-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been wearing green wool pants and a red and black checked Woolrich coat that was my grandfathers for the last 50 years. Deer still don’t seem to notice. I do wear mossy oak during Turkey season. Now that NY is requiring blaze orange I guess I will need to add an orange vest, over my Woolrich coat of course.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love my blue jeans for hunting. Always have.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MS9x56
Now that NY is requiring blaze orange I guess I will need to add an orange vest, over my Woolrich coat of course.

I didn't know that, glad you chimed in.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]
Aren't you taking a terrible risk wearing those non-visible boots?

The only camo that I own is a parka that I've had for at least 30 years. It's fleece, non-insulated, water proof, and loose enough to wear over anything.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have some camo clothes. However, most of the high dollar items I have tried on must be for someone 6’3” plus and weight 150#. The sleeves are always long and most jackets will only fit over designer long Johns on your arms. I’m 5’9” and around 160. I’d probably buy some if it fit. Don’t know if I’m the only who has ran into this.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some camo that I wear but don't buy anymore unless it is on sale. I shot a deer from 10 yards sitting with my back against a rock wearing blue jeans. 33 years ago I was hunting with my brother. He set a camo backpack on the ground. It took us a while to find it. Finally I told him that the thing over there that looks like a rock on the next hill was his backpack. If that happened today these eyes would no longer pick it out. I was using a binocular back then,

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

NO I haven't abandoned camo ..... I have TOOOO much of it and it DOESN'T matter, so Yes, I'm wearing it.

I have an open area clothes rack for my camo and work clothes.
If I took a pic you see that i have bought camo over the years PAST. I have more than I will live long enuff to
wear out.

I'm not ashamed of wearing it. I've already bought it.....so I'm wearing it.

Just because someone does NOT wear camo doesn't automatically make him/her a better hunter.

I'm NOT buying 'more' non camo clothes just to hunt in. It does NOT make any diff.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a lot of hunting clothes - some of it happens to be cammo.

I tend to wear it bowhunting. Duck hunting - must. Outside of that, I've been known to hunt in jeans/flannel/carhartt jackets. Whatever's warm that day. Shot a buck wearing a black hoodie with Jerry Reed on the front once. Smokey and the Bandit sweatshirt. Bill Jordan's got nothing on me.

Make sure I have a good background, don't move and don't show my face directly to a critter - that is don't get in staring contests. Seems to work.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jpb
[
Looks like that clown suit has plenty of ball room...

... even for two balls. eek grin

Too soon? eek grin

John

I must have had more swelling down there than I realized. I caught myself adjusting all my bib straps over the past week.

No, I'll take inappropriate humor any old day. In fact, I've willed my body to science, stipulating that my corpse be used for stupid practical jokes by first year med students.

Even now, I have fantasies about my testicle being used in some horrible prank. We can only dream.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
I have a lot of hunting clothes - some of it happens to be cammo.

I tend to wear it bowhunting. Duck hunting - must. Outside of that, I've been known to hunt in jeans/flannel/carhartt jackets. Whatever's warm that day. Shot a buck wearing a black hoodie with Jerry Reed on the front once. Smokey and the Bandit sweatshirt. Bill Jordan's got nothing on me.

Make sure I have a good background, don't move and don't show my face directly to a critter - that is don't get in staring contests. Seems to work.

. . . and how he got into that hoodie is anyone's guess.

IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by jpb
[
Looks like that clown suit has plenty of ball room...

... even for two balls. eek grin

Too soon? eek grin

John

I must have had more swelling down there than I realized. I caught myself adjusting all my bib straps over the past week.

No, I'll take inappropriate humor any old day. In fact, I've willed my body to science, stipulating that my corpse be used for stupid practical jokes by first year med students.

Even now, I have fantasies about my testicle being used in some horrible prank. We can only dream.

From reading many of your posts over the years, I was pretty sure that would be your attitude!

