Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I want a new Ruffed grouse gun. The ones I am considering
Are a :
Benelli Ultralight 20
Dickinson 16 gauge

I have had two model 12 16’s, have a Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge, and have an EJ Bland 12 gauge double choked cylinder and full. They all at times seemed a little long when in the brush.

I had a Fox Sterlingworth 26” that was probably my favorite, except it was a 12 gauge. And a Citori 28 gauge, but for some reason I didn’t shoot it all that great.
Any suggestions?

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Since the Fox was your favorite, another SxS would probably suit you best. A SxS with 26" barrels will be several inches shorter than an auto with 26" barrel. That's the way I would go.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
As you already know, different hunters define a good grouse gun and [gauge(s)] differently. I had an SKB light 12 s x s and stupidly sold it, thinking I could find another somewhat locally. I picked up an SKB O/U 20 ga, 26" barrels and really like it. I have a Model 12, 20 ga (family heirloom) that is a pleasure to handle and carry. I have a NIB Benelli M2 20 ga that I'm undecided on keeping, but time will tell.
As was suggested above, it the Sterlingworth fit you the best, look for another s x s.

C
C
I don't shoot Brownings that well either and prefer my Italian guns, I shoot them a lot better. That is common many seem to shoot one or the other better.

I have a BUL but in 12 and while I have shot grouse with it reserve it for pheasant in SD. Have shot the 20 BUL but it is just a bit too wimpy for me, and long. Have 2 Dickinson Plantation Sporters and they are good guns but use them for clays they are built for that. But wouldn't pass on a field model in 16 if it came my way at a decent price.

The new Sweet 16 A5 is a great grouse gun but a real tall drink of water to carry in the grouse woods. I think of it as my Benelli Ultralight in 16. Ended up having Briley cut it down to 23" and Mark Larson reshape that steep radius grip to a round knob. Now it is a proper grouse gun. After Briley took care of the barrel length for me it is now as long as my Ithaca 37 26" 16 ga. guns and I shoot it as well as those which I grew up with and shoot well.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

My favorite grouse gun as of late is the F.A.I.R. Iside. You can find them on Guns International or Gunbroker. Cole Guns and Lion Country Supply also carries them but they sell fast when they come in. Several of my friends have them from 28 ga. to 12 ga. with most in16 ga. Mine is 16 ga. of course. Because ruff prefers to be shot with purple shells.

Snow came early last year on the North Shore and didn't leave until a couple of months ago, or so it seems. You better hurry, the season is almost here!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd steer clear of the Dickinson guns. I've read way too many issues with them to make me purchase one. If you really wanted a modern made SxS, I'd look at the FAIR Iside. Personally, I'd buy a nice condition American classic ala Parker, Fox, LC Smith, etc and restore it. I'd really like to get a 16 gauge Fox Sterlingworth and build a custom on it. Maybe someday.

My current grouse guns consist of a Browning Citori Upland Special 20 gauge and a Benelli Ultralight 28 gauge. Which I just got the Benelli a few weeks ago and haven't hunted it yet.

To me, grouse guns are svelte sub gauges with English straight grip stocks and slim forends. Grouse hunting here in Maine is a lot more snap shooting than swinging through birds. So I like shorter, handier barrels that I can pull up fast in a covert and snap a shot off. My Citori has 24" barrels. A real bad gun to use on clays, but it's a hunting machine for me.

I see some redundancy if you get the Ultralight as you have a Montefeltro already. Not a whole lot of difference there between the two models other than a little shorter barrel and mag tube. I'd be patient and find a good Sterlingworth that has stocks that fit you. The early Philadelphia guns had a lot of drop in them and don't fit for most shooters. A 28" SxS is going to probably be like a 24" auto or pump so keep that in mind.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
IC B2

M
MnFn Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Well ColdIron, I do think purple is a good color for grouse hunting.

I don’t think I mentioned I had a Parker Trojan in 16 gauge that was pretty nice. I sold that one also. And an LC Smith in twenty gauge. That one I really wish I had kept. I should have my head examined for that.

I sold most of them to buy a beautiful 12 gauge Merkel Side lock with arabesque engraving. I was doing more pheasant hunting then.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The thick woods and brush busting for grouse in hilly terrain, I don't like the length of those flatlander guns they use in the open fields. All my upland guns used for grouse, all had shorter barrels.

The reduced length is a charm in the woods, on that nano second snap shot on a flushing grouse, with only a 2 ft window between spruce thickets.

This one here with about 40” in overall length and a sleek 6 lbs is perfect!:

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-redhead-premier-reduced-length-20-gauge-24-barrels-13-lop/

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09/06/21.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a webley and Scott 12ga under 6lb ,ic/mod factory 2 3/4 chambers , 26" barrels I'm thinking of selling.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
The thick woods and brush busting for grouse in hilly terrain, I don't like the length of those flatlander guns they use in the open fields. All my upland guns used for grouse, all had shorter barrels.

The reduced length is a charm in the woods, on that nano second snap shot on a flushing grouse, with only a 2 ft window between spruce thickets.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-redhead-premier-reduced-length-20-gauge-24-barrels-13-lop/

Good Eastern Grouse cover...2 inches of shorter barrel length isn't going to save you here. Odds are the tree will hit close to the receiver as often as the end of the barrel..Go for balance and not 26 vs 28..

May be different in your area.... however here we try to work the edges where one can get good shooting more in the open....the Dogs job is to dig them out of the nasty....

Wouldn't save you in this type either...28inches...not counting the receiver... 12 Gauge....Mod choke...Just under 6 lbs..

28 Gauge...26 inch barrel and 4 inches of receiver....IC...around 6 lbs

Working the edges....

Last edited by battue; 09/07/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
MnFn Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Good observation Battue. You are probably right. Nice to hear from you. We talked a few years ago about my 447 Merkel, iirc. Thanks for posting, I like the photos as well.
Gary

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Only what’s right for me. 😁Obviously others can make something else work.

Have resisted buying a Merkel more than once. A great SxS.

Thanks for the pic compliment. Couple Buds get a little edgy when I’m messing around with one. 👍🏻

Last edited by battue; 09/07/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would go with the sxs, but just because I seek to shoot them better than any other shotgun.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I use a Toyota and a Jack Russell dog.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
M
MnFn Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Can’t afford them.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I shoot a 1952 Remington model 11-48, 20 ga with a 28" plain barrel. Best handling shotgun I have owned.....Darrel

RAVENS & WOLVES
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Short barrels and super tight chokes for the thick woods….. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

I've never found 28" bbls on a 20ga SxS too long for grouse and woodcock here in NB. I've had them as short as 25" and still prefer the 28s for handling.

YMMV. smile

M
MnFn Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
So many choices, maybe I’ll just use my Bland. It’s pretty light

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll be out chasing grouse tomorrow which is our Michigan opener. My go to grouse gun the past two years has been a 20 gauge FAIR Iside.
I looked at Dickinson at the time that I bought the FAIR. The Dickison’s seem to have a little nicer grain in the stock but I’d rather buy an Italian made product over a Turkish made one.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As much as I like doubles especialy SXS, Benelli ultralight all the way!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
297 members (257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 45 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.