Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Before we get into that whole thing about scent reduction, and which Fart-Lok suit does the best, I thought I'd re-post my rant about Baking Soda.

It's cheap, it's easy. It does a really great job. It is by no means original; I found it in a magazine back in the mid-80's before all these fancy preparations and clothing started being merchandised.

Shamanic Baking Soda Method.

How effective is it? Without it, I can be busted at 70 yards upwind of my stand. Using the method, getting nailed due to scent is no longer a problem. I've shot a buck inside 5 yards with his sister standing closer than 2 feet.

To clear up misunderstandings from previous years' posts:

1) Don't worry. No salesman will call. I don't get a dime off this.
2) I don't purport that this method (or any method) makes you scent-free. All this does is lower your stink so it does not cause alarm to the deer.
3) I am using about 8lbs of sodium bicarb a year. Yes, I used to buy 50 lb bags, but that was just a cheap way to buy it. They'd last me several years.
4) Some of what you sprinkle on your clothes can be recovered and reused.
5) If you compare sodium bicarb to laundry detergent, this is a major savings. I use detergent very sparingly and only when things get really mucked up. When I do, I use All Free& Clear.

Since last year's post, I've had one major convert to the Shamanic Baking Soda Method. Our newest member of the Shamanic Dream Team, Remnar, decided to try it. After 10 years of trying other more expensive concoctions and eating tag soup. I helped him get his first deer last November.

Lastly: My advice is to give this a try and see how it goes. You may find you need to be more or less stringent in your regimen. Use my method as a starting place.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Maybe I’m over thinking it but wouldn’t you get scent right back on your clothes when you put them on? We all have our habits, preferences and good luck stuff but walking 70 yards upwind of your stand is going to get you busted no matter what you wear or wash your clothes in. Have you been able to consistently walk upwind of deer using the baking soda?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stay tuned - the next helpful tip: How to Rube Goldberg a deer blind.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by shaman
Before we get into that whole thing about scent reduction, and which Fart-Lok suit does the best, I thought I'd re-post my rant about Baking Soda.

It's cheap, it's easy. It does a really great job. It is by no means original; I found it in a magazine back in the mid-80's before all these fancy preparations and clothing started being merchandised.

Shamanic Baking Soda Method.

How effective is it? Without it, I can be busted at 70 yards upwind of my stand. Using the method, getting nailed due to scent is no longer a problem. I've shot a buck inside 5 yards with his sister standing closer than 2 feet.

To clear up misunderstandings from previous years' posts:

1) Don't worry. No salesman will call. I don't get a dime off this.
2) I don't purport that this method (or any method) makes you scent-free. All this does is lower your stink so it does not cause alarm to the deer.
3) I am using about 8lbs of sodium bicarb a year. Yes, I used to buy 50 lb bags, but that was just a cheap way to buy it. They'd last me several years.
4) Some of what you sprinkle on your clothes can be recovered and reused.
5) If you compare sodium bicarb to laundry detergent, this is a major savings. I use detergent very sparingly and only when things get really mucked up. When I do, I use All Free& Clear.

Since last year's post, I've had one major convert to the Shamanic Baking Soda Method. Our newest member of the Shamanic Dream Team, Remnar, decided to try it. After 10 years of trying other more expensive concoctions and eating tag soup. I helped him get his first deer last November.

Lastly: My advice is to give this a try and see how it goes. You may find you need to be more or less stringent in your regimen. Use my method as a starting place.

I agree, and have been using it for years!
It works well!
Back in the 80's Arm & Hammer, came out with a baking soda machine wash for hunting clothes.
Yeah we used that too!

HS58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Maybe I’m over thinking it but wouldn’t you get scent right back on your clothes when you put them on? We all have our habits, preferences and good luck stuff but walking 70 yards upwind of your stand is going to get you busted no matter what you wear or wash your clothes in. Have you been able to consistently walk upwind of deer using the baking soda?

One of the fallacies of sodium bicarb lore is that it sucks odors out of the air. It doesn't. It does not store odors (like activated charcoal is supposed to do). What it seems to do is chemically change them. The other thing that it does is change the PH so that the odor-causing bacteria are inhibited.

What I meant was that when I was too lazy to do the baking soda, deer have winded me 70 yards upwind of my stand.

I'm not much of a pussy-footer. I'm more of a walking landform, so I don't do a whole lot of still hunting.

What I can tell you is that I've watched deer from my stand walk along my path of ingress with no signs of alertness.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman

What I can tell you is that I've watched deer from my stand walk along my path of ingress with no signs of alertness.

So have I and the only baking soda I have is about 10 years old and in the fridge.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, it’s cheap and can’t hurt. I’d be inclined to add it to the rinse cycle instead of dusting myself.

