Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If you perceive those two as being equally loud than I'd suspect that's an enormously overgassed setup.

11.5-12.5 middy's are pretty sweet suppressed.

Short barrels can get quiet when the gas is under control.
Even 10.5s can sound good with the right gas port-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzRQJJG9WBs

Edit- here's ray metering a 15db diff at se purely due to gas port- size.
https://youtu.be/l870SkASH5Y

Last edited by CaptArab; 08/05/21.
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by shootem
Now regarding the 13.7 specifically- it's pretty dumb.
A 16" barrel with can direct threaded is nearly the exact same length as the 13.7 + insanely long and heavy deadair keymo

Doesn’t matter what you do to to the 16”’ because you can do the same thing to the 13.7”. The shorter barrel is going to be over 2” shorter anyway.

Well duh, but you're ignoring the actual setup lotsa people buy a 13.7 for- solgw nox + deadair keymo silencer.

The keymo adds lots of length and weight, essentially invalidating the gains of having a < 16".

Now if you want to just run an SBR or pistol and like the compromises a 13.7 offers, go for it.

But it's not like you're saving length / weight over a 16 when you could just run a shorter can / mount anyhow.

That was the point I tried to make.

Maybe it makes sense for folks with sandman's that can't change out the adapter from keymo . . . Shoot I'd probably be talked into one if I had a sandman k.

I have a direct threaded turbo k on my 16" - adds just over 4" past the muzzle and weighs just a pinch more than the nox by itself for a handy field rifle.

Last edited by CaptArab; 08/05/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Capt',

You SWEET Talkin' SOB...everyone KNOWS an 18" Rifle Gasser is MY Favorite. Hint.(grin)

Now back to the Pistole Brace Fhuqktitude. A 16" RIFLE is an easy fhuqking choice,over ALL things Krunchenticker Pistole. Doubly so,if one is fretting it actually being used in Defense. The RoboCop Bullschit is a fhuqking farce and using a sock as a glove,is even dumber than it fhuqking sounds. Hint.

I find it an interesting "stance",to schlep a Wagon Load of STUPID(Braced 13.7" or other "Pistole"),over a 16" rugged/reliable REAL rifle. How/why folks "get" there,remain a Mystery to me. I can see it(shorter barrel lengths) in SBR,but not in Barbie Doll Bullschit,especially as Defense. Hint.

Fretting less than 3" of barrel,for curtailing a Riot within a Soccer Mom Bitch Mobile,just "MIGHT" be fhuqking humorous!?! Pass the Grock and hold The Fluff. Hint.

Here's hoping the OP's Woketitude,simply dissipates and Reality returns. Hint.

Laughing!....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by CaptArab
If you perceive those two as being equally loud than I'd suspect that's an enormously overgassed setup.

11.5-12.5 middy's are pretty sweet suppressed.

Short barrels can get quiet when the gas is under control.
Even 10.5s can sound good with the right gas port-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzRQJJG9WBs

Edit- here's ray metering a 15db diff at se purely due to gas port- size.
https://youtu.be/l870SkASH5Y

It may be as you say, I'm not well versed on the issues of cans and semi auto gas settings and I certainly haven't fiddled with anything (the truth is that the Sandman is from my bolt rifles). I should prolly learn more about the gas part of the equation, especially since I have a YHM Turbo about ready to be sprung from jail and it will be the designated AR can. Thanks for the heads up.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I handled a 13.7 and 16 with identical muzzle devices today. The difference is noticeable in the hand. For the same reason a 16 is handier than an 18. That being said, it really doesn’t make a lot of sense for most folks.

As for the OP, when I hear “urban carbine” I think being in and out of vehicles a lot and enough accuracy to hit 8” targets at 200 yards, but most of the shots being 35-75 yards. There’s no reason to go longer than 11.5 with a dot for that.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I handled a 13.7 and 16 with identical muzzle devices today. The difference is noticeable in the hand. For the same reason a 16 is handier than an 18. That being said, it really doesn’t make a lot of sense for most folks.

