it. I don't have a scope on the old straight grip Ballard SRC, but will be able to tell if they shoot on par with Hornady's rubber-nose factory load or my Sierra 200 grain reload- both plenty accurate for 200 yard shooting.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
https://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=46

I killed a doe with these bullets last year. MV=1100fps. She didn't run more than 30yds before expiring.

Last edited by Dinny; 05/30/21.

Medics bury their mistakes..
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks, Dinny

Thanks, Dinny

Don't be rilin' up ole Dinny. He's a prickly one! He'll be eatin' yer lunch before long!

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dinny, how about some pictures of the M70 FWT in 35REM?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Winchester used to make the M70 (pre-war) in .35 Remington, so it's not unheard of. Remington has made the M30 in .35, and you could get Custom Shop Model Sevens in .35, too (not to forget the old Model 600s, as well). A good boltgun in .35 was appreciated back then, and not so long ago, either.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Kimber made a limited run of bolt action 35REMs but I have never seen one in the flesh

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have several Marlins in 35 REM. I’m sold on the caliber…Where I hunt deer, to me, it is a perfect choice.

I got a deal on a Remington model 7 in 243 and since I already have a rifle in 243, I thought I’d have a 35 Remington built on that action. I can’t see a down side to it at all. I just hope the Model 7 in 35 REM shoots as good as the Marlin 336’s I have.

Harry
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mathsr

I got a deal on a Remington model 7 in 243 and since I already have a rifle in 243, I thought I’d have a 35 Remington built on that action. I can’t see a down side to it at all. I just hope the Model 7 in 35 REM shoots as good as the Marlin 336’s I have.

Find a spare .223 Rem barrel and send it off to JES for a 35 Rem rebore. Mine shot incredibly well! I just wish the Win Model 70 I had built in 35 Rem shot the 200gr FTXs as well.

Thanks, Dinny

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
It's a hell of a cartridge, 220gr Speers at 2175 fps over Leverevolution powder is a real barn burner that i'd use on any game animal in the U.S. inside 200 yards, when i get these shot up, i'll go to the 180gr Speer, those bullets are harder and tougher than a whores heart.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mathsr

Find a spare .223 Rem barrel and send it off to JES for a 35 Rem rebore. Mine shot incredibly well! I just wish the Win Model 70 I had built in 35 Rem shot the 200gr FTXs as well.

Thanks, Dinny

Sounds like a good idea! I'm going to check with my gunsmith to see what he might have on hand.

Harry
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Blackheart
You still run into hunters using .35's in the Adirondacks and Catskills occasionally. I had one many years ago and was somewhat underwhelmed with it's performance after a few seasons. I had read for years how it was much more effective on deer sized game than my old faithful .30-30 and simply did not find that to be the case. With .30-30 ammo being much more available and about half the price of .35's, I sent it down the road.

That’s interesting, as I have found that the .35 gives a bit better blood trail than does my .30-30. Really doesn’t matter, as I hunt a lot with both. Perhaps it is just where I’m hitting them?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Just bought a brand new 336 in 35Rem. I haven't hunted with it yet but am itching to give it a go.

Not all that common a cartridge here but I understand that it's used for deer hunting in our southern states.

I've shot the Leverevolution 200gn at the range and accuracy is outstanding. 3 shots in half an inch at 100yds! I let the barrel cool and shot another rifle, then back to the 336, and next 2 shots also in half inch but inch and a half from the first group.

I've since learned that it prefers the front mag cap screw and band screw to be loose-ish otherwise it strings vertically. The forend is still tight and I think that contributes to the stringing but doesn't help to remove the foreend and mag tube - wouldn't normally shoot it this way anyway though.

Even with pistol bullets it shoots well. I'll let the forend loosen naturally though.

I'd previouly used a 357mag on roos out to 70yds and that was very effective. The 35Rem should be even better. Pigs beware!
Its a solid cartridge. Handloading or factory ammo it’s a solid cartridge. You can also get good results with cast bullets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smallfry
Just bought a brand new 336 in 35Rem. I haven't hunted with it yet but am itching to give it a go.

Not all that common a cartridge here but I understand that it's used for deer hunting in our southern states.

I've shot the Leverevolution 200gn at the range and accuracy is outstanding. 3 shots in half an inch at 100yds! I let the barrel cool and shot another rifle, then back to the 336, and next 2 shots also in half inch but inch and a half from the first group.

I've since learned that it prefers the front mag cap screw and band screw to be loose-ish otherwise it strings vertically. The forend is still tight and I think that contributes to the stringing but doesn't help to remove the foreend and mag tube - wouldn't normally shoot it this way anyway though.

Even with pistol bullets it shoots well. I'll let the forend loosen naturally though.

I'd previouly used a 357mag on roos out to 70yds and that was very effective. The 35Rem should be even better. Pigs beware!
Its a solid cartridge. Handloading or factory ammo it’s a solid cartridge. You can also get good results with cast bullets.

Yep

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thanks, Dinny

Thanks, Dinny

I considered having one built on a Model 7 Stock/Action.

But then I also like the idea of it's cousin the .358 Win built on on a Model 7 Stock/Action.....and a .338 Federal built on a Model 7 Stock/Action. So many cartridges...so little time LOL
I just like the Model 7 compactness.

How long is the barrel on your new .35 Rem? Sounds like a sweet gun to me. Personally I don't care much about resale value on guns I don't intend to sell. If I have something built it is because it is something I WANT and I don't care what anybody thinks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have my father's old 336 SC in 35 Rem. I think he bought it new in 1952. I have not shot it in years, but in the latter years of his life I loaded some cast 148 gr semi wadcutters so he could shoot it with almost no recoil. I don't remember the charge but it was 2400 powder. He really liked it after I put a Lyman receiver sigt on it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The son of a person where I used to hunt had a Pre-64, Model 70 in 35 Rem as his "hunting" gu.
Least number produced of any caliber they made.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Both my Rem Model 7 and my Win Model 70 had/have 22" barrels.

Thanks, Dinny

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
'63 Rem 760.
Magic friggin wand in the deer woods

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.