I’ve watched deer sniff at my ground scent and then just keep on doing whatever they were before. Like human urine, I’m convinced some have learned to associate it with danger, and some don’t. The public land I hunt gets a lot of foot traffic from non-hunters. If deer ran off with every whiff of human odor, they’d never stop. Even when they see you, they often seem to hang around until they think you might’ve seen them. Once the loud noises start, that changes.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I used to gather garbage bags of leaves/ pine needles and put my hunting clothes in them for 60 days prior to season.
I quit. NO difference and I've killed MORE deer.

You guys would NOT believe me about my same hunting clothes for at least the last 20 yrs.
It's not just one pair or one coat. I bought camo after season when on sale. I have a BUNCH.

Carry on.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SKane
Stay tuned - the next helpful tip: How to Rube Goldberg a deer blind.

Oh see you've hunted Wisconsin and Northern MN also.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwall
I used to gather garbage bags of leaves/ pine needles and put my hunting clothes in them for 60 days prior to season.

You guys would NOT believe me about my same hunting clothes for at least the last 20 yrs.
It's not just one pair or one coat. I bought camo after season when on sale. I have a BUNCH.

Carry on.

Jerry

I've noticed Walmart nation wide, seems to think Hunting Season for Arkansas is the same in every other state in the Union.
Oregon deer season goes from the end of Sept until the first week in November ( approximately).. as soon as it is over, Walmart gets in all their seasonal camo hunting garb and stuff..... then they flush it out 3 weeks later, with everything on sale at 20 to 25% of the original price.

Oregon would be a great place to stock up on next years hunting garb.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Seafire

Arkansas Archery begins ? Sept, ? Oct. Not a bow hunter so I don't keep up.
In October we have several days Mzzld Season.....Before 2020 it was MG Antlerless only.
The 2nd Saturday of Nov our Modern Gun season starts and runs till @ 20 Dec.

THEN we have 3 days after Christmas, 26-27-28 of Modern Gun also.

Archery runs THRU February ! ? ? I Don't Like That... some Does have bred and have fetus'.

I sure have bought camo at WM but there are several LGS, Hot Springs, Malvern, Benton, Bryant, Little Rock,
N Little Rock, Sherwood, etc.

If a fella can wait till after Christmas he can find ALL he wants on sale. Ask me how I know LOL

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 09/08/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dump a box of baking soda in the laundry with my hunting clothes, figure it can't hurt, may help.

U
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
U
I wash my clothes in baking soda and hang outside. I wash me in hunting soap starting a couple of weeks ahead of season. I also use scent killer spray and knee high rubber boots.This does not prevent being winded. It just reduces the amount of scent I leave in the woods.

A deer only has to change in it's routine by 50 yards or 30 minutes to avoid you entirely. This is about whitetail hunting in the SE.

Wish they'd start making that activated charcoal scent killer again. That stuff would de-scent your boots in a hurry.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Y’all must hunt Superman type deer noses.

Ever heard of Hunt the WIND !
Deer CAN NOT smell down wind FROM them !!

I’ve actually killed a lot of deer CROSS wind. Amazing.

S M H

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Play the wind and you can wash your clothes in diesel. If they're downwind of you, you're busted no matter what you used. Deer act differently on different days. Sometimes walking on your entrance trail. Other times staring at you for 5 minutes, snorting, and whirling around back into the bushes.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to use a lot of baking soda.

Average harvest shot was six yards, 19 head.

I think it works!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
These scent cleansing threads and ideas always crack me up. Try this experiment......take a dump in the middle of your living room. You can use ozonics, scentlok, baking soda, or whatever else you want to try to mask the scent, and guess what? You can't. None of them work as advertised. You can put it all over yourself and clothes all you want to, but nothing will contain the scent, once again, as advertised, as your body is constantly producing odor from your head, eyes, mouth, nose, etc.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Carry on.

Jerry

My fancy camo is Natural Gear; have a good bit of that in different weights and two patterns. Some of it is very well designed as to pockets and such; some not so much, but I like the pattern.

OTOH, I also bought a bunch of Euro-surplus Woodland stuff, which is really well-made and tough, including a Gore-Tex parka that cost half of what the U.S. version does. Gotta replace those pesky fly buttons with snaps though.

Agree about hunting the wind. You gotta leave the game some advantage. Those TV jokers who carry the ozone machines into the woods crack me up. Wonder if they’s still bother if they weren’t getting paid?

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/10/21.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Play the wind and you can wash your clothes in diesel. If they're downwind of you, you're busted no matter what you used. Deer act differently on different days. Sometimes walking on your entrance trail. Other times staring at you for 5 minutes, snorting, and whirling around back into the bushes.

Yep. And, I'll also add that we often think the wind is doing one thing when it's actually doing something a little different due to thermals, topography etc. But I don't care to hunt even a marginal wind - be it bow or gun hunting.

Over/under on the OP's beard being plenty odoriferous from the morning's bacon? smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think we should ask Pete, what he thinks !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.