I like the bit about first year med students using you for practical jokes! What a great way to go out! laugh

John

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I mostly hunt in states that require firearms game hunters to wear 400 square inches of blaze orange on the front, back, and on the head. I perfer a blaze orange camo vest and hat, an attempt to break the blocks of solid color. One of my bowhunter friends uses a detergent without UV brighteners from Alkuhme and he recommended that I use it and leave my blaze orange gear hanging on a clothline for an extended period, as he believes that the Sun will help to degrade UV brighteners.

Black/green and black/red buffalo plaid helps to breaks the solid color and looks black at a distance in conifer forests. When I was a kid, most of the firearms deer hunters who I saw in ME, NH, and VT wore wool tops and bottoms, mostly buffalo plaid tops and solid green bottoms. Johnson Woolen Mills in VT, Labonville in NH, and Codet from Canada were the favored brands back in the 1960's and 1970's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I mostly hunt in states that require firearms game hunters to wear 400 square inches of blaze orange on the front, back, and on the head. I perfer a blaze orange camo vest and hat, an attempt to break the blocks of solid color. One of my bowhunter friends uses a detergent without UV brighteners from Alkuhme and he recommended that I use it and leave my blaze orange gear hanging on a clothline for an extended period, as he believes that the Sun will help to degrade UV brighteners.

Black/green and black/red buffalo plaid helps to breaks the solid color and looks black at a distance in conifer forests. When I was a kid, most of the firearms deer hunters who I saw in ME, NH, and VT wore wool tops and bottoms, mostly buffalo plaid tops and solid green bottoms. Johnson Woolen Mills in VT, Labonville in NH, and Codet from Canada were the favored brands back in the 1960's and 1970's.

The whole UV thing is bunk. I went to battle with Atsko years ago about their claims. It's a long story. I covered it at length here:

Elephant Repellent

BTW: I bought the Orange Clownsuit as a result of the run-in with Atsko. I vowed to wear it under a sign that read "Danger: Hunter." Believe me: That suit hurts your eyes, and it did nothing to impede my deer hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman

The whole UV thing is bunk. I went to battle with Atsko years ago about their claims. It's a long story. I covered it at length here:

Elephant Repellent

BTW: I bought the Orange Clownsuit as a result of the run-in with Atsko. I vowed to wear it under a sign that read "Danger: Hunter." Believe me: That suit hurts your eyes, and it did nothing to impede my deer hunting.

People believe what they want to believe, if they didn't there wouldn't be a market for both CNN and FOX.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I always wore just plain old Dickies work pants, usually khaki colored. I'd just sit down next to a tree and flip some leaves across my legs if I thought camo was needed. I had to wear a vest and hat in blaze orange anyway, so I didn't think camo would be much help, and maybe, sometimes, I'd wear a turkey mesh face mask to break up my pasty white face. I've never had any problems shooting a deer that way.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tan Carhartts and a some shade of green shirt.

Movement is your enemy.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here in Idaho we're not required to wear any orange at all. They recommend it but state that it's our choice, not theirs.

I've hunted some in an area with lots of hikers and trails. Virtually none of the hikers wear orange. They're the ones who are probably in more danger than the hunters but how many states require everyone in the woods to be wearing orange?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't mind wearing orange when I'm big game hunting. What I'd like to see is everyone in the woods during hunting season wearing orange, hikers and ATV'rs off their machines. Lots of rural kids back home used to wear orange waiting for the school bus in the morning. Somewhere around here I have a ghillie vest with 600sq" of orange for coyote hunting during big game season, the hood on it would go over my orange hat , most of the orange was on the back and when exiting the stand I'd open it to reveal a orange vest underneath.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have camo items for my upper body, but have stayed with solids for my pants. They are too expensive to not wear other times of the year. When rifle hunting I can't see a reason to buy camo because we have to wear orange anyway. If I was in a state that didn't require it maybe i would buy more camo. I did buy more when I was bow hunting more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get Propper brand 100% Ripstop Cotton BDU's, in M81 woodland pattern, for <$50 a set.

Lightweight/roomy/comfortable/wind and mosquito proof/fast drying/dbl seat, knees, and elbows/wears like iron.

... and breaks up the human outline.

[Linked Image from www-propper.com.imgeng.in]

GR

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 62 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.