As for the OP, when I hear “urban carbine” I think being in and out of vehicles a lot and enough accuracy to hit 8” targets at 200 yards, but most of the shots being 35-75 yards. There’s no reason to go longer than 11.5 with a dot for that.

You grasp the meaning of my words. Thank you for not veering off into the land of SBRs and fixed stock rifles. That has nothing to do with my intent or questions.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootem

You grasp the meaning of my words. Thank you for not veering off into the land of SBRs and fixed stock rifles. That has nothing to do with my intent or questions.
You mean Stinky is an expert on urban settings? LOL! Guy is a fugging tard!

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I musta' overlooked,where anyone even began to hint at a fixed stock?!? Hint. Pun be intended. Re-hint.

Reality is,there's no way to talk a Faux SBR(Pistole) purty,if only due the simplistic facts that they are a series of concessions,that eek no goody. Hint.

'Course I do not begin to understand the Phobia(s) which fuel the path to begin with. Though I'll happily defer Trybone her due,in besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,she just also "happens" to be a Lying/Thieveing Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

What were the "odds"? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL! Fug Stick, try as you might you are just a broke stick MFer who doesn't even know how to scope an AR. LOL! laugh laugh laugh

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Should have been “butt stock”. But who cares. Some opinions remain irrelevant. hint 😂 laffin’

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I’m done. Let this thread be officially declared totally foolish. As the current yutes say Peace…out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TryBone,

How come ALL of your Outdoor Photos,were taken by me...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.......................

'tem,

But you were doing "GREAT" with Faux SBR,on your way to The Riots. Hint.

Laughing!................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fug Stick, you never fail to make yourself look stupid. Most people feel embarrassment when they post stupid schitt, like that AR setup of yours, but that is sorely lacking in you. Maybe you are just too stupid to feel embarrassment.

I guess it's a good thing you don't hide your stupidity so everyone knows what they are dealing with in you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TryBone,

You are of course welcome to your Delusions and fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

No need to cite that all you can do is guess,as such things are more than a "touch" transparent. Pardon wares that exist,as you "get" to set on your Couchbound Kchunt,read my EVERY word and gawk(steal) The Splendid Pixels. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

How much velocity does the .223/5.56 retain when fired from a 13.7" barrel?

*No one is fooling anyone one with the wrist braces. I've yet to see a shooter really practice shooting an AR-15 handgun one handed with the pistol brace wrapped around his wrist. I've seen quite a few guys strap the AR-15 handgun to their wrist and empty a magazine into a paper target. However, when moving through a course of fire, engaging friendlies and bad guys they all shouldered the wrist brace utilizing it as a butt stock. These AR-15 "handguns" are really SBRs.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Why not a 7.62x39?? Get it in a 10.5" and suppress it. Cheap, plentiful ammo, more energy. If you aren't looking to poke past 300yds, def worth a look.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For in and out of vehicles the shorter barrel absolutely makes a difference. Not enough velocity lost to be an issue at "urban" distance.

I went with an 11.5 barrel just because the 10.5 is a little harder on parts and a little more finicky.

In urban environments mag capacity is a consideration. A blackout is certainly viable, especially with a can. Either way the handier it is, and the more familiar you are with it, the better you'll do under pressure.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

My notes are at work but I'll find it and get back.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Wrestling with my next pistol: build another AR or buy a Galil ACE or AKM-P…..either in 7.62x39. A 123-154gr 30 @ 2k-ish isn’t gonna have much competition from any 5.56 at urban ranges and rcp distances and uses. Leaning towards non-AR, just because of folding length, and reliability with the x39 vs an AR. Mini dot or irons is plenty, and I’d want to can it, so would need an adjustable piston or gas block, either way. Ruled out another AAC…. Just not worth the AMMO hassle or cost right now, and most any x39 load has more juice anyway. Nothing ‘wrong’ with a 11.5” 5.56…..but not much ideal about it vs other stuff, either. Just my internal arguments on it. $ vs ease vs better mousetrap in a pistol?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

My notes are at work but I'll find it and get back.

2400fps with 75grain Gold Dot. That’s all I’ve chrono’d in it.

With the same ammo we got 2300 from 11.5” and 2500 from 16” barrels.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.