Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've done them before, but any tips?

3-2-1 method but not really 6 hours required,

Wrap towards the end or no? I have peach butchers paper if needed,

temp?

Snake method? I'll be using Kingsford and apple chunks.

I'll be using apple juice for the spritz.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Like you say, won’t need 6 hours, cutting the times in half should be plenty.
The last baby backs I did were overdone and that was on a Traeger, it’s hard to have something overcooked on one of those. But against my better judgment I thought I had to adhere to the 3-2-1 rule.

Last edited by ruffcutt; 09/06/21.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weber done ribs. 2-1-1. Not quite fall off bone but close. I like ribs that hold on bone a little.

Basket of briquets one side of kettle apple chunks.

Jesus sandals not required.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking good Fats, when and how long did you wrap?

Although, you used foil and I would use butchers paper.

And I agree, not quite into the fall off the bone ribs,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2 hours smoke, 1 hour wrap on heat, 1 hour rest in foil.

I use foil as it speeds up cooking process after smoke and easier to control heat. Also rib don't have chance to dry out as weber isnt a true indirect smoking environment where you can control heat better.

Again you have to find your comfort zone and what works best for you. Took me alot of racks of ribs on weber to get them they way everyone likes them.

Another thing I used an heavy aluminum drip pan manipulated to be a heat shield between meat side and coal side under grate.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So actually your cook time is only 3 hours.....Good info, thanks.. Rough idea on your cook temp?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I used to do ribs on my 22" Weber in a simple manner. I built a charcoal fire and split it down the middle. So I wound up with two small fires on the sides over which I placed the cooking grate handles. I could then add charcoal to the little fires through the handle holes without disturbing the cooking grate. The rack of ribs went down the middle. I called them done when they would do the cobra. By that I mean I could grab the end of the rack with the tongs and lift, and looking from the side the rack would have the "square S" appearance of a risen cobra.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth
So actually your cook time is only 3 hours.....Good info, thanks.. Rough idea on your cook temp?
. I usually figure between 3-4 hours for backs. Today I have some really meaty bastids, so I'm guessing 4 hours for these.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
I used to do ribs on my 22" Weber in a simple manner. I built a charcoal fire and split it down the middle. So I wound up with two small fires on the sides over which I placed the cooking grate handles. I could then add charcoal to the little fires through the handle holes without disturbing the cooking grate. The rack of ribs went down the middle. I called them done when they would do the cobra. By that I mean I could grab the end of the rack with the tongs and lift, and looking from the side the rack would have the "square S" appearance of a risen cobra.

Very similar approach here, but modern Weber grates have hinged openings on both sides, Very handy.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I got the hinged handles for my current 18" Weber, but I haven't yet done ribs on this size kettle.

IC B3

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Today I have some really meaty bastids, so I'm guessing 4 hours for these.

I'm familiar with your BGE skills, so,

Pics or it didn't happen..................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coming up at 6:30 or so. But, I'm doing these on my FEC100. BGE gets a day off.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About 4 hours total give or take. Since they are wrapped in HD foil for the last hour on the grill they will continue cooking off heat for the last hour while resting.

"Maybe we're all happy."

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ok, no pics, but....

smoked for 2 hours and 15 minutes, the wrapped in peach paper for another 1 hour and 15 minutes, then unwrapped for another 20 minutes to firm back up.

temps averaged about 250/275.... Used apple juice has a spritz and brown sugar added once they were wrapped,

About 4 hours total, was not fall off the bone, but the bone came clean with slight effort....

Decent meal, not award winning, but worthwhile......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice. Ought to try foil. 😎

"Maybe we're all happy."

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Nice. Ought to try foil. 😎

foil seems to neutralize the nice smokey bark that i try to achieve,

The Peach paper seems to steam yet while not killing the bark.......It will let some vapor pass through.

different strokes, for different folks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last time I did 3 hours 225. 45 minutes at 350, then sauced and another half hour. No wrapping, wifey approved

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Kenneth is great at asking questions and then not listening to a fugking thing.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i rarely do ribs on the kettle anymore since i got a WSM. my kettle has a Smokenator 1000 baffle thingie that works great for holding all the charcoal to one side. i fill it almost up with unlit kingsford and then plunk 5 or 6 lit chunks on top. i put a foil fan full of water on the bottom grate and then two racks as far away the from charcoal as i can get them. i also rigged another smaller grate that has 4" bolts for legs that goes over top of the first way to give it another layer so i can do 3 racks. my kettles are all rusted out junk so its hard to regulate the temps so i don't bother. i just let them go for 2 hours or so and then check them by eye and when they look right, i pull them, put sauce and brown sugar on them and wrap them and then put them in the oven at 225 for an hour or so. check them again by eye and slouch and when they are the way i like them, i fire up the gas grill and sear them real quick and then pull them and let rest for 15 minutes.

all this was done away with when i bought the WSM and switched over to St Louis cut spares. i can do 4 racks at 225 for as long as i like. usually 3 hours or so and then sauce, BS, sear and rest.

My diploma is a DD214

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

346 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.