Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lee11b Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have a Stainless Steel Savage 110 "Weather Warrior" in 30-06. It has the accu-trigger and accu-stock. Due to the current Covid Crap, I was wondering if I could switch to a 6.5 Creedmoor set up. It is a lefty bolt action. I know it would be easier if it was 308, because of the shorter bolt action. Mine is the trap door model. Any thoughts?? I have an interested party in the 30-06 config it's in now. I just love shooting the 6.5mm Creedmoor so much more. Thanks for any input.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Sell it and buy you a 6.5 Creed.

It’d be one thing if you wanted to convert to a 6.5x55, but turning a long action 30-06 action into something for short action 6.5 Creed?? Nah....

Or think about a 6.5 PRC....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
FFS

L
Lee11b Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I already have 2 Creeds......just like stainless barrels. I was figuring the long to short would complicate things. That 30-06 SS lefty was a b-day gift to me years ago. I love the look of the rifle, but my shoulder doesn't appreciate the recoil anymore. Lefties are harder to come by now. My dominate eye is my left, BUT the Army taught me to be accurate with my right.
I have a buddy that has a 6.5 PRC and loves it!!! I just don't want to get into another rifle caliber especially at these scandemic prices. Thanks for the input.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
6.5-284...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’m a lefty but right eye dominant. I was lucky to have an Uncle into shooting that realized my dominant eye and got me to shoot right handed as a kid. It’s second nature now and kept a whole lot more options open.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So many choices!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
Lee11b Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
[size:14pt][/size]. I've got a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor in the "Go Wild" camo edition with the burnt bronze cerekote. It has a Mag-pul stock on it.

The latest was another Savage- Precision (not Elite Precision....couldn't get myself to pay 1k more for that SS barrel). It's in FDE, 24" threaded, fluted barrel. It has that all aluminum chassie. I know, I should have bought a Tikka 6.5mm Creedmoor in stainless, but I really like the threaded barrel option.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
So many choices!

I’m pretty sure being a left eye dominant shooter must suck! Not a lot of choices at all.

L
Lee11b Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
[size:14pt][/size]Most rifles, left eye dominance is not a huge factor. I can cycle a bolt, it's just harder to keep the eye on target. As I've aged, my right eye seems to have better clarity. Sometimes, I will shoot a rifle right handed. I'm completely screwed up. I write with my right, but throw with my left. I remember the first time I did a weapons qual with my M-4, and I decided to shoot left. They had us crammed on the range (Clinton's cut backs). I had hot brass from the too close right shooter to my left hit my neck and roll down into my shirt.... I was not a happy camper!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lee11b
[size:14pt][/size]Most rifles, left eye dominance is not a huge factor. I can cycle a bolt, it's just harder to keep the eye on target. As I've aged, my right eye seems to have better clarity. Sometimes, I will shoot a rifle right handed. I'm completely screwed up. I write with my right, but throw with my left. I remember the first time I did a weapons qual with my M-4, and I decided to shoot left. They had us crammed on the range (Clinton's cut backs). I had hot brass from the too close right shooter to my left hit my neck and roll down into my shirt.... I was not a happy camper!!!!

Same here. I write left handed but play guitar right. I can’t imagine living in a country with the wheel on the other side and working a stick shift left handed. I generally shoot with both eyes open and can shoot left handed but am slower doing it. Being a lefty in a right handed world is a mixed bag for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have done this but to a 6.5x55 Swede. Easy enough to do of you have the headspace gauges, a torque wrench, and a good vice.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
L
Lee11b Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
[size:14pt][/size]That Savage SS 30-06, is the only lefty I have ever owned. I have adapted and overcame, but I have always enjoyed having a rifle made for me. Over the years, the 6.5mm Creedmoor has became my favorite rifle cartridge. With the right muzzle brake, that 6.5mm shoots almost as easy as .223 (5.56mm for you government employees.....lol). Every time I let one of my buddies shoot my Creedmoor, they become hooked!!!! I had a really good friend of mine sell his beloved 308 and all its ammo after he shot my Creed.
I'm a gun nut, I will always have my 308s, 30-06 Garand- it's the greatest battle implement ever invented!!!!- Gen. PATTON. 22s, 223s or 5.56s, 17 HMR, 44 Magnum, 8mm Mauser....then along came the 6.5 Creedmoor. I said I would not own another different rifle cartridge.....then I shot the 6.5 Creedmoor. I've never fired a 6.5 in an AR-10 or semi auto chassis.....who knows that may be my next purchase. A 6.5mm upper for an AR-10 lower I already own......decisions......decisions......LOL

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
6.5-06, 25-06?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It’s an easy cartridge to like. My only 6.5CM is factory out of the box other than a Grayboe A5 profile stock factory heavy barreled Rem 700 action. It shoots most commercial 140ish grain ammo to about 0.5 MOA five round groups out to 300 yards (the furthest I can shoot at my home range).

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It's not a problem to do but it might not feed well. Chances are it'll feed fine though, you won't know until you try it.

Call northland shooters supply and get a criterion pre-chambered barrel in 6.5 creedmoor in the contour you want. It's a 10 minute barrel swap with the right tools. You don't really need a headspace gauge, a piece of brass will do fine. I'll get called a heretic from the crowd that'll swear you'll blow yourself up without a headspace gauge but I've done probably a dozen with and without the headspace gauges and it's not really needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
simple fix with a savage barrel nut. 15-20 minutes its done. i've done many. its best to do it with headspace gauges. there used to be a member out west somewhere that usually had savage factory barrels for sale because he bought new savage rifles to build on. i bought a few from him a few years back but i can't remember his name. i've done some short action calibers on long bolted savages and they always fed good

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My first Savage was a 30-06 that I bought used for $150. A buddy had lost interest , "It kicks too much and isn't accurate".

A barrel cleaning and a recoil pad and it shot great but I wanted a 22-250AI so I spun that barrel on the 30-06 action.

Why not, The action is longer than needed but so what?

A buddy is still shooting that rifle as a 6.5x284 Norma. I've lost track of all the barrels I experimented with on that action...

You could put a filler in the magazine box if needed but I didn't, I used it as a switch barrel rifle.

Northland is a good place to order a barrel but you will need to know which barrel diameter you have, Large or Small.

You'll need a headspace gauge, a wrench for the barrel nut and a barrel vice or I made a wrench to fit the recoil lug which is sooo much easier.

Watch some youtube videos and have fun,.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

T
Online Content
T
I have the older lefty 100, I converted it to 6.5-06 and love it. I also have a 1900 6.5x55 96/38 that I made into my every day hunter. The 06 brass is easy to neck down , and the 110 was easy to convert. Something about that long skinny bullet is a death bolt

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
At one time all Savage 110 actions were long actions. Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester’s were to. No one seems to mind them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,460